Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Helion made the solar array. The solar array somehow saves people computer time, a few seconds here and a few there. All of the "savings" GO TO Helion? Since Helion did something so miraculous, everyone loves him.

I haven't had a chance to go back and reread these parts, so maybe I have something wrong in there, but it doesn't make sense to me that he's saving anyone anything if all of the time is going to him. Seems that they remain even, he profits, and somehow they still think the solar array is great. I'm going to sit down and try to work through this before I pass out tonight, but maybe someone else understands what I missed very easily.
    I think I've got this now. Seems that they're saving and making all sorts of money because of the array, but he only gets what they save on their insurance... still seems slightly strange to me. Erf.

Erfael--as mentioned near the end, the solar array also slows down the dying of the sun, allowing for (apparently) significantly more time to be spent in the solar system before it becomes necessary for mankind to move on to other stars & energy sources. Since almost everyone in the current society is onboard with the idea of "let's keep things just like they are for as long as possible," I think they love him for that, too.

I've re-read tGA for the book club. Unlike Ficusfan I quite liked Phaethon as a character. Sure he's single-minded and arrogant, but he is also principled. On the second read, I thought that Phaethon came across as a flawed hero.

One thing I realised on rereading was the idea that The Golden Age could be maintained as proposed by Helion and supported by his Peers. Utopia is the journey not the destination. Their idea of the eternal Golden Age is nothing more than stagnation, a preservation of the status quo; those in power remain so while the Neptunians and other exiles suffer. It is only a Golden Age for some sectors of future humanity.

The whole idea that a Golden Age can be preserved is a fallacy. But the Peers and others are so enamoured with their power and status that any threat to their position cannot be condoned; it's a control thing too.

So in all, I kind of agree with Ficusfan, that while tGA alludes to the genre's past, it is even more relevant to our present. Depending on how it finishes up (and I now have high expectations), the hype about John C. Wright may well be deserved.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    I did finish this book, but, I do not have time to comment completely.

I loved it. It is exactly what far future stories should deal with. Where are we going and what human traits will get us there. I do think the book was far too descriptive. At times I just wanted to scream, "Get on with it already!" But, the issues he dealt with and the complexity were worth it. I simply must buy the next book(s).

I had a lot to say about the book, but I just don't have time. I am leaving at dawn tomorrow to go to a wild and wacky art festival in the desert, aka Burning Man.

See y'all in a 9 days!

Kamakhya

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And just to let you know (if you didn't already!) the third book is out (The Golden Transcendence) after The Phoenix Exultant.

They seemed to like it here (possible spoilers!)

Hobbit
    Mark

Originally posted by Hobbit
    And just to let you know (if you didn't already!) the third book is out (The Golden Transcendence) after The Phoenix Exultant.

They seemed to like it here (possible spoilers!)

Hobbit
    Thanks Hobbit. I just checked it out from the library yesterday . I hope to read books 2 and 3 over the Thanksgiving break. I also borrowed a neat NF called Written In Bone about forensic archaeology.

Registered as What?
    I'm about a year or so behind on reading this book, but feel like chiming in on it.

For me, the book started off slowly. Wright seemed to be showing off his world too much for me to really care about Phaeoton, but as the story continued Wright and the mystery behind Phaeoton's amensia intrigued me. By the end of the book, I was excited, amazed and wanting more. Waiting to finish off my TBR pile; before plunging ahead and getting the rest of the books.

I managed to get to page 75 before ultimatley giving up on this one. Not my cup of tea and LTS. Of the 55 books covered in this book club, I've managed to get through 45 (set four aside including this one) with another 6 to go so I don't feel too bad.