Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Has anyone here experienced Star Wars burn out?

Heaven knows I certainly have!!! You see, before I started reading other sci-fi novels and fantasy novels, the Star Wars novels were the only novels I read!! I watched the Star Wars Trilogy practically one every month!!
    Then, I began reading fantasy novels and plus I found out that there's more excellent and more sophisticated sci-fi novels and sci-fi space-opera novels out there besides the Star Wars ones. So now I'm reading other things than Star Wars, and honestly, I'm going through a Star Wars burn-out stage right now, so I'm kind of tired of Star Wars for now. I imagine I'll start back into Star Wars fandom again someday, but I fear it's not going to be anytime soon. Sure, I'm excited about Episode II, but not as excited as I was when I was a hardcore SW fan. To tell you the truth, I'm more excited about seeing "LOTR: The Two Towers", than I am with seeing Star Wars Episode II, which is probably true with just about everyone, because, from what I've seen, the LOTR movies have made a much bigger impression than the Star Wars movies.
    So, has anyone on this board experienced Star Wars burn-out, like I have?

I can relate... I still have the entire X-Wing series and a few of the New Jedi Order novels to read as well. I picked up the EP I DVD the day it was released... still haven't watched the whole thing yet! Maybe I'm just jaded because Lucas won't release the original movies on DVD until he's finished EP III. Argggg

And I think I'm more excited about seeing the new Spider-man movie than EP II or Two Towers!

Infidels! You can't abbandon Star Wars! Never!
    Star Wars is the very essance of life. It's sacred as the life of all living things togheter. Know that once you have taken the step to the Dark Side of nonstarwars there is no return for your lost souls!

Perhaps this would fit in the fanatics thread...

Head of the Chicken Mafia Killer Chicken's Avatar
    Hey, no one knows me on this forum, but I post occasionally. Zsinj, I know exactly how you feel. You took the words right out of my mouth. I used to love Star Wars and read only SW books. I loved them to no end. I still own over sixty of them and still buy them occasionally. But after finding a new and better genre *fantasy* I can never go back. And by the way, I think that Lucas is going to end the galaxy in The New Jedi Order. I think they will end once he releases episode three and the Vong will have conquered the galaxy and everyone will be dead. Just my prediction.

As I have said before. This thread is filled with evil infidels. I will bring this matter before the jedi counsil and we shall clense this place once and for all!!!

Ah, Star Wars...

I loved it as a kid, but the endless merchandising (including the books) and the new, shoddy prequels has really diluted the franchise.

If only they'd just made the original trilogy and left it at that, as it is I can't care less about Star Wars.

Cadfael
    Okay... it could also be the case as you are getting older your reading taste is maturing... I know there are some Star Wars fans over the age of 16, and I am not having a poke at them.

Star Wars burnout ? Oh yes, definitely.
    When I saw the first S.W. movie I was fascinated, I stayed to watch it a second time. I saw it a third time not long after that. I was hooked ! I went to see its sequel too (where Harrison Ford gets frozen) but there already - or was it in the third sequel ? - I felt that special effects (which were admittedly fantastic) were taking precedence over plot and characterization, which I get the impression now were actually not much more than an excuse for preying on the archetypes living in our minds... and I don't even remember if I ever saw the third sequel...
    As for the novelizations, never once did the thought of reading one of them cross my mind. Had the novels been written before the movies were made, I would probably have read them, but as it is, they are bound to be of lesser quality than the movie, as they were only written because the movie was such a huge success.
    Same as with Clarke's 2001 : A Space Odyssey. I never read the book, because it was written after the movie .

Actually Clarke's novelisation of '2001' appeared before the movie's premiere. If anyone is confused or curious about what the film is about, I'd recommend picking up Clarke's novel. Kubrick did everything possible to make the movie vague and ambiguous.

I started reading SF/Fantasy with the original Star Wars movie novelisations and spin-offs by Alan Dean Foster and Brian Daley. But I've no desire to read any of the newer books. I think that the dreaded 'unending merchandising potential of a long running series' is rearing its head with the New Jedi Order books.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Since the topic is about Star Wars, I just want to give a friendly suggestion that in case someone wants to reveal something about Attack of Clones, use Spoiler warnings please.

Not everyone has seen it yet.

Keyoke

[This message has been edited by Keyoke (edited May 17, 2002).]

Raisuli,

Actually Clarke's novelisation of '2001' appeared before the movie's premiere.
    unquote

Are you sure ? I read that the book was written after the movie. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but I thought that the movie was *not* based on a book by A.C. Clarke but on an original script, and the book was inspired by this script - ok, maybe it was written and published before the movie was finished, but I think the book was definitely written *after* the fact - the conception, the script, of the movie.

If anyone is confused or curious about what the film is about, I'd recommend picking up Clarke's novel. Kubrick did everything possible to make the movie vague and ambiguous.
    unquote

Yes, there as an unreal and weird quality about the movie, especially after the part where Hal, the computer gets "crazy".
    Also, some questions never got answered, like for example, who were the original beings who left the stone ?

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    It's taken u this long to realise.

To: Asimovian

Yes, what I meant was that Clarke's novel was not an original book, but was the result of the screenplay. I misundertood your point about its release in your post. The original inspiration for '2001' was Clarke's short story 'The Sentinel'.

Well you won't find answers to HAL's behaviour and who the aliens were in the novelisation. HAL is explained in '2010'. The aliens never really are explained.

Back to Star Wars. I agree with Alai. We must cease ANY criticism at once. The consequences are too horrible to contemplate otherwise. Do you want to face an enraged Yoda after seeing Episode II?!!!!!!
    (It's difficult to type with your tongue in your cheek though.)

fluffy bunny, you are not serious !
    Do you really think that because I am mentioning it *now*, I realized it only *now* ?