Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi David. Appreciate the check.

Where is the best place to post this? Is there a forum where authors can promote their work?
    The answer to most of this is No, I'm afraid. If you've read the thread about self promotion you'll see most of our members take a pretty poor view of such things generally. But we may be able to announce it as a News item if you think that would be useful.

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    But we may be able to announce it as a News item if you think that would be useful.

Hobbit
    Hobbit

I would really appreciate that. I've started reading the thread on Self Promotion and it's quite interesting. I definitely don't want to come off pushy, as I know it will turn readers off more than it will attract them.

One of the best things that's come with being a newly published author is finding forums like this, forums that I never realized existed. I've been a member of Baen's bar for years now, primarily since I can post my work for others to read and comment on. Similarly I can comment on their work. These forums are new and very interesting. I've learned a lot already and I only hope that I can contribute a little bit back.

I know that I don't have a large # of posts to my credit and there are two reasons for that. One is that I am on vacation (hmm.. so why am I working?) and only have dial up. The other is that I don't post for the sake of posting, of 'racking up' a large # of posts. If I respond to a post, it's usually because I've something to say or because the post interested me.

I also feel that being active on more than one forum is beneficial to me as well as the forums. It allows for a good cross pollenization of ideas.

I'm also in this for the long haul, which is why I've invested in professional websites. I believe my home website is listed in my profile and you can get to the novel website from there.

Thanks

David
    Last edited by David Boultbee; August 25th, 2007 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Appreciate the details from your point of view, David, and we look forward to your contributions at SFFWorld.

If you would like to PM me the details about the competition, I'll see what I can do.

Hobbit
    Mark

Hi Hobbit

I'm just running a survey on my website and wasn't sure if I could post it on the fantasy forums. It's for fantasy readers and writers, they don't need to sign up to anything or give out name or email and it's not for commercial purposes. Although there is more to the website than just that, it's all non-profit and the survey is really the only thing I want to advertise.

Just want to know if it's okay to post the details.

Cheers!
    (If you want to check that the questions are appropriate and relevant, here's the link: http://aboygoesonajourney.com/htdocs....php?form_id=3)

(Also I just remembered the password for my real account here. It's actually Elehzya, not Elehyz. I forgot I signed up with the wrong name and got email addresses and all mixed up ><)
    Last edited by Elehzy; October 19th, 2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: 'Cause I'm silly

Blog Entries
    Hello Elehzy / Elehzya!

Normally at SFFWorld we would allow these things only if they were not just here to promote and from members who have been around for a while (ie: not here just to 'plug' stuff.)

Under your 'real' name you have been here a while, so I guess we can ask them in the Writing Forum to take part, if they want, as it is a questionnaire for writers.

Bearing in mind the recent discussions around and about though, we do hope that some form of discussion would take part of SFFWorld: what we're trying to do, after all.

Best

Hobbit
    Mark

Hi,

I'm totally new, needless to say! I'm editing a series of cyberpunk and mundane short stories SF for a small press, and I'm looking for writers to contribute material. So, I'm not selling anything (the opposite in fact), but I know that it could still count as promotional. Do you have a policy on this kind of thing?

thanks
    Rob

Writer by Profession BettyCross's Avatar

How do I create my own Author subforum

I am an author and I'd like to create my own Author Sub-Forum. How do I do that?

Betty Cross

Blog Entries
    Hi Betty.

Um. The answer to this one is that you ask, basically.

It's up to the owner, but usually you would have to be genre related with a recognised publisher, and/or preferably someone who's been an SFFWorld member and contributed here for a while. In that way you are more likely to get the traffic that would be needed for the subforum.

Mark
    Mark

Writer by Profession BettyCross's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Hi Betty.

Um. The answer to this one is that you ask, basically.

It's up to the owner, but usually you would have to be genre related with a recognised publisher, and/or preferably someone who's been an SFFWorld member and contributed here for a while. In that way you are more likely to get the traffic that would be needed for the subforum.

Mark
    Thanks. Who is the owner?

Betty Cross

Blog Entries
    The owner is daigoro. Send him a PM and let's see what happens.

Little word though. He is a very busy chap. It can take a while for a reply.

Best of luck.

Mark
    Mark

Question about self promotion and posting a link

Hi, new to the forum...what's the rule about putting a link to one websites in the body of any post in the sffworld forum? Obviousl I'd like to increase traffic (I;m a new author and need all the publicity I can get....) but don't want to come across as pushy...the address is available in my profile, but no one can see it unless they click on it.

thanks!
    Last edited by Rob B; May 12th, 2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: hotlinking to your personal Web site in your posts is against forum policy

Hi Jon,

As you can see from the edit I made to your post, we generally don't allow such hotlinking in the body of posts.

Forum Guidelines are posted as an announcement at the top of every sub-forum.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Hi Jon,

As you can see from the edit I made to your post, we generally don't allow such hotlinking in the body of posts.

Forum Guidelines are posted as an announcement at the top of every sub-forum.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Hello everyone!
    Last edited by dragmio; December 28th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

I'm pretty sure that the account waynelw is a spambot.http://www.sffworld.com/forums/member.php?u=24436