Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
    Ender's Game was pretty good as I recall and Alastair Reynolds has a few battle scenes that feel real, but that is about all.
    Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy and Commonwealth series both feature realistic space battles in which speed and turning distances are taken into full consideration and battles are usually fought by drones and unmanned missiles whilst the ships are still thousands of miles apart.

What is some military sci-fi that primarily takes place on planets' surfaces? Of course starships, space navies, and traveling from planet to planet are included in the stories but it is not the focus. The focus is on the ground wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Glelas View Post
    What is some military sci-fi that primarily takes place on planets' surfaces? Of course starships, space navies, and traveling from planet to planet are included in the stories but it is not the focus. The focus is on the ground wars.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bolo-created-K.../1CFAHPLU52NR3

The General Series also which I mentioned above. But it uses primitive weapons. It is approximately Civil War level technology on a "fallen" colony on another world.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; August 7th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

The Starfist series, starting with First to Fight, is about marines in the 25th century and the majority of the action is planetside.

Drake's Hammers Slammers tales, Pournelle's The Mercenary (and related - Falkenberg's legion), Bunch & Cole's Sten series, Dickson's Dorsai tales

This may be the first decent Mil-SF after WWII involving nuclear weapons.

Uller Uprising, by Henry Beam Piper
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19474...-h/19474-h.htm

Interesting planetology and orbital mechanics plus silicon bio-chemistry. I suppose this qualifies as hard sci-fi. Might be most similar to Weber's On Basilisk Station with weird aliens attacking humans, but better.

Uller Uprising is from 1952, 7 years before Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; November 18th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Try Stark trilogy, by John G. Hemry (same that wrote The Lost Fleet as Jack Campbell). First volume action is taking place on the Moon (and the low gravity part is pictured quite ok). Well, all 3 books action is taking place on Moon.
    Last edited by Randy09; January 28th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Looking for titles about powered armor. I've read Starship Troopers by Heinlein, and I'm reading the Legacy of the Aldenata by John Ringo. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Zillarian View Post
    Looking for titles about powered armor. I've read Starship Troopers by Heinlein, and I'm reading the Legacy of the Aldenata by John Ringo. Any other suggestions?
    David Weber's Honor of the Queen has a portion involving powered armor where they invade an enemy base. Otherwise it is not very prominent in the series.

Their Master's War by Mick Farren
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...r_Master_s_War

That might be hard to find. It isn't quite powered armor, more like some kind of biological symbiote but performs the same function as powered armor in other stories.

I don't know if you would call Keith Laumer's Bolo tanks powered armor.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; July 24th, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

One of the more obvious series of titles would be the Warhammer 40,000 universe books, specifically those based on the Space Marines (Horus Heresy, Ultramarines, Grey Knights, etc). Some of the books will go into depth about the power armour, whereas others won't. A good place to start, as far as I'm aware, would be the Ultramarines Trilogy, which I believe is written by Graham McNeill, but I could be wrong on that.

Producer/Screenwriter worldmaker's Avatar
    Dare I suggest Iron Man movies too!

There's a little powered armour in some of the Berserker novels, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Obviously the book Armor by John Steakley.

ooh, will get that.

I'm halfway through armor and it's excellent. A rare treat of characters. Thanks.