Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Re-Animator
    I'm not sure how many of these authors are familiar because I've only just started reading Vampire books.

Here's a list of the authors:

Manly Wade Wellem
    Brian Hodge
    Carl Jacobi
    August Derleth
    Richard Laymon (I've heard of him!)
    James Kisner
    Hugh B. Cave
    Charles de Lint
    Tanya Huff
    Ed Gorman
    F. Paul Wilson

Oooooh, I might have to put this on the wish list. I've heard of all of those except for Kisner, and they're all well-respected.

That sounds like a really, really good collection. I'm glad you mentioned it.

I have to recommend Charlaine Harris's Vampire mystery series. They are found in the mystery section, not horror. Titles are Dead until Dark, Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead, and Dead to the World in that order.

The mystery does not get left behind. Sookie Stackhouse is a blonde barmaid with the ability to read minds. She is a very interesting main character.

Another good alternative history writer is Kelley Armstrong, author of Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. All four are set in the same 'universe' with overlapping characters. Bitten and Stolen focus on werewolves and the magic series focus on witches. Very well done. There are a few vampires in Industrial Magic.

Susan

I d on't know if anyone has tried these but there is a new series of humerous/romance Vampires. It is written by Mary Janice Davidson and there are 2 out so far: Undead and Unwed and Undead and Unemployed .

They are a laugh and they make fun of the dark, gothic vampire traditions. The main character accidentally becomes the most powerful vampire on earth, and refuses to follow the 'vampire' rules. The romance part is pretty mild, thankfully. She is linked to a male vampire and she doesn't like him, but lusts after him, and they spend time sparring.

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison is also pretty good. It is an outright rip-off of Anita Blake but she does some interesting things with it. The main character is a witch and goes into partnership as paranormal detectives with a vampire. It is set in the modern world that due to a plague has more beasties than humans. The 2nd book in the series The Good, the Bad, and the Undead is coming out soon.

Blog Entries
    Just finished Robin McKinley's Sunshine......it was one of those times when I found myself rereading and rereading the last few pages, simply to prolong my time with characters I was reluctant to leave behind.

I wonder if McKinley intends to resume the story of Rae and Constantine? It seems undone......

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have to recommend Brian Lumley's Necroscope series to add to the list, they are anything but classical period books but the take on vampires I thought to be quite original and the way it expands as the series progresses makes it quite engrossing.

L.A. Banks also has a series that uses vampires and slayers. There are 4 out now I think. The series is called Vampire Huntress Legend .

They are: Minion, The Awakening, The Bitten, The Hunted

There is a fantastic collection of Vampire short stories called (cheesiest title ever) The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories. Despite the title and the very bad cover, I highly reccomend this.

I Am Leged by Richard Matheson
    Interview with the Vampire & The Vampire Lestat Anne Rice

For humorous, yet faithul to the myth and engaging novels check out Andrew W. Fox's:
    Fat White Vampire Blues
    Bride of the Fat White Vampire

For a science-fictional apocalyptic, entertaing, pulpy look at vampires, check out E.E. Knight's Vampire Earth novels. Thus far two have been published:
    The Way of the Wolf
    Choice of the Cat

Reed-Sternberg Cell DrBloodmoney1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    I Am Leged by Richard Matheson
    Interview with the Vampire & The Vampire Lestat Anne Rice

For humorous, yet faithul to the myth and engaging novels check out Andrew W. Fox's:
    Fat White Vampire Blues
    Bride of the Fat White Vampire

For a science-fictional apocalyptic, entertaing, pulpy look at vampires, check out E.E. Knight's Vampire Earth novels. Thus far two have been published:
    The Way of the Wolf
    Choice of the Cat

I followed this thread from the fantasy forum where Blabla asked for a recommendation. Of course, since Fitz has impeccable taste, he already recommended one of my new favorite series: Vampire Earth by EE Knight.

I wholeheartedly second it. Especially since the third book in the series Tale of the Thunderbolt just came out in mmpb from Roc.

BoA Manager
    Amelia Atwater Rhodes writes some good vampire anovels. she also writes like shape shifters and stuff. her first book, In the Forest's of the Night was published when she was 13!!! i think she's 21 this year and has like 7 or so published books but most of them are like one - two night reads. they aren't long but are still prettyt interesting.

