Thread: Short Films

Short Films

I'd like people to recommend and/or post links to some worthwhile short films they have seen. Any genre, any period.

I'll start it off with Wanderers by Erik Wernquist. A breathtaking ode to mankind's potential future in the Solar System. Stunning visuals, with the charismatic and soothing voice of Carl Sagan narrating, opening with the lines:

For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled. Even after 400 generations in villages and cities, we havenít forgotten. The open road still softly calls, like a nearly forgotten song of childhood...

I am reminded of the visions Arthur C. Clarke painted in his optimistic futures of Man's initial steps out into the Solar System. The sheer scale of the visuals also makes me think of the dearly departed Iain Banks. So many images, including those of flying humans and other sporting activities (love that base jump!), remind me of the Culture.

Worth watching in full screen mode:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...ploration.html

Many of the visuals seem to be based on actual images taken by probes visiting these heavenly bodies. Erik Wernquist gives more detail on the images used, with high resolution stills from the video, here: http://imgur.com/a/Ur5dP

Edit: When I tried the link for the video, it didn't work for some reason. I've repasted the link and I hope it works now.
    Last edited by Bacchus; December 3rd, 2014 at 06:26 AM.

A very quirky short that is based on Terry Bisson's story They're Made out of Meat. Same guy who wrote the more famous "Bears Discover Fire", which I've seen collected in a few SF anthologies. I really enjoyed this adaptation. It straddles the line between the ridiculous and the serious quite well (I'm paraphrasing someone else's apt description). And it features Tom Noonan!

Last edited by Bacchus; December 3rd, 2014 at 05:52 AM.