Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyperion Movie

Hyperion Movie

Hi guys, i was browsing Aint-it-Cool-News and found an interesting article on Martin Scorsese bringing the Hyperion Sci Fi saga to the big screen. You can see the article HERE. This would be real cool, a big name director doing for Sci-Fi what Peter Jackson did for Fantasy. Any comments?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. At this point, plus ten points for having Simmons involved so closely, plus ten points for Scorsese, but minus about fifty for ol'Leonardo....

A cautious 'Yay'....

Hobbit
    Mark

Next to Song of Ice and Fire, the Hyperion series is my favorite. And Hyperion is much more thought-provoking. I can't think of a movie that I would more look forward to...ever!

But Dicaprio is Raul Endymion? He's supposed to be a big/tough guide? Ahhh...

Just seing the Shrike would be interesting...plus the ousters, the far-future technology, and the themes of course.

Have no idea what this is, anyone lke to enlighten me?

Blog Entries
    anyone like to enlighten me?
    Wesley if you put a search through for the words Dan Simmons, Hyperion or Endymion you should find out what you need.

Hyperion was a Book of the Month I think recently, and the book (with some reservations!) is pretty well liked around here. Intelligent (and literate) space opera.

Hobbit
    Yes, sorry Wesley.... same message twice.... faulty operator! Hobbit
    Mark

Cheers, might look into that then!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<-- can't believe that they are seriously making a movie about Hyperion.

I'm a bit worried, but if it's done well it could be simply AMAZING!

The Shrike, in CG. Yay!

The Hyperion Movie directed by Scorsese sounds too good to be true, but hopefully Simmons meant Daniel Day Lewis and not Leo "sunk with Titanic, u bastard!" DiCaprio. That blow I could not survive!

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Everyone hates Leo, and I'm not one to disagree on that, but in all truth is he REALLY that bad??? Titanic is already quite old, and he's grown up a bit.

I never saw "Catch Me if You Can " which was supposed to be good, but I did see "Gangs of New York" and he was better in that than in most of his earlier work... Maybe he's actually becoming a decent actor?

Evil-Agent: Some movies and actors can scar you deeper than the others. I do not think that Leo is a bad actor, he has been in a few good movies actually, playing hard characters, Gilbert Grape for exaple, but in the late 90 he acted in shitty flicks.

What I was trying to say was that hopefully teengirls etc. wont watch Hyperion the Movie, because it has DiCaprio in it (but we all know teengirls). That would not be just for the spellbounding story of Hyperion.

Prosper.

Blog Entries
    I think my opinion is that Leo is so unlike the character of Saul as I think of him in the book. The character of Raul I have always thought of as an older man, perhaps late 30's and 40's (always difficult to tell with these rejuvination techniques!) a trained soldier figure, not physically attractive but competent at what he does/has to do, and a wealth of experience. He has been places and seen things, yet is someone who can merge into the background when the situation needs it - one of his roles in the books is as a bodyguard and protector for Aenea.

More like a Gurney Halleck mentor-type figure (not as old as Ben Kenobi!) than a Kevin Costner figure.

Can't see Leo like that! No matter how good his acting, physically he doesn't fit the role for me.

Hobbit
    Mark

Originally posted by Hobbit
    I think my opinion is that Leo is so unlike the character of Saul as I think of him in the book. The character of Raul I have always thought of as an older man, perhaps late 30's and 40's (always difficult to tell with these rejuvination techniques!) a trained soldier figure, not physically attractive but competent at what he does/has to do, and a wealth of experience. He has been places and seen things, yet is someone who can merge into the background when the situation needs it
    I admit I haven't read any of this series, but sounds like a part Jean Reno would suit well.

Blog Entries
    Good one, Kahn! I love Jean Reno - Leon is fantastic, hell, I've even watched Godzilla as a result!

Yes, that's what I mean......but I can't see it happening. *sigh*

Hobbit
    Mark

Raul needs to be a big, imposing guy for the story to make any sense. And I think he's early thirties...still a relatively young guy, but with experience. Who fits that role?

Blog Entries
    Yes....hmmm, sort of Arnie-size, but half the age....and twice the intelligence! (Has to be able to say more than one sentence following on from each other......)

Can't think of anyone. *sigh*

What does that say about Hollywood?

Hobbit
    Mark