Page 43 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    What do you guys think of Warhammer Online then? Didn't it just come out last month? I didn't think much of past Warhammer titles, but this one looks in another league entirely. Can it be compared to the likes of WoW? (or Everquest 2, in my case)

If I hadn't banned myself from playing online games these days I might have given it a go...

I am greatly enjoying it. It plays similar enough to WoW/EQ2 that you will be instantly familiar to it's play style. The combat is much slower than the button mashing in WoW and that has taken some people awhile to get used to, but it fits better with the RVR ( Realm vs Realm ) system.

If you are looking for a PVE game though, I would advise not getting it just for that. The PVE is fun, especially the Public Quests, but the PVE element is just "good" but nothing to get really excited about. Where the game really shines is in it's RVR aspect. The game was made with RVR from the ground up, and it shows. Open world battles can be massive. I am only lvl 24 ( out of 40 ) and we had a running 3 hour battle last night with over 200 people fighting at keeps, holding actions at bridges, retreats and regrouping to attack again, desperate fighting on the walls of keeps, sallys from inside the keep, to rushing to massacre a besieging force from behind. It was the definition of the word EPIC. It was literally the most fun I had ever had in my history of gaming.

The game is broken up into 4 tiers, and only levels of that tier can fight in those zones. If a high level comes into one of the lower level RVR zones, they are turned into a chicken with 1 hit point. So, high levels can't come in and wipe out the low levels. Also, if you are a level 1 and go into an RVR zone or a Scenario ( WoW Battleground ) in your tier, it buffs you up to level 8 while in the zone so you can be somewhat competitive.

So, it really is a GREAT game, if you like RVR. The PVE is a fun distraction for when you get bored of the RVR for a while, or need a change of pace but the game is made for RVR action and it truly shines in that aspect.

Hope my review helps.

Yeah thanks for the review. Gave me a good idea of the game.

So what's the main way to get exp? Quests and PVE? And how is the levelling rate? I imagine it's quite slow if max is still 40...?

Right now, the best way is a combination of all the elements of the game. Quests, PVE kills, RVR Scenarios, and open world RVR. A lot of people are grinding the Scenarios to level, but they miss a lot of the good content and the truly exciting open world RVR. The way I do it is either PVE or do Scenarios while waiting for some open world RVR to break out.

I forgot to mention there is another leveling system in whats called your Renown Rank. It's separate from your character level and is basically your RVR rank. You can actually unlock new gear and skills from specific Renown Gear and Skills merchants.

I am a rather slow leveler. On my server, there are quite a few 40s, but the majority of the server is in the high 20s or low 30s. And this is just over a month after launch. Thew newbie zones are also quite active as a lot of people rolling alts. If you decide to join the game, join up on the Volkmar server ( its the server I am on )

Oh nice, I didn't expect there to be exp available from RVR.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I completed Gears of War 2 last weekend, it was more of the same with some nice new additions and slightly broader scope. In many ways it's like a slightly annoying series of books because you know you aren't going to have a definitive ending whilst it's profitable. A fun blast with some cool moments but a hugely unsatisfactory last boss.

At this time I have about 6 games that I am playing, but only 2 on a constant basis. First is Ogame ( http://www.ogame.us/ ) which is a multi- player space simulation game. In this game you have a home world and expand your empire by colonizing other planets. You can build fleets of ships, attach other players and take their resources. You can start an alliance or join another players alliance. There is no 3d action in this game, it is more of a strategy game. But still a lot of fun.

The other game, also multi-player, is Last Chaos ( http://lastchaos.aeriagames.com/ ) this is a Medieval Fantasy game that you start off as one of , I believe 5, beings. In this I am a knight. You build up through the levels by doing quest and missions and working with other players (if you choose). You are able to raise 2 pets., a Dragon and a Horse. These start as babies and level up with you while you have them equipped. Your goal with them is to raise them into fight mounts. There are many quest, creatures and animals that you have to conquer. The game is a lot of fun.

Both as you can see are online multi-player games. Both offer free play as well as things you can pay real money for to enhance the game. I have been playing both for a while and have found no reason to use any of the pay features, and I donít see that changing.

Finished Call of Duty 5.

Aside from that all I really play is World of Warcraft. Can never get enough.

Oh and Settlers 6 - The Eastern Kingdom. I love it. It's the kind of strategy game where you spend virtually 95% of your time building. Combat is minimal and when you really have to, it's rather slow and calculated. Force is used sparingly whilst trade and diplomacy alone can win the game for you. It's combined the slow, calculated fun of turn based strategy games and placed it in a real time environment. 5 stars!

I'm playing Final Fantasy XI again after a 3 month break and everything has changed.. I'm quite enjoying it though, it's almost like a new game I'm also replaying Final Fantasy VIII and X. As you can see I quite like the FF games.

I also completed Call of Duty 5 yesterday

I have to put a word in for Left for Dead. I didnt get to play all of it, since I was playing co-op with my boyfriend, but it was ridiculously fun zombie slaughter. I hear the online multiplayer aspects are fun as well, but probably not as much for me.

All I have time for is to dabble in Lord of the Rings Online. My wife and I paid for lifetime memberships almost 2 years ago, so we recouped out money ages ago and are basically playing for free now. We play about 1 evening a week and just try to relax and enjoy the game without the mad rush to level cap.

I have been Playing
    FFXI, a little Oblivion and spore on PC
    Warhawk, Metal Gear 4, assassin's creed, and Little Big planet on PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    I have been Playing
    FFXI
    What server are you on?

I'm on Unicorn Server. Character name: Lore

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Crackdown ... again. Aside from being all kinds of awesome I've heard there is a sequel potentially in the works, so I got the urge to jump tall buildings in a single bound whilst firing grenades at groups of foolish gangsters.