Blog Entries

Discussion from SFFWorld Best of 2012 Voting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    1. Percepliquis - Michael J. Sullivan
    2. The Blinding Knife - Brent Weeks
    3. King of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
    4. Red Country - Joe Abercrombie
    5. Besieged - Rowena Cory Daniells
    Woohoo - Thanks for the Percepliquis love!

Your welcome Michael! it is so nice when the last book of a series is the best and your book topped my list which has several other great books on it. I have already pre-ordered The Crown Tower and I am really looking forward to your Riyria Chronicles series and revisiting with some of my favorite characters.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the success of your Riyria series. I was hooked from the beginning with The Crown Conspiracy and it has really been fun to see your books becoming discussed more and more on the various fantasy sites and getting the credit they deserve.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    Your welcome Michael! it is so nice when the last book of a series is the best and your book topped my list which has several other great books on it. I have already pre-ordered The Crown Tower and I am really looking forward to your Riyria Chronicles series and revisiting with some of my favorite characters.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the success of your Riyria series. I was hooked from the beginning with The Crown Conspiracy and it has really been fun to see your books becoming discussed more and more on the various fantasy sites and getting the credit they deserve.
    You are great! I really appreciate the support...and oh so glad the books have entertained. Making a great "last book" is helped by writing them all before releasing any. A lot of the "cool ideas" that I came up late in the series were able to be weaved earlier on - I'm hoping that in March I can start my next "big series" and my intention is to write all those books before publishing too...will be a challenge as that means an extended period of time with no books coming out - but I think the result is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    I'm hoping that in March I can start my next "big series" and my intention is to write all those books before publishing too...will be a challenge as that means an extended period of time with no books coming out - but I think the result is worth it.
    I'm happy to hear this. I agree and really believe this method of writing makes for better, tighter stories. And, since I don't read series until they are completed, anyway, I don't mind the wait.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    You are great! I really appreciate the support...and oh so glad the books have entertained. Making a great "last book" is helped by writing them all before releasing any. A lot of the "cool ideas" that I came up late in the series were able to be weaved earlier on - I'm hoping that in March I can start my next "big series" and my intention is to write all those books before publishing too...will be a challenge as that means an extended period of time with no books coming out - but I think the result is worth it.
    That's actually a great idea. Due to my limitless generosity, I am volunteering to review your drafts before publication

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I wish there were more than 5 spots available, because I feel bad about leaving out
    - The Troupe by Robert Jackson Bennett
    - Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovich
    - Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed
    and especially Night of the Swarm by Robert Redick, which I just finished last night. I checked the votes though, and I believe the last Chathrand book will qualify for next year's voting, as it won't place in the top five for 2012, and there will be paperback editions in 2013.

My votes all went to SF books (I consider Osama by Lavie Tidhar SF rather than fantasy, but it is grey). It was a really strong year for SF. That's not to say that it doesn't seam like a good year for fantasy too. I just didn't read enough of it (having our second baby in September has impacted on my reading time). I am finally digging properly into Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce and even though I'm only halfway through I can see that it would have made my list if I'd read it in 2012. I've also read The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham and that would have been along way off making my list. It was a real letdown in the end and I won't be finishing the trilogy. I also wish I had read Empty Space by M. John Harrison in 2012, as I'm sure ill love it, but I need to revisit the first two books in the trilogy first.