Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyoke View Post
    Armor by John Steakley.. I havent read it yet, but, it's on my soon to read lists. Very Military/combat look to it..
    I read that some years ago - definitely worth the time if you like that kind of all-action stuff (which I do), and also more thoughtful than most, IIRC.

Catherine Asaro - Skolian Empire series and David Drake's Hammer's Slammers (if you like tanks and ground battles)

forgotten book title

I was wondering if anyone could help me out remembering the title of a military scifi book. I'm gonna describe the plot as best I can remember below not sure if it can really be a spoiler because there's no title but I'll put it in white just in case someone does post it.

Here it goes:
    It starts with a late teens kid(the main character) on some planet who is the son of the planets "govenor" and is heir to that title. He doesn't want it so he leaves his girl-friend and enlists in the galactic army(its probly called something else). Before he leaves he gets an advanced computer hacking program from a new friend who tells him that its from earth and that it might come in handy but to becareful not to let anyone know he had it. The troops in this army where this power armor that is kinda amorphus if i remember right. (He wears just the arm at one point and uses it in a bar to shoot his way out.) The ending follows: Then he does some form of police action on a plant and finds this meteor like thing (i wanna say dragons?) that is sentient and figures out that thats where the "hacking program" came from. Then he goes back in time and it ends up he's the one who gave himself the program (he had altered his features) and then gets back together with his girlfriend after the younger version of himself leaves.

Thats all I can remember. I really want to figure out what book this is so I can go back and read it again. Thanks to anyone who can help!
    Last edited by coyote2985; May 13th, 2007 at 09:38 PM.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote2985 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out remembering the title of a military scifi book. I'm gonna describe the plot as best I can remember below not sure if it can really be a spoiler because there's no title but I'll put it in white just in case someone does post it.

Here it goes:
    It starts with a late teens kid(the main character) on some planet who is the son of the planets "govenor" and is heir to that title. He doesn't want it so he leaves his girl-friend and enlists in the galactic army(its probly called something else). Before he leaves he gets an advanced computer hacking program from a new friend who tells him that its from earth and that it might come in handy but to becareful not to let anyone know he had it. The troops in this army where this power armor that is kinda amorphus if i remember right. (He wears just the arm at one point and uses it in a bar to shoot his way out.) The ending follows: Then he does some form of police action on a plant and finds this meteor like thing (i wanna say dragons?) that is sentient and figures out that thats where the "hacking program" came from. Then he goes back in time and it ends up he's the one who gave himself the program (he had altered his features) and then gets back together with his girlfriend after the younger version of himself leaves.

Thats all I can remember. I really want to figure out what book this is so I can go back and read it again. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Fallen Dragon by P. Hamilton

wow...that was fast! Thanks a lot!

I've heard Robert Buettner's Orphanage recieving some stellar critical acclaim but haven't had the oportunity to read it myself.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by thrinidir View Post
    I've heard Robert Buettner's Orphanage recieving some stellar critical acclaim but haven't had the oportunity to read it myself.
    It is ok, about an average pulpy mil-sf book, and the followup (Orphan's Destiny) is somewhat better. If you can, check it from the library or browse it first in a bookstore to see how you like it; there are much better mil-sf books out there, and much worse also.

Lightbulb Starship Troopers

i agree with all calls for this person(or any person) to read this book. the book is full of darn near everything a reader needs to comprehend why they call Bob Heinlein the Grand Master of SF for no reason at all. and i would like to concur with the statement that it is indeed still relevant. especially the idea of espirit de corp. another good one that also took a Hugo is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. it has plenty of action in the right and may i add, necessary, spots in the story. as well as common sense politics. practically any story of his you touch is good work. well, did i give myself away as a Heinlein fan? i hope i noticed you noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.N. View Post
    especially the idea of espirit de corp.
    It's an amazing thing.

Just another traveler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I hope it's alright to reopen what seems to be a dead thread, but...
    I just finished the Halo series of books by Eric Nylund (they're actually quite good) and i was hoping for recommendations of similar books. not the space battle kinds, but small unit tactics in a sci-fi backdrop is roughly what I'm looking for.
    I actually ended up walking up and down the sci-fi/fantasy aisle in barnes and noble glancing at every book there (it took like 2 hours) but nothing really seemed to pop out at me. can someone help?
    I've read the Halo books, too.
    There are Warcraft books very similar.
    If you can find them in print I'd recommend the early battletech novels.
    Someone mentioned them earlier.
    Michael Stackpole wrote three of the best of them.
    Most of the earlier battletch books were good.
    There's a new line now called the Mechwarrior series, I'd stay away from them. Pale comparisons to their forerunners.

Gobo:
    Not a book but, you might want to watch the "Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles" CG. It's quite cheesy, but if you like small unit tactics, you might like it. YouTube has the whole series uploaded, albeit of low quality.

Poul Anderson's The High Crusade. Midieval Knights meet space aliens with lasers - and win! Its a beautiful twist on the 'military sf' theme, well written and every trick Anderson uses to explain away how primitive axe and catapult wielders can effectively beat armored vehicles, lasers, spaceships and atomic weapons is not only plausible, but brilliant.

Saunders and Waldrop - The Texas-Israeli War (some nice scenes of mothballed armor going up against 'gatling-laser' armed main battle tanks - complete with campaign maps)

Cole & Bunch's Sten series.

Forever War, Starship Troopers

Gilliland's Rosinante series (I'll give you a teaser: a cruise missile is used to take out a leading politician right at the beginning of one of the books)

Pournelle

How come no one mentioned the Dorsai? Dickson.

I'm betting that I can guess the age of many of the fans here by their recommendations: no tru-fan would ever recommend a 'series' book based on television, movies or japanimation shows. Maybe they're good, but they're not 'SF'. I don't mean to offend, its just interesting to me to watch the effects of the change in generations. And to mention 'Armor' in the same breath with Starship Troopers - such sacrilige! LOL.

Laumer's Bolo stories and
    Saberhagen's Bezerker stories
    Last edited by RimWorlder; June 8th, 2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Military Science Fiction

I am a big fan of military science fiction with Bill Baldwin's "Helmsmen" series and William Forschen's "Wing Commander" series being some of my favorites. Can anyone else recommend other books of this genre that they have enjoyed? Thank you.

Book Depository Junkie suupaabaka's Avatar
    The Lost Fleet books by Jack Campbell (currently 2 available, a third on its way) are an enjoyable light read. Good ol' capital ship combat with nice spatial mechanics and a legend-back-from-the-dead theme.

You're in for a treat if you haven't read any of the heavy-hitters of Military SF.

In no particular order, a good place to start reading would be-

1. David Drake's 'Hammer's Slammers' series, now available in collected volumes.

2. John Ringo's 'Legacy of the Aldenata' series, beginning with 'A Hymn before Battle'.

3. Robert Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers'.

There are a plethora of other possible recommendations, but these are some of the main landmarks in the genre, in my opinion. Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' is an essential starting point, Drake's 'Slammers' novels are the Mil SF genre in its purest form, and Ringo's 'Aldenata' series is a tour de force which he has struggled to match in his later work.

I'm sure there are quite a few other recommendation threads on this subject, if you have a look.