Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Theon Greyjoy - Spoilers!

I've only read the books once, when they first came out. But I've forgotten what happened to Theon.

I know he took over Winterfell, but what happened after that?

After taking Winterfell he had always assumed that his sister would back him up with more warriors, however she didn't. His small force couldn't hope to hold Winterfell, so he razed it to the ground and left for home. Beyond that all we know is that his father is now dead, so he faces a power stuggle with his sister and uncle in which he is at a severe disadvantage because he is alienated from his people. And his sister seems quite popular.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    STORM OF SWORDS SPOILER
    -
    -
    -
    I could be wrong, but didn't someone like Roose Bolton's bastard come and take Winterfell, and THEY burned it down? And didn't they kill Theon?

Theon is the captive of Ramsay(?) Bolton, aka the Bastard of Bolton, who after dispatching Ser Rodrik outside the walls of Winterfell and thereby saving Theon, proceeded to take Theon captive, burn Winterfell to the ground and take off to the Dreadfort.

He then sent someone (Catelyn or Robb???) the skin from Theon's little finger.
    Theon is in all probability alive.

Thanks for the update. I always liked reading Theon's chapters and in Storm of Swords he disappeared. I hope he features in A Feast of Crows. The interaction between him and his sister was always good.

Especially when they first meet again after Theon goes back to the Iron Islands. Classic stuff!

SPOILERS FOR A FEAST FOR CROWS FROM DRAGON MAGAZINE #305

As far as the powerstruggle in the Iron Islands goes...Asha was beaten by Euron for the crown.

Bolton said Catelyn that Theon is still alive, but he could lie.

I closed mindedly think that he's still alive because I refuse to think that my favourite character has been flayied alive

Although he isn't my favorite chatacter (Tyrion, Littlefinger), I like reading about Theon myself, and definitely hopes he makes a return, however I'm pretty sure he isn't going to survive the series.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

How can you like Theon!? He's a traitor! Robb Stark sent him to negotiate with King Whatvr and he turned against him. I hate traitors! I hope Theon dies a painful death!Together with the Freys and the Boltons.

How can you like Theon!? He's a traitor! Robb Stark sent him to negotiate with King Whatvr