Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Hecla: we're always on the lookout, but we do get the odd one through. It's members like yourself that help us zap them.

Mark
    Mark

http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Noob Question

Hi. I'm a science fiction writer and new here. I know different forums have different rules about things. I've looked around but I can't find anything about blog signatures on posts and the use of links to sites off the forum. Don't want to break any rules! : ) Could someone clarify? Cheers in advance.

Blog Entries
    Hi Rob.

Think I can clear these up.

Signatures: we don't do, basically. Lots of reasons, but the decision was made many many years ago, one of the reasons being that they stopped the flow of discussion in a thread and that members didn't want to be scrolling through posts which were nothing more than a signature.

Links offsite: Not really a problem, unless it is clear they are to do nothing else but promote, when we get all sniffy.

Where possible, we would prefer the point to be made here and quoted, rather than go somewhere else. Members have complained in the past about having to open/work from multiple open windows. We would prefer the discussion to happen here: we are a Discussion Forum, after all!

Hope that helps!

Mark
    Mark

http://rob-sanders.blogsp Rob Sanders's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Mark. That's really helpful. : ) Cheers!

DPW
    Just wondering about time for a post reply to come up. I'd sent one in to a thread I'd started (Sword of Truth), didn't see it for quite a number of days, so thought it was maybe e-mail problem and sent another version of it again. Still hasn't shown up a couple of weeks later. Also a post reply to a particular point hasn't either, though replys from other users have in less time. When sent they came up trhat it would not appear until addministrator approved, ect, but there would be nothing in any of them against the rules. Couldn't discover how to actually contact admin directly. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Hi DPW. We normally try to get posts as soon as we can: usually within 24 hours, rarely more than 48. Sadly the issue may be that the software picks you out as a potential threat, as it does with many new members at the moment. Please note: nothing personal, but it is as a consequence of recent Spam attacks by people/bots masquerading as new members. We have to check each one.

Will go and have a look through the filters to see if you've been caught again. Apologies from SFFWorld for this. Feel free to contact the owner via email about any matter, or a message like this to Staff will normally do the trick.

Now checked and posts should be 'freed'.
    Mark

DPW
    Thanks Mark. I see the problem has been resolved as all posts are there now. That's computers for you. I worked in a place where there was a sign that said: 'To err is human, but if you really want to .... up you need a computer'. Thanks for your help. Great site, really like it.

All the best,

DPW

Blog Entries
    Just pleased it worked! Apologies again. I look forward to seeing your contributions on the site. Please let us know if there are any other issues.
    Mark

I'm having the same problem - new user, first post (in an existing thread) not appearing. It's only been a few days, not a few weeks, but it feels like a long time! Are all posts always held for moderation, or at some point does that stop? I understand spam must be a problem, but on the other side, I know there must be other folks like me who are easily discouraged from participating. I'm always a bit nervous about posting anyway, and being uncertain whether my posts will ever show up, or if they do the conversation might be over, is something of a deterrent... I was getting ready to give up, couldnt find good contact info to email you about it (I did try the general sffworld email), but then saw this forum and decided to try it.

Anyway, not sure if there's a good solution to the issue, but hoping you can help me!

Blog Entries
    Apologies, Xel. New members have to go through checks in order for us to avoid a site with Spam. Very sorry, but the alternative wasn't pretty. Should stop soon.

Your posts go into a moderated file. It is checked by me if no-one else: I do try and check it every day. However, I work on UK time so it may not be the same time as you.

Your post has been checked and should now be available to see.

Apologies once again.
    Mark

DPW

Post problems

Hope your problem is now fixed. I was impressed the way Hobbit delt with my problem. Very fast. Excellent service.