Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I don't like you e-M, I shan't talk to you again.

Back in Cairns enjoying the onset of Summer
    *e-M looks around and thinks she heard someone whispering on the winds. Is that the sound of peace and quiet, she hears?*

Oh come on Dom....you know you love to stir me too much, to give me the silent treatment.

It's true, I can't not talk to you. Why, oh why!

erm....coz I keep getting in the way...and you can't avoid me?

Hmmm....good analysis. You are a scientist aren't you?

I am!! Can you tell??

It's my innate intelligence and logicalness (I figured I'm allowed to make up at least one word per day), that gave it away....yes?

Now having answered your initial enquiry - I think we should vacate these premises and take up this conversation in surroundings more suitable to their 'serious' nature. I'll see you in the pub then?? Make mine a Southern Comfort please.

Rather than start a new thread, I may as well post here, (considering how spammy and off-topic this thread is becoming)

My suggestion is a sort of unofficial technical help desk, where members can post problems they may be experiencing with PC's etc, be it hardware, software or whatever, and hopefully other more tech-headed members may be able to offer advice.
    I remember there was a discussion thread a while back about graphics cards and also some members offered advice on my recent hard drive crash, so why not have a sticky thread dedicated exclusively to such problems?

What do other members, and more importantly the mods, and admin think of this idea?

Sorry bout the 'off-topic-ness' Kahn....but you'll notice I 'redirected' our little efforts.

This sounds like a great idea to me. It has nothing to do with SciFi or Fantasy mind you....but I can't count the number of times when I've nagged Cad for help with something, and it would be so useful to be able to trawl the depths of knowledge, that other members might have.

Here at least, we wouldn't have to wade through heaps of tech talk....which you'd have to do on a 'proper computer forum'. You'd be able to hopefully just get a solution to your problem, simply and easily. Miri has a topic going in Fantasy at the moment - asking about personal library programs - Database for Organizing Home Library - which members have very generously contributed to with advice and suggestions. Another perfect example of what such a section could be useful for.

This is our common denominator after all, and we need our comps working properly to get here. I'm sure folk would be willing to help with advice if they are able, though it would have to be stressed that any 'fiddling' you did on your computer would be at your own risk. We are not experts, after all (well most of us aren't - perhaps we have a few experts around the place though).

Great idea - that's my thoughts anyway. I'll wait to see what the others have to say about it.

I've seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way!
    For any Mac users go throw away your preferences file. This simple act will make life much easier!

I once did this. It was like getting labotomised! Took almost two hours to get everything set back up... hahaha

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As someone who's technical skills can be - a little odd! - and having only just got my computer back from a visit to the doctors following a major crash, it might be a good idea, Kahn.

As long as we can contact you free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week....

Hobbit
    Mark

I can't see a problem with it.

Mods might have to post a disclaimer pointing out that we can't accept responsibility if bad advice, miscommunication, or just general proximity to Ogg, should cause your computer to melt, though

Originally posted by e-Morgana
    it would be so useful to be able to trawl the depths of knowledge, that other members might have.
    Notice the 'might'. Yeah, it's a good idea, but I think we should rate each member on a 1 to 10 scale on techiness, so you can know how much you can really trust their 'expertise.' It'll work, I know it.

Dom, you are clearly wise beyond your years

Do they not have mud where you're from?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Probably not in the quantities you throw. I like Kahn's idea but seeing as it doesn't really link to sf&f would it be worth changing the Games section to Games and Technology, I'm not sure one thread would be enough for all the various technological and Microsoft problems that people encounter plus any number of people are likely to be asking questions before the last one was answered, like most threads - even those in the supposedly spam-free sections its unlikely to follow an organised path and with all due respect to D&D and RPG fans its mainly computer and console orientated threads in the Games section anyways. Just a thought.