Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Raisuli,

The original inspiration for '2001' was Clarke's short story 'The Sentinel'.
    unquote

Ah.

Well you won't find answers to HAL's behaviour and who the aliens were in the novelisation. HAL is explained in '2010'. The aliens never really are explained.
    unquote

Oh, I can't be bothered anymore now. It's too long ago.

Back to Star Wars. I agree with Alai. We must cease ANY criticism at once. The consequences are too horrible to contemplate otherwise. Do you want to face an enraged Yoda after seeing Episode II?!!!!!!
    unquote

You are right. Anyone who has seen Episode II will look at Yoda with renewed respect !
    And BTW, I saw it two days ago, and I was surprised ; it's really good - certainly as good, if not better, as the very first S.W. movie (partly due to meanwhile much more sophisticated special effects).
    But I feel that if the first movie was for grown-up children, this one is much more for grown-ups and much less for children ; there have been a few moments which are really not suited for tender souls... I think you know what I am talking about. This movie is, in a very Additionally, the first movie had a feel of adventure to it ; Episode II by comparison is dead-serious. The occasional slightly ridiculous-looking alien won't change this.
    But then, between the two episodes about 27 years have elapsed, and young people have had ample time to get used to ultra-realistically imagined violence through computer games. The audience may be listening, but it is not the same anymore...

Raisuli, I would like to correct myself :

Additionally, the first movie had a feel of adventure to it ; Episode II by comparison is dead-serious. The occasional slightly ridiculous-looking alien won't change this.
    unquote

Of course Episode II is an adventure too, and an extremely fast-paced one. What I should have said is : the first SW movie was much more a fairy-tale ; this one has a much more realistic feel.

In the hallowed burial chambers of Mighty Mouse. Causing havoc with every post,
    Right on Asmovian.
    it's really good - certainly as good, if not better, as the very first S.W. movie (partly due to meanwhile much more sophisticated special effects).
    I could not agree more with this statement. Yeah, Episode II is not as character driven as the origanal. But, the wow factor, of the special effects overrides most of the shoddy dialect and acting that plagues some points of the film.

As for the Star Wars burn out. I am beginning to be tainted by this. I am still faithfully trudging through the New Jedi Order series. But where as before I would read a book three or four times, I am now more than satisfied with a single serving. Well that is my two bits.

Banned
    Has anyone here experienced Star Wars burn out?
    Years ago. It started with my first philosophy book, and then I started reading the Dislocated Fiction columns and it all went to hell. Alongside that, I did, as someone pointed out, grow out of it. At 21, my mind has higher requirements than any Star Wars book can provide.

But I'll still be buying Mat Stover's book - I have to support the High Muckety Muck of Smartasses.

Currently seeking gainful employment. He does after all have four little ogglets to feed.
    Originally posted by Qin

At 21, my mind has higher requirements than any Star Wars book can provide.

Women and beer! What Star Wars book could provide that, huh??

Banned
    Beer? Yuck! Here's a supplemental list:

Good Wine
    Good Literature
    Good Company
    Good Music
    Beautiful Women

Not a bad list, Qin, just replace Wine with Beer, IMHO.

Banned
    I've never really developed a taste for beer. I've tried it now and then, but all I can handle as far as beer is concerned is Mike's Hard Lemonade. Different strokes and different folks, eh?

Shef,

I could not agree more with this statement. Yeah, Episode II is not as character driven as the original. But, the wow factor, of the special effects overrides most of the shoddy dialect and acting that plagues some points of the film.
    unquote

The acting was not overall of best quality indeed. Anakin, to name one, especially looked inexperienced and to me not very convincing in his role as a Jedi master. Yoda's coming out as a perfect acrobat, while we were used to see him as a crippled, old, little creature, is a bit hard to take too.
    The special effects however, and the scenery (and I am not only thinking of the natural one) are amazing.
    I am thinking, to mention a few examples, of the parliamentary session with Palpatine - the vastness of the surroundings is impressive (and did you notice the subtle expression on the alien speaker's face ? - which made me reflect to myself - rightly or wrongly - that eyes and a mouth are essentially all that is needed, no matter how the head to which they belong is conformed, to convey expession). So was the scene in the droid factory where these little humans had to make almost superhuman efforts in order not to get killed, and so was too the scene towards the end in which one of the fleeing ships, these giant metal globes, was being shot down - with what majestic slowness it sank back into the ground ! It was amazing.
    I had a few slight misgivings, it is true, particularly with some of the aliens (like the ridiculous one who had sold Anakin's mother and who talked with - what an idea ! - an italian immigrant's accent ; I suppose this must have been one of the insider jokes which are understood only by Americans ; his facial expression however, again, was very well done), and also with some scenes which brought together Anakin and Padme : why were we granted so often and so insistingly a close-up view on the little hairs in Anakin's neck ? Would Padme's not have been somewhat nicer ?
    I have to add that most of the qualities I am talking about came much more into evidence, for me, when I went to see the movie a second time, a few days ago.

Banned
    I recently saw a film, The Importance of Being Earnest, a film with absolutely no special effects that relied entirely on acting and dialogue, and the time flew by. In contrast, Attack of the Clones, which is a little over two and a half hours, felt like a five hour experience.

You may not believe it now, or understand why, but the ability of an actor to make viewers believe that he or she commands that role is vital. Unfortunately, no real attempt is made by the actors in Star Wars to actually believe in their roles. Neither are they helped by a script that lacks is both dull and lacking in vitality.

Many critics have made positive remarks regarding the special effects. I, on the other hand, found the effects to be a hinderance and a crutch for George Lucas.

Digital films may be beautiful to look at, even ones as sterile as the new Star Wars movies, but until they take their scripts and characters seriously, they'll never be anywhere near as interesting to watch as the original trilogy - or as a better example - or Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. A braindead script does not a movie make.

Ah, Qin...

I was beginning to despair about the people who post on these forums, but it seems that some are finally coming to their senses.

It's refreshing to read posts by someone who isn't all "Have you read the latest Star Wars book? It rocks! And I can't wait for the next Shannara sequel by Terry Brooks! Eddings rules!!!"

I completely agree with your opinions on Attack of the Clones. It just seemed like hours of insipid melodrama, bookended by flashy action sequences that I couldn't bring myself to care about because I had no emotional investment in the characters.

Also, special effects should be used to enhance the story, and not as a substitute for one.

Banned
    I'm not the only one here who sees beyond the glitz of the movie, so I deserve no more praise than any other person. And as with many others, I refuse to be apologetic towards the movie.

When I went to see the movie, the strangest thing was the audience. It seemed to be split fairly evenly between 'hardcore' Star Wars fans and casual movie goers.

You could tell who was who by, at a certain point in the film, the cries of "Look at the green puppet dance! That's just dumb." and "Dude, Yoda kicks ass! "...

Talking

Originally posted by Qin
    I'm not the only one here who sees beyond the glitz of the movie, so I deserve no more praise than any other person. And as with many others, I refuse to be apologetic towards the movie.
    You are right, of course.

In fact, you don't deserve any praise at all.

In fact, I have just discovered a deep seated, instinctive hatred of both you and everything you stand for...

(in my best Witchfinder General voice)

"Burn the Qin! Burn the Qin!"

Banned
    >>>In fact, I have just discovered a deep seated, instinctive hatred of both you and everything you stand for...

You wouldn't be the first