Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

Has anyone read Joseph Campbell's books?

The non-fiction books, pretyy famous ones actually, one of them is called "Hero with a thousand faces", another one is called "The power of Myth", but there are several of them.

If so, what did you think and what are they about? Also, are they purely informative or entertaining as well. What ground is covered in them?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I haven't read them yet.

Ever since graduating from University, I can't make myself read any non-fiction. But I plan to read them soon, at LEAST "The Hero with a Thousand Faces".

However, I DO own "The Power of Myth" on DVD, which is a series of 6 one-hour long interviews with the man himself, Joseph Campbell. It's very interesting if you're into him at all, and really fun stuff. He's this nice older man, and he's a REALLY good story teller.

They are a dissertation on his theories about mythology and how it affects human development.

VERY interesting books. He seems quite Jungian in his approach, and gave me a lot to think about.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Has anyone else read "Hero"?

No, but it's a book I've always meant to read...somehow I never got around to it. Did you finally read it, Mith?

I have a copy of Hero... but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I've read Hero With a Thousand Faces several times. I usually get back to it every two years or so. I have many of Campbell's other books. The Power of Myth is a very good general survey of Campbell's ideas. Aside from Hero, his most famous works and probably his magnum opus is the four-part series, The Masks of God. These are all excellent and each focuses on a different area or application of mythology (Primitive mythology, Oriental mythology, Occidental mythology, and creative mythology, which is mythology as it moves into the modern world in works of fiction and art and such.) All of his books are very interesting and very readable.

I've been meaning to read The Hero With a Thousand Faces for a long time now. I have watched his DVD series - The Power of Myth - which was put together after he died. In fact, I have watched it many a time; I very much enjoy it. I find his ideas and work very inspirational.

I read 'Hero' and at least one of his 'Masks of God' books, both of them quite a while ago. I remember them as fascinating, though I'm not sure I was ever quite convinced that he 100% pulled off the 'grand unification' he was kind of attempting in 'Hero'. Certainly contains plenty of stuff to think about, though. The 'Masks of God' is a slightly more straightforward description of the roots and themes of myth and religion, if I remember rightly.

In a similar vein, if you like your discussion of ancient myth detailed and exhaustive, I'd recommend Frazer's 'The Golden Bough'. It's not exactly a light read, but if you can get into it, it's absolutely stuffed with fascinating little snippets of information.

www.thedragongateinn.com

Hero and Joseph Campbell

I've read Hero and used it in helping me develop my soon to be published historical fantasy novel. Campbell's detailing of the "monomyth" the myth of the hero that he finds basic to all cultures storytelling interested me in creating a story that would have the widest appear since I write medieval Chinese (wuxia) adventure stories. Campbell and George Lucas were close friends and Campbell even cited Star Wars as a modern mythological story! Lucas used Campbell's hero's path to plot Star Wars. There are scriptwriting courses that use Campbell's hero's path for movie plotting.