There have been topics about many of these authors but no real dedicated topic to what can be considered Young Adult Fantasy.

I'm talking about Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass[US]/Northern Lights/[UK], The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass); Neil Gaiman's wonderful Coraline, Michael Chabon's fun and fantastic Summerland, the Lemony Snicket Books (though more dark in tone than actual fantasy, but it feels right lumping them here), the Narnia books, Garth Nix's work (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen) to name a few.

I've found myself being drawn to these books lately and I am really enjoying these books and admiring the skill the authors have to utilize in getting their voice in the right frame for the intended teen-ish audience. What is great about the books I've metioned above (Aside from Garth Nix, who I haven't read yet though the SFBC ominbus of the three books is on the way, thanks to my friend for joining the club so I could get some free books! ), is how well they work for adults. Again, for the books I mentioned above, should not be pooh-poohed simply because they are marketed as YA books.

Of course there are the Potter books as well. And please don't tell me about Shannara and WOT. Yes teens read them, but they are only now being re-marketed for the Young Adult market.

Anyway, I really would like to get people's thoughts on this growing part of the genre as well as thoughts on either the authors above or those I haven't mentioned.

Here are some of the topics I found for the specific authors/books:
Garth Nix
Dark Materials (Philip Pullman)
Tamora Pierce
Harry Potter
The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper