Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I've seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way!
    OTOH, do we REALY need a tech-assist section? It seems to me that this is just too far from the purpose of SFFw. I know that when I need tech help I just go to any of the hundreds of techie forums. Within two minutes I can usually find two or three forums dedicated to my specific questions. I register, and ask my question, often I get a response within two or three hours, and almost always it is spot on-perfect...

Just playing devils advocate...

To a point I agree, there are hundreds out there... and they do help.

However, just posting a quick querey here could work, but I don't think this 'expert' rating system is pertinent here. But it can be a way for members to go to PM's. IE... I post a problem, and if a member can help, we can go to PM's to sort it, then maybe post the way it was fixed on the forum.

Why PM?... it will avoid others adding to the pot, and maybe confusing the issue. A member could ask how to format his hard drive... one will tell him the Format command, another will swear FDisk is the way to do it. Don't laugh... I have seen this said.

Originally posted by kater
    would it be worth changing the Games section to Games and Technology, I'm not sure one thread would be enough for all the various technological and Microsoft problems that people encounter plus any number of people are likely to be asking questions before the last one was answered,
    That's a good idea mate, especially as a new member has just posted a thread asking about a decent gaming computer.
    I'm sure one of the Mods could alter the section slightly and pool all the relevant threads into it so people could post query threads there.

I just want to re-interate that it would be more of a general advice thread secrtion, not a qualified, technical help desk.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this sort of question since I'm a stranger here but...

I noticed that when I reached 10 posts all of my posts since then have been numbered ( 10 ). Is this a glich or is it some technicality I am not aware of yet.

Ever curious.

BF

< well, would you look at that.
    Last edited by Briar Flea; September 10th, 2003 at 08:44 PM.

Yep, that there is an overall post count. It does not number your posts for you, it tells everybody else how many times you've hit the SUBMIT REPLY button...

I think that if you want you can play around with the search feature and have the system pull up all of your posts. You could probably use this to make a chronological listing of all your activities!!

Thanks Lifino.

I don't think the number is correct but then I haven't been around long enough to know for sure.

As time passes, the the number will likely seem less significant than it does now.

BF

No prob BF, glad I helped a little... Too bad your name isn't Briar Flea Exorcist... Then I'd call you BFE...

Anyway, not that I'm a stalker or anything like that, I'm just a dork; I did a little search. The number is right as of RIGHT NOW. You indeed have a total of 15 posts. CLICK THIS TEXT TO SEE ALL YOUR POSTS. That might work, but then again after a few days the link will probably die...

By the way, everytime you update your Title Block information, so for instance if you change your location to some lyrics, the changes will take place on all posts you have ever made... So when you put up an avatar and come back to this thread you will see your avatar here too. (Avatar=that little picture under your name)... I could go into why and how the forum software works, but it'd just bore you.

Like I said, I'm a dork.

Good luck in your forum adventures!

So am I the only one that uses this thread?

Okay, got a legit question here...

I browse the forums by "viewing posts since last visit"

I just noticed that some of the folders, the little icon to the far left of the title of each thread, some of the folders have Eyebrows. I see from the descriptor that the folders with eyebrows are Hot Folders, but I was wondering what paramaters deem said folders "Hot"?

Examples:

Standard folder ->

Hot Folder ->

Look I posted in this Hot Folder! ->

So from what I can tell, the eyebrows don't tie into views, or number of replies. Or is it Magic?

Thanks
    -Silas

Those are the ones that have been visited by Kaz, duh! No, seriously, those are the ones that have been viewed more than 15 times since you last visited. Just go into a forum then go to the very bottom, all is explained.

I have another little question which has probably been covered somewhere else but " so many threads, so few years".

Frequently I see people Quoting segments of posts to qualify their responce to older posts. How is this done?

BF

Just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.
    Either hit the quote button beneath the post you want to quote and then mdoify what you want, or copy the piece you want, hit reply and then use the quote button above teh active field.

Just wondering how this could happen.........

Guest Sending a Private Message 10:12 PM

with 8 members on, none on hidden mode............

Did you check to see if the Guest has a Profile? Could be some tricky dude, or dudette, trying to trick you with their trickster ways and using the member name, "Guest."

OTOH, why are there so many damned Guests here right now? There's like 15!

Is there another hacker fest going on today?

Yeah, I tried, but it gave me the "This user has not registered....blah blah" thing. Perplexing.