Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

Best Space Opera

Which series deserves this award in your opinion? I was thinking of either Hyperion or Hamilton's Disruption of Reality series, but I admit that I'm not well-read in Sci-Fi so there may be a lot I'm missing/

I've heard the term, but I've never been sure of it's meaning--what is "space opera"? Is it like a science fiction soap opera?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mark

I've sen it described as "tales of adventure among the stars".So on that basis a good example would be EE Doc Smith's Lensman series.
    Perhaps "Star Wars" films might be another way of illustrating Space Opera.

Please ignore what I posted above!Follow the link and get a much better idea than mine.....I must learn to scroll to the end of a thread before posting in future

Thanks for the link! It all makes sense now...

I have not read most of the series' that were discussed, but of those I have read, I really liked the first few Dune books (not space opera, it was stated) and I am enjoying the Uplift series.

It wasn't mentioned there, and maybe it is TOO light (or perhaps too cheesy?) for you experts in science fiction, but has anyone read the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series by Piers Anthony? I thoroughly enjoyed those books--just plain fun!

Blog Entries
    Pleasure!

Pleased the link helps.

Mithfânion - is it Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn series you mean? If so, out of the two you mention, Dan Simmons is the best, though I like Peter Hamilton. Simmons's works on so many levels - and I really liked the Endymion sequel too. Hamilton has the range (and weight!) of space opera - many many characters in many places and situations, though I have heard it said (probably round here!) that his style is very 'British' and that it can get some getting used to.

As for 'best' soap opera....hmmm...probably would have to go for the obvious and say Frank Herbert's Dune, in terms of scope and depth as well as length.

Hobbit
    Mark

Yep, I've read the Bio of a Space Tyrant series and found it quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwwyn View Post
    Yep, I've read the Bio of a Space Tyrant series and found it quite enjoyable.
    Loved the space tyrant series!

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread but I really enjoyed Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (pseudonym for Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck), book one of The Expanse. It is a space opera with elements of horror and noir. A detective investigating a missing persons case discovers space zombies. That's an incredibly over simplified synopsis but will give you a feel for the genre elements. :-) As far as the horror aspects go, atmospherically it reminded me of the video game Dead Space.

Book three, entitled Abaddon's Gate, was released earlier this month. I'm planning to start Caliban's War (book two) and then maybe move on from there. My understanding is that while set in the same universe and continuity, the books are not direct sequels.

Blog Entries
    Book three, entitled Abaddon's Gate, was released earlier this month. I'm planning to start Caliban's War (book two) and then maybe move on from there. My understanding is that while set in the same universe and continuity, the books are not direct sequels.
    They do follow on from each other and there's events early on that affect things later. Whilst there are some characters who run through the whole series, there are new characters in every book.

You can pick up most of it without having to have read the other books; but you may miss some of the finer details.

M.
    Last edited by Hobbit; June 19th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Mark

The Expanse series is good stuff....loved all three and found out there will be at least three more books in the series.

Really enjoy the main characters,so well written,perfectly imperfect people,you can really relate.

James Jim Holden.The every man reluctant yet not so reluctant hero...

Naomi Nagata one of the strongest most capable female characters I've read in awhile...

And Amos and Alex....

I'd recommend this to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    They do follow on from each other and there's events early on that affect things later. Whilst there are some characters who run through the whole series, there are new characters in every book.
    I see that now! It was a pleasant surprise seeing a Holden chapter. My earlier impression was obviously incorrect.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Hobbit,I'm not sure. How many series has Hamilton written?

I wonder what sort of style is defined as "british"

Blog Entries

Yes, I know what you mean, Mith - being British, it threw me for a minute or two. I think what was meant that it was in a rather calm, responsible 'stiff upper lip' style - Arthur C Clarke is the nearest comparison I can think of perhaps, or Stephen Baxter. (I'm not saying I agree with the comment btw!)

That of course then begs the question 'if that's British, then what is XXX?' Something to think about for later, perhaps.

To answer the other question, Hamilton has only really written two main series - the most well known is the Night's Dawn Trilogy.

In essence they are:

1. Reality Dysfunction
    2. Neuronium Alchemist
    3. Naked God
    but -
    4. A Second Chance at Eden is a book of short stories in the same series.

There is a book that gives an overview (the Confederation Handbook) of the Night's Dawn series.

His first series in the UK though was the Greg Mandel series. Mandel is a sort of a psi-boosted mercenary cyber-detective in a near future UK where the climate has changed and the country is run by multinationals and an extreme government.

They are: Mindstar Rising (1993), A Quantum Murder (1994) and The Nano Flower (1995).

Quite entertaining and perhaps easier to get into than the Night's Dawn series.

Hobbit
    Mark