Thread: skip

skip

When certain readers get to a boring/slow part in a book, they skip it and move on.
    I myself never does that ( except maybe poems),I feel it compromises the reading. usually, if the book is very boring, I'll just leave it altogether.
    what do you do when a book starts to bog you down, do you skip parts? what is your breaking point, how much pages will you read in a bad book before quitting?
    I especially don't understand those who skip the dialog to get to the action scenes, or skipping the description to get to the dialog, I just see a book as a package deal:if I like it, I read it with no skipping, and if I don't, then I don't read it at all!

[This message has been edited by lior (edited June 29, 2001).]

Eiríkr, rít mér rúnar Gamlemshagen's Avatar
    I did it when i tried to read Feersum endjinn (or something like that) by Iain banks. I got a headache whenever I tried to read the phonetic parts.

I have mentioned this several times, but since this topic has been started I'll mention it again. If there's a book I plan to read, then no matter how boring or slow it gets, I never abandon reading it, I stick through it to the bitter end.

Me too, usually --except if it is VERY boring.

Could you possibly give us an example of a super-boring book, Bardos?

[This message has been edited by Zsinj16 (edited June 30, 2001).]

I will never skip a part of any book. This is a reason why I am horrible at studying out of textbooks. I have never learned the art of skimming and will spend too much time on useless information. I can be horribly aggravated to pick up a book (especially a thick book!)to read only to find out it is horrible...because I WILL continue to read it. It's a disease...help me.

Majick, don't worry about your disease any more, I just contacted the local asylum, and the white-coated guys are on their way! LOL

Cadfael
    I must say I am bemused by this, if I feel I need to skip pages b/c I am not enjoying the the story... I will bin the book, or give it away.

Well, I seem to have developed a knack for skimming through a book at high speed and picking up only the relevent info - of course I only use that for textbooks and particularly boring books.

I wish those men would hurry up!
    ohhh...the voices...the voices

I would just like to stress that When I raised the skimming issue I didn't mean textbooks, but only fiction, only stories.

[This message has been edited by lior (edited July 06, 2001).]

I can't get through Samuel Delaney to save my life, but I don't skip, I just quit. I think I got 200 pages into Stars in my Pocket Like Grains of Sand... I will almost always give a book at least that long. 200 or 300 pages.

Eloquence & Inebriation Moderator
    It's the samething with me. If I decide to read a book, I will read the entire thing. Some times I've been very happy to do so. However I can think of few where I was quite taxed. That last two books of Edding's Mallorean series. I hate to say this but Jordan is beginning to enter that territory, for me.

So as part of my discipline, or hard headed, fish on hook attitude, I read the entire book. I cajole myself by thinking well it's like going to see movie. I don't walk out and return for the actio scenes. I stay and watch the director's vision.

Just like the one who mentioned earlier, this has had a back lash of reading textbooks completely and slowing me down in that department.

enazwo