Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by randar23rhenn View Post
    About David Weber's Honor series- is it completed now or is he still writing books in it?
    There are many books to come; 2, most likely 3 in 2009 (Shadow Saganami 2 - ~3/09, Crown Slaves 2 ~4-6/09, Honor 12 fall-winter 09)

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    There are many books to come; 2, most likely 3 in 2009 (Shadow Saganami 2 - ~3/09, Crown Slaves 2 ~4-6/09, Honor 12 fall-winter 09)
    :| So many!

Are any of his many series' finished? I want to read his stuff but I want to start with a series thats done.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by randar23rhenn View Post
    :| So many!

Are any of his many series' finished? I want to read his stuff but I want to start with a series thats done.
    Well I guess you are out of luck since in all his current series there are quite a few books planned. There is a standalone In Fury Born, one series that is on hiatus (Empire From Ashes), one series that most likely Mr. Weber is not going to write though others will (Bug), but the 4 main series, Honor, Safehold/Gbaba, Multiverse, Bazhell are all going strong with many volumes planned in each.

Also the Ringo/Weber series with Prince Roger is at a plateau after 4 books and even though 7 are planned it is not clear when/if they will be written.

Personally I am very happy to go with the ride and part of the fun is waiting and guessing what's next. I rarely read finished series if I have not started them when ongoing.

about Stephen R. Donaldson... I have "The Gods Themselves" that I got when I was like 15 or 16 randomly because it was a bargain book and looked cool, but of course its part of a series..

is donaldson considered space opera? what series is that book a part of (i cant remember) and is that series good?

based on Donaldson's first effort (Covenant), I'd have to say 'fantasy'; but that might have changed since that trilogy is the only thing I've read by him.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Gods Themselves was, as far as I remember, a book by Isaac Asimov. It was not part of a series.

The Donaldson series that you're thinking of is collectively called The Gap series.

They are:

1. The Real Story: The Gap into Conflict (1990)
    2. Forbidden Knowledge: The Gap into Vision (1991)
    3. Dark and Hungry God Arises: The Gap into Power (1992)
    4. Chaos and Order: The Gap into Madness (1994)
    5. This Day All Gods Die: The Gap into Ruin (1996)

They are very violent SF Space Opera. Donaldson spent a lot of time listening to Wagner whilst writing, and it shows.

Stephen told me earlier this year that they are due for re-release in the UK soon; they may be omnibus editions.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

yes i meant i had this day all gods die. i havent had much sleep this week, in case you can't tell

thank you for the comment though, the phrase "very violent space opera" is an instant sale

Blog Entries
    LOL. Happens all the time to me too, randar.

If it's book 5 in the series, does it make sense without reading the others?

I'm sure you could work out most of what was going on, but I suspect there's a lot you couldn't...

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Oh I'm not saying I'm going to start with the last one, I was just saying I have it in my collection and was wondering if it's worth picking up the others so I can actually read the series, since I very much want to.

Since you're in the habit of answering each questoin I have (and I thank you for that) would you happen to know if Dread Empire's Fall is any good for Space Opera?

Regarding the reissuing of the Stephen Donaldson books: I checked the Gollancz/Orion website and they are slated for a september the 4th release this year. The first two (Gap into Conflict & Gap into Vision) will be published as one fat omnibus - 942 pages. The other three will be published seperately by Gollancz.

Might be a good moment for readers new to the Gap to jump into the series.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that, Lawrence. I agree.

The Real Story: The Gap into Conflict was only short anyway when it was first published: about 200 pages. After the length of Covenant I was surprised.

The other books in the series are longer.

Funnily enough, Stephen and I were talking about omnibuses. As I handed over a large paperback copy of the omnibus of Mordant's Need to sign, he wryly said that sometimes such large books had all the problems of a paperback and none of the benefits of a hardback.

I could see what he meant. Sure that won't be the case here though.

would you happen to know if Dread Empire's Fall is any good for Space Opera?
    Well, it's Space Opera.

For those not aware, the Dread Empire's Fall series by Walter Jon Williams is made up of:

1. The Praxis (2002)
    2. The Sundering (2003)
    3. Conventions of War (2004)

I only read the first. Thought it was OK, but not really inspired to pick up the rest. If I remember right at the time I preferred Alastair Reynolds. I have had others tell me that the books get better with perseverance though. Might be worth a go.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Thank you again. I now consider you my encyclopedia of sci fi.

I'll be picking up the other gap books online, because i noticed that republication is for the UK, not U.S.

Blog Entries
    No problem: that's what we're here for!

It's perhaps worth mentioning The Book Depository, who, with free shipping, might be able to get those books as new to you fairly cheaply.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    For those not aware, the Dread Empire's Fall series by Walter Jon Williams is made up of:

1. The Praxis (2002)
    2. The Sundering (2003)
    3. Conventions of War (2004)

I only read the first. Thought it was OK, but not really inspired to pick up the rest. If I remember right at the time I preferred Alastair Reynolds. I have had others tell me that the books get better with perseverance though. Might be worth a go.

Mark / Hobbit
    Actually there was a 2 year gap between book 2 and 3 in the UK, and since the US editions came one year later each, the last volume came out simultaneously US/UK in 2005.

I enjoyed the series to a lot and I agree that the first volume is the weakest - though the middle part, published first as a famous novella in Asimov's and detailing the beginnings of Lady Sula was excellent -

Because of that gap a post series novella was published in the meantime in the Between the Worlds anthology, so I knew a lot about the ending...

If Mr. Williams finally gets the break he deserves with Night Shade he may write more books in this universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    No problem: that's what we're here for!

It's perhaps worth mentioning The Book Depository, who, with free shipping, might be able to get those books as new to you fairly cheaply.
    That link doesn't work for some reason.

Also, isn't that, again, a UK web site?