Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar

U.S. publishing rights to Steven Erikson's books

So I got frustrated with not being able to buy Steven Erikson's books in the U.S. What did I do? I used the power of the Internet to try to do something about it. I went to company websites and sent e-mails to Tor, Bantam Spectra, DAW, Del Rey, Harper Collins/Eos, and Warner/Aspect asking why no one had picked up the rights. Here's the e-mail I sent:

Hi,

I live in the U.S. and it seems that, unfortunately, Steven Erikson's books aren't published here. I've heard rumors that U.S. publishers have turned him down on the grounds that his books are too sophisticated or too complicated for American readers. I find this very difficult to believe. His books sound so intriguing that I can't believe a U.S. publisher wouldn't snatch up the rights. My question is, what can I do about this? What would it take to get DAW (or the appropriate company) to pick up the U.S. publishing rights for these books. The discussion boards I frequent are filled with readers who are frustrated that these amazing sounding books are unavailable in this country.
    I've received 2 responses so far, both from DAW. Thought you'd be interested in reading them:

To be honest, I don't know what the situation is regarding those books in the US. I don't remember them ever being submitted to DAW. The rights may have been bought for the US by another publisher but for some reason they're being delayed.

Debra Euler
    Managing Editor
    DAW Books
    and then later

OK, it looks as if the US rights are available, so we're going to take a look at them. Can't promise anything though--it's hard to pick up a series when it's already been published abroad, and we've very overstocked, to be honest.

Debra Euler
    Managing Editor
    DAW Books
    My thinking is, if more people wrote in to various publishers asking about Mr. Erikson's work, it would eventually be published here.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

[This message has been edited by Warewolf (edited March 15, 2002).]

Why not just order them from Chapters.ca ? With the canadian dollar valued so low vs the USD, the shipping fees will probably balance out ?

Warewolf, I like the Idea. I might use it, Send one from each of my different emails. lol. But as I'm in the UK, I can normally get hold of mosts books from amazon.co.uk, including US books.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well done Warewolf!

Big big respect for actually doing something about this. Did you point out some of the things said 'round here about Erikson (or the Malazan message board) for the bigwigs at DAW to have a look at?

It's nice to see that you got a reply, at least - though time will tell if it's just a polite brush-off.

Now's the time to claim your 10% commission!

Hobbit
    Mark

Banned
    Heh. I simply politely asked my father to pick up Gardens of the Moon during his layover in London

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I hope Daw to publish him as they have nice sized hardcovers. Slightly smaller than the norm.

Banned
    I've looked....and I've looked...and I've looked some more. And I still can't find a picture of the map from Erikson's books. I can find one for Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, even (god forbid) Shannara, but not Malazan. And I don't know how to explain this odd discrepancy.

I know what you mean, Qin.

Had to ask my parents to pick up the books in US but my dad only got the 2nd book, Deadhouse Gates, in their stopover in Canada. Very frustrating not being able to read it because don't have the first book, Gardens of the Moon.

Actually, the 2nd book has maps, lotsa 'em. Looks good too. I could scan 'em and send it to you.

Banned
    Hero, if you could do that, I'll give you a cookie!

I'll take a big-@$$ chocolate-chip one, pls!

Banned
    *Bakes a batch of chocolate chip cookies*

After the buzz I've heard for Erikson in this forum, I went out and found Gardens of the moon in paperback. I'm only in the UK for two more months before I head back to the US, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find his stuff in the US, other than ordering from the UK or canada. SO, I hope this is a good book, you've all recommended it so highly!

Hey Qin, you get that map already? I sent it over your email at... wotmania???... but it was kinda big (was using my scanner to send email for the first time so I'm kinda clumsy at this). If not, tell me so I can fix it.

Banned
    Thank you ! You're my new hero Estranghero

The picture could have been cropped a bit at the bottom, but that's a real problem and I can no doubt fix that myself. At least I finally have an idea what Malazan looks like, and I have you thank for it!

No problem, just playing around with my new toys. For a technophobe like me, it's a real hurdle to get myself to run something as simple as a scanner...