Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last film you watched (2015 edition)

Saw Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) last night. It took a bit longer to hit Australian cinemas. Wow! I can't remember unreservedly enjoying a film this much in a long time. Michael Keaton is the Man. I'm not sure this was the intended affect, but I really want to watch Burton's Batman again now.

I saw Birdman too, agree Keaton was excellent in it.

Also recently saw Whiplash, about a young up-and-coming jazz drummer who lands a top spot in the music conservatory, and his overbearing instructor. This was a very compelling film, loved it.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lucy. Luc Besson and Scarlett Johansen. Bonkers, but I loved it.
    Mark

Mark - That one looks interesting. Scarlett has been doing some good stuff lately. I watched Under the Sin about three weeks ago now. Disturbed the crap out of me. In a good way.

Blog Entries
    To be honest, Luke, I can see why a lot of people didn't like it. The science is a bit dodgy, it is very violent and although it wants to be 2001 it doesn't get close. But the visuals are great, and as, you say, Scarlett is very good at the moment, (I enjoyed Under the Skin too) although here she becomes less emotional as the film goes on. The rest of the family thought Lucy was rubbish: I liked it, myself.
    Mark

last film

I just watched Fury with Brad Pitt. very good movie. I thought the entire cast did a great job of actually being their characters (rather than being Shea or Brad..) It was a good story, told well. Worth a watch.

Also just watched The Equalizer with Denzel. Good movie, and he kicks more ass than Muhammad Ali.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was fun, but I hate a storyline that is largely fueled by stupidity (like the first season of Walking Dead.) Still, worth a watch.

I just watched Nightcrawler by Dan Gilroy. Nightcrawler feels like it's been building in Dan Gilroy for years. The director and his star have something interesting and even exciting on their hands. It's pretty can't miss stuff.

Book Marketing Hub

I caught Europa Report on Netflix and was really taken by it. It's a found-footage film about a manned mission to Europa to search for signs of life. It's a pretty hard sci-fi film and -- to my admittedly limited scientific acumen -- feels pretty realistic. Nice sense of foreboding and mystery too.

Took the kids to see Paddington. Was actually pretty fun and amusing, even for a big kid like me.

Blog Entries
    I caught Europa Report on Netflix and was really taken by it.
    Not the first time I've heard that Rich. I keep meaning to look out for the book (I think) that the film is based on.

Will get to both eventually, I guess.

M.
    Mark

Snowpiercer. What the hell did I just watch? That was one weird movie - not what I was expecting at all. Yeah, not sure what I thought of it. I guess it was ... interesting...?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Snowpiercer. What the hell did I just watch? That was one weird movie - not what I was expecting at all. Yeah, not sure what I thought of it. I guess it was ... interesting...?
    Snowpiercer is actually pretty brilliant, even if the metaphor is underlined with the thickest Sharpie imaginable. Love the design, the direction, the performances, just the whole thing.

Saw Jupiter Ascending on Saturday, and it's a complete and total mess. But it's a glorious complete and total mess that seems to have been plucked directly from my childhood memories of '80s sci-fi films, television, comics and books. Seriously, take equal parts Dune, Warhammer 40K, Startide Rising, Masters of the Universe, Flash Gordon, Star Wars, Brazil, Hitchhiker's Guide, and '80s Marvel comics (particularly X-Men and the Starjammers), mix in some Fifth Element and Heavy Metal for good measure, and even add a dash of Dragonlance, and that's what's going on here. The script is kind of ludicrous (there's a huge issue with how Mila Kunis resolves the plot, for instance), but it's still great to see someone trying to do original sci-fi on this scale.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    Snowpiercer is actually pretty brilliant, even if the metaphor is underlined with the thickest Sharpie imaginable. Love the design, the direction, the performances, just the whole thing.
    The more I think about it the more I liked it as a stylised action movie which satirised the gulf between developed and developing societies in an entertaining way (though, as you say, with a total lack of subtlety). But I still have a problem with stories that work only at the allegorical level and don't have any logical connection to the real world. Not sure I thought all the performances were good either, but nice to see many of the actors having fun!

Cockneys vs Zombies. It definitely has its flaws, and parts should really have been cut, but it also has some very funny moments, particularly if you remember some of the actors from their past appearances on British TV.

Blog Entries
    The Babadook, released on Bluray.

Such a disappointment: considering the hype, and the rave reviews, I was expecting something quite chilling. In the end it was a cheaply depressing movie, as much about a weird family than anything else. The descent of the female lead into madness was rather farcical.

My overriding feeling in the end was that it was a cheaply made movie and rather horrible (not in a good way.)

Others may find it better: me, I'm starting to wonder whether I actually like modern Horror movies.

M.
    Mark