View Poll Results: Which anthologist do you prefer?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gardner Dozois

0 0%
  • David G Hartwell

2 66.67%
  • Other

1 33.33%

Which Anthologist do you prefer?

If the choice is between Gardner Dozois (Year's Best Science Fiction xxth Annual Collection) and David G Hartwell (Year's Best SF X), which do you prefer?

I've only read a couple of the Dozois but I'm nearly finished the most recent Hartwell. My personal preference is for Hartwell. The stories he chooses just seem to be more in line with the type of SF I like (usually the harder stuff). Dozois seems to have a broader cross section of the genre and might more correctly be called Year's Best Speculative Fiction.

I'm curious what others think.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    I haven't read any Hartwell anthologies that I can remember, but I have read several of Dozois' yearly anthologies. I really enjoyed them. Perhaps because I like a large variety of science fiction types or themes. I also really enjoyed his yearly "report" or introduction.

My one gripe is that Dozois' books are bloody doorstoppers. His list of honorable mentions must surely contain nearly every story written over the year.

Kamakhya

Originally posted by Kamakhya
    My one gripe is that Dozois' books are bloody doorstoppers. His list of honorable mentions must surely contain nearly every story written over the year.

Kamakhya
    They're certainly doorstoppers! And expensive. Dozois is definitely comprehensive but I prefer Hartwell. If you enjoy Hard SF or Space Opera you should give Hartwell a go. His Year's Best SF 7 is just out in the US.