Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Also wanted to add that I really have enjoyed reading this new way of doing collaborations much more than the original way that obviously needed to be improved on. In the past at this site many of us have tried collaborative stories using the Melacholy Imp as a model and more of them fizzled out than ever got finished.

Whatever people have said here in discussion, what all of you have been doing here to collaborate on stories seems to be mostly working pretty well. Evidently people so far have had enough of the same idea of Respect to keep the stories going - which I applaud. I see room to take part in these stories myself, and I'm only a fledgling writer.

In homage to those efforts, I offer humble gratitude. What an awesome playground you have all made so far...!

bravo & thanks, writers.

Back in Cairns enjoying the onset of Summer
    Thank you so much for those comments An8el. I have nothing but glowing praise and admiration for our talented writers in here. I think they've done a fabulous job and provided a lot of people with hours of enjoyment in the past few months....and they are still continuing to do it.

As I said above, the 'honour' system has been working extremely well in here up to this point...I don't see any reason why it would change now. I'm glad you feel comfortable with the idea of taking part yourself. It was hoped that we would create an environment where anyone, regardless of experience or 'prowess' felt they could contribute.

Yah, it's more better fun in here.

Oh, maybe you're misunderstanding what I'm suggesting. I didn't mean letting those writers in the Writing section of these discussion forums know what was going on here - I meant encouraging the authors of some of the great storywriting that has already gone on here to copy it onto a continuous text, edit if they want. Then upload it to the "Various Authors" section in the "Stories" part of this site - with the names, (or the screen names) of those who contributed to the story at the start of it. A group of people who wanted to work together could even do this sort of thing in a series - uploading after a certain number of pages or posts.

So it would be a way for everyone to participate, but those who wanted to put in the time making a story "just so" would also get to do that. I was just answering Holbrook's concerns.

Yep - I see your point An8el, and I think that a couple of our authors have already got some plans for taking their story further into the realms of 'seriousness'. I'm not sure what their intentions are exactly, but I know they were looking at putting it forward in a more formal format.

O.K. Let's see. WHAT R WE MEANT 2 DO HERE? So you just start one up, ask people to participate? Or is anybody allowed just go in and submit?

Sorry Iceman...I missed this post.

You can start your own story, and people will join in if they're interested. Or you can join in with another story - but please make sure you don't derail someone else's work. Any additions must be adding to the storyline in some constructive manner. Otherwise, they will be deleted.

Originally posted by An8el
    Also wanted to add that I really have enjoyed reading this new way of doing collaborations much more than the original way that obviously needed to be improved on. In the past at this site many of us have tried collaborative stories using the Melacholy Imp as a model and more of them fizzled out than ever got finished.

Whatever people have said here in discussion, what all of you have been doing here to collaborate on stories seems to be mostly working pretty well. Evidently people so far have had enough of the same idea of Respect to keep the stories going - which I applaud. I see room to take part in these stories myself, and I'm only a fledgling writer.

In homage to those efforts, I offer humble gratitude. What an awesome playground you have all made so far...!

bravo & thanks, writers.
    BRAVO!!!

Well said my friend!

Originally posted by e-Morgana
    Sorry Iceman...I missed this post.

You can start your own story, and people will join in if they're interested. Or you can join in with another story - but please make sure you don't derail someone else's work. Any additions must be adding to the storyline in some constructive manner. Otherwise, they will be deleted.
    Don't they have to invite you?

No - they don't have to invite you.

You are free to join in, but you must respect the work that has gone on before, and not derail their work.

Also, it's a good idea, before you hit the "post" button, to refresh and check to see whether someone else has posted since you sat around writing the next addition. If that happens, both of you can be taking the story in a different direction.

This is what happened in the "Greatest Fantasy Ever Told" when the pantera appeared. I'll see what I can do to fix that, because it's a scene where everything happens all at once anyway.

Some of these stories, (especially the ones where only two people are involved,) develop very specific plans for what will or is about to happen in their plot lines. So if a story has a good start and people are involved in recently writing them, it's considerate to consult with the people who are already involved with the story so you can add to it and "not derail their efforts."

Perhaps if you want to get into a collaborative story that was already in progress, you could PM your contribution to the other people who are writing the story before you just post it?

I just tried to fix the contradictory post that Iceman contributed to the Fantasy story and work it into what was going on. Specific tips on the basics of writing is supposed to be asked for and voluntarily provided in the Writing section, not in these stories, right? I think we're here to collaborate on writing stories with each other, not edit each other's posts.

I'm hoping we can spell out what being respectable, polite and sensitive means.

Sorry this took so long to get back to....but my ISP has been having fits lately, and I couldn't connect to the net.

Let’s try to clarify things for Iceman, and anyone else who may be similarly in doubt, in future.

The post in Greatest Fantasy is an example of exactly what you CAN’T do. Yes – you have the right to join a story if you want to. The threads ARE NOT, nor will they ever be, exclusive. This was a unanimous decision by admin when this section was created.

However, it IS expected that any additions to the story, follow on from what has gone before. At the very least, the entire story should be read, so that you are familiar with the plot and characters involved. You cannot just jump in and change the whole dynamics of a long-running story by changing the characters’ personalities and the relationships involved.

As others have said, the authors involved in these stories have invested large amounts of time, effort, and commitment to bring them to us. They are understandably very protective of their work, and don’t want to see it disrupted by someone jumping in and throwing everything into chaos. Collaborations are a TEAM effort, where everyone has to work together.

An8el brought up a good point – it would probably be polite to PM the writers involved with your ideas first. They have been collaborating for weeks now, and passing around ideas on where things could lead. It would be courteous to join in their discussions first, to find out how your ideas could be incorporated – instead of just leaping in with no consideration of the background.

I am also going to point out at this stage that excluding someone, without a very valid reason, is not an option. If either side has a problem with this, then the final decision will be left to my (or one of the other Playroom Mod’s) discretion. This was made clear when the forum was created.

So basically – there are rights and responsibilities on both sides here. I'd ask that everyone please stop to consider the basic guidelines .....

* Anyone can join in a story.
    * Those joining are responsible for respecting the work of others, and enhancing the story in a mutually agreed upon way.
    * It is the Mods, who will have the final say in any disputes arising from this arrangement. Hopefully, you trust us enough to know that we'll ensure the overall best interests of the tale are met.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Oh it is so nice to see a new name up there. Takes a great weight off my eyebrows to know that there is another watching over the flock.

And CV brings such fashion flair to the Collab forum with his lovely red skirts and shiny brass complete with six pack, and that hat, will have to get me one of those for race day.

All Hail, Cnaeus Valerius, Mighty Mod!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Rocket Sheep

All Hail, Cnaeus Valerius, Mighty Mod!
    Oh hell........ there will be no living with him now....

Blog Entries
    Thank goodness, I love the idea of someone watching my back who can weild a sword!