Raisuli,

The original inspiration for '2001' was Clarke's short story 'The Sentinel'.
unquote

Ah.

Well you won't find answers to HAL's behaviour and who the aliens were in the novelisation. HAL is explained in '2010'. The aliens never really are explained.
unquote

Oh, I can't be bothered anymore now. It's too long ago.

Back to Star Wars. I agree with Alai. We must cease ANY criticism at once. The consequences are too horrible to contemplate otherwise. Do you want to face an enraged Yoda after seeing Episode II?!!!!!!
unquote

You are right. Anyone who has seen Episode II will look at Yoda with renewed respect !
And BTW, I saw it two days ago, and I was surprised ; it's really good - certainly as good, if not better, as the very first S.W. movie (partly due to meanwhile much more sophisticated special effects).
But I feel that if the first movie was for grown-up children, this one is much more for grown-ups and much less for children ; there have been a few moments which are really not suited for tender souls... I think you know what I am talking about. This movie is, in a very Additionally, the first movie had a feel of adventure to it ; Episode II by comparison is dead-serious. The occasional slightly ridiculous-looking alien won't change this.
But then, between the two episodes about 27 years have elapsed, and young people have had ample time to get used to ultra-realistically imagined violence through computer games. The audience may be listening, but it is not the same anymore...