Where has help do you know gone?

The forum seems to have lost the sections where some of us show off by identifying books from limited clues. Is this true? Is it intentional or a bug? Why?

Edit: OK. I see that the subfora have been folded into the main forum. That does make it harder to identify the ones with no reply as there is less point in looking at the questions when someone has posted the answer.
    Last edited by Mostlyharmless; January 16th, 2015 at 03:28 PM.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello mostlyharmless,

Yes, it was intentional. My popular demand, we are trying to consolidate some of the sub-forums. Were you looking for a specific thread?

Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    Hello mostlyharmless,

Yes, it was intentional. My popular demand, we are trying to consolidate some of the sub-forums. Were you looking for a specific thread?
    Did you mean " My popular demand" or " By popular demand"?

My only thought against the change is that my own first posts to the forum, back in 2009, were a series of tries at identifying books, which might have given me some courage to actually talk about the stories.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostlyharmless View Post
    Did you mean " My popular demand" or " By popular demand"?

My only thought against the change is that my own first posts to the forum, back in 2009, were a series of tries at identifying books, which might have given me some courage to actually talk about the stories.
    Yes, sorry, typos...I meant "By popular demand".

There's no reason we can't still have those threads...maybe we can Sticky a thread dedicated to "Help! Do you know?" Is that what we had before, but in a separate sub-forum? (Sorry, didn't use it much...)

Registered User ImaginaryEvents's Avatar
    That's too bad. that sub was the only reason I came to this site. Well, see you on Reddit and the sf&f Stack Exchange.

I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryEvents View Post
    That's too bad. that sub was the only reason I came to this site. Well, see you on Reddit and the sf&f Stack Exchange.
    The intention by merging the sub-forums with the main forums wasn't in any way to stop those kind of threads, but rather move them into the forums where more people would see them.

I would like to see the query sub-fora for SF and Horror "de-merged", or a new 'help do you know' forum on the mainpage.

I like to hunt for books, not for threads
    Last edited by rainswept; January 19th, 2015 at 01:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    The reason behind the merge is that the current activity has been quite low and thus the number of new threads have been few. Meaning it should be easy to see everything in the merged forums without having to wade through many threads. If the activity picks up again and things get too cluttered we will definitely consider going back to a sub-forum.

and Noumenon was his name Andrew Leon Hudson's Avatar
    I have to say, I find the more streamlined front of the forums more appealing that the previous state. Coincidentally, I only started dipping into the whole of SFFW again (as opposed to just the writers' section) the same day that the "too dead for me" thread was started. I don't know if the new arrangement will encourage more activity or not, but I like it.

I notice that no new questions asking for the identity of a science fiction book have been submitted since the subfora were merged. I even checked and found that no new requests for such help have appeared in fantasy. I doubt that many will appear because it is not obvious to a new poster, and more than half such questions come from new posters, that such questions are appropriate. Thus the net effect of the change has been to reduce the total number of threads, which may not have been the intention.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure the one time posters will post their questions in the main forums. After all that was the issue we addressed when the number of such posts were so high that we created the sub-forums in the first place. We just implemented this change so we should give it some time I think, from what I can see there were around 4-5 such posts in the Fantasy sub-forum since the end of November so we don't get them every day.