Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Carmichael
    Drake put out a new Hammers Slammers book recently, called Paying the Piper. The tones a little lighter than the earlier novels, but just as good. He hasn't lost his ability to write a vivid battle scene.

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    definitely do the Forever War by Haldeman

I hope it's alright to reopen what seems to be a dead thread, but...
    I just finished the Halo series of books by Eric Nylund (they're actually quite good) and i was hoping for recommendations of similar books. not the space battle kinds, but small unit tactics in a sci-fi backdrop is roughly what I'm looking for.
    I actually ended up walking up and down the sci-fi/fantasy aisle in barnes and noble glancing at every book there (it took like 2 hours) but nothing really seemed to pop out at me. can someone help?

In no particular order...

John Ringo's 'Legacy of the Aldenata' series, starting with 'A hymn before battle'.

David Drake's 'Hammer's Slammers' novel, starting with 'The complete hammer's slammers' or 'The Tank Lords' (both omnibus editions)

Robert Buettner's 'Orphanage' and 'Orphan's destiny'

Robert Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers'

John Steakley's 'Armor'

All good places to start, all excellent military SF. If you really want to do things properly, probably best to begin with Heinlein and work forwards chronologically through Drake, Steakley, Ringo and Beuttner.

Me too I'm interested in Military science-fiction. Last weekend, I was just looking through my To Be Read list and found out that I actually have a copy of Starship Troopers by Heinlein. Hopefully I'll be able to read that this year... anyway I've move it up the pile. It is just that I've seen the movie and I know the book is way better than the movei but I'm king of scared to be bored... The recommendations I've got here will probably make me read it. This year I hope!

I'd recommend Scalzi _Old Men's War_. Kind of cross Starship Troopers and Forever War.

thanks for all the recommendations. i'll look into them

Prince Roger Series by David Webber
    Assiti Shards Series by Eric Flint
    The Belisarius Series by David Drake
    I think thats all for now i'll put a few more if i think of any.

Contrary Mary

Thumbs up

I want to mention again the Seafort series by David Feintuch and the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. I have read and enjoyed both.

The first book by David Feintuch is "Midshipman's Hope".

The first book by David Weber is "On Basilisk Station".

Like most series they are somewhat similar, so you just need to read the first book in each series. If you do not like the first, chances are you will not like the rest of the series.

For the Lensman series, the first book is Triplanatary, but it is actually not the best. Instead, I recomment you do as I did. REad "Galactic Patrol" which is book three. If you like it, you will no doubt like the series. Just remember it was written in the 1940's so it is dated--but it is lots of fun and well worth a try imho.

military sci fi

For military sci-fi with at twist, try John Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and "Ghost Brigade". A space navy/first contact is Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "The Mote in God's Eye", a classic.

Invidia Est Solus Semeta Aelden's Avatar

Kids book but hey!

Although the book was kinda "kiddish" I liked the Bladerunner book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" it focused on a bounty hunter... kinda... sorta.. militaristic. The book "Jericho Sanction" by the infamous "Oliver North" was a more realistic military Sci Fi book.

=-=Aelden=-=

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Question:

I'm looking for a specific sort of military SF, the one which incorperates the sort of stuff you see in the Supreme Commander game. I'm looking for books with mechas, either operated by humans or self-aware artificial intelligences. It would feature big wars between various alliances.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    Question:

I'm looking for a specific sort of military SF, the one which incorperates the sort of stuff you see in the Supreme Commander game. I'm looking for books with mechas, either operated by humans or self-aware artificial intelligences. It would feature big wars between various alliances.

Any ideas?
    Any of the Battletech series of books would seem to fit the bill, especially the ones by Michael A. Stackpole

I must advise you to try the Republic Commando's series. these books narrate the tale of a special commando unit, preforming all sorts of suicide missions behind enemy lines. The interesting about this squad is that they are in fact clones, who are bred for a sole purpose: war. An intriguing story...

Cool Some good military Sci-fi

Hey there,

Chris Bunch has a couple of series that are good, lite military sci-fi fare...

The Last Legion Series--about the fall and disintegration of a large galactic empire and the Legion that tries to survive it.

Star Risk, Ltd: A mercenary military series set in a universe close the one in the Last Legion, but explored through a small group of mercenaries who start up a company.

I found those series to be enjoyable, if lite reading. Not really any Mech's in it though...but lots of military jargon and a strong futuristic and militaristic feel to it.

Rusty