If by coolest you mean most ridiculus, then I have to agree that yes, it is the coolest film ever made

Quote Originally Posted by djrobc666
    Thats good to hear, is'nt it the coolest film ever made. So what other books and films do you like.

Nah, the best Vamp Movie is still Lost Boys. Can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by LUKEDAWG
    Underworld was okay, but it's nowhere near up to the caliber of Interview with the Vampire, or even Bram Stokers Dracula, those still reign supreme in my eyes as the best vamp films.

Definetely reccomend Anner Rice's early books...like Interview with the Vampire, Vampire Lestat, Queen fo the Dmned (was okay but a lot's revealed).

Salems Lot is pretty good, and I also really reccomend THE KEEP by F. Paul Wilson, about nazi soldiers who have taken sanctuary in a castle, and are hunted by a vampire, long time since I've read the book but it was pretty good as I remember it.

empress
    i don't know any vampire novels, i haven't read any yet, maybe y'all can tell me too. if you're talking about movies Vampire Hunters and Interview With The Vampire are the best!

Vampire stories

If you really like vampire stories, there are two pretty good anthologies you can find without much trouble:

_Vamps_ edited by Martin Greenberg. It deals with female vampires, and includes:
    One for the Road -- Stephen King
    She Only Goes Out at Night -- William Tenn
    Heredity -- David H. Keller, M.D.
    Clarimonda -- Théophile Gautier; trans. by Lafcadio Hearn
    The Cloak -- Robert Bloch
    For the Blood Is the Life -- F. Marion Crawford
    The Last Grave of Lill Warran [John Thunstone] -- Manly Wade Wellman
    The Girl with the Hungry Eyes -- Fritz Leiber
    Ken’s Mystery -- Julian Hawthorne
    Restless Souls [Jules de Grandin] -- Seabury Quinn
    The Drifting Snow -- August Derleth
    When It Was Moonlight -- Manly Wade Wellman
    Luella Miller -- Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
    Dress of White Silk -- Richard Matheson
    Red as Blood -- Tanith Lee
    Carmilla [Martin Hesselius] -- Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

The other, and probably more important anthology, is _The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories_ -- it's been reissued under other names since then. I frequently come across it in used bookstores. It includes,
    Fragment of a Novel -- Lord George Gordon Byron
    The Vampyre -- Dr. John William Polidori
    Varney, the Vampyre; or, The Feast of Blood -- James Malcolm Rymer
    The Mysterious Stranger -- Anon.
    Carmilla [Martin Hesselius] -- Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
    Good Lady Ducayne -- Mary Elizabeth Braddon
    Dracula’s Guest [Dracula] -- Bram Stoker -- ss Dracula’s Guest, London: Routledge, 1914; written in 1897 as part of Dracula, this chapter was omitted from the published book for reasons of length.
    Luella Miller -- Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
    For the Blood Is the Life -- F. Marion Crawford
    The Transfer -- Algernon Blackwood
    The Room in the Tower -- E. F. Benson
    An Episode of Cathedral History -- M. R. James
    A Rendezvous in Averoigne -- Clark Ashton Smith
    Shambleau [Northwest Smith] -- C. L. Moore
    Revelations in Black -- Carl Jacobi
    School for the Unspeakable -- Manly Wade Wellman
    The Drifting Snow -- August Derleth
    Over the River -- P. Schuyler Miller
    The Girl with the Hungry Eyes -- Fritz Leiber
    The Mindworm -- C. M. Kornbluth
    Drink My Blood [“Drink My Red Blood”] -- Richard Matheson
    Place of Meeting -- Charles Beaumont
    The Living Dead -- Robert Bloch
    Pages from a Young Girl’s Journal -- Robert Aickman
    The Werewolf and the Vampire -- R. Chetwynd-Hayes
    Love-Starved -- Charles L. Grant
    Cabin 33 [Saint-Germain] -- Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
    Unicorn Tapestry -- Suzy McKee Charnas
    Following the Way -- Alan Ryan
    The Sunshine Club -- Ramsey Campbell
    The Men and Women of Rivendale -- Steve Rasnic Tem
    Bite-Me-Not or, Fleur de Feu -- Tanith Lee

By the way,
    http://www.locusmag.com/index/
    is your friend. It's not perfect and it's not above criticism, but it has lots of handy information.

Randy M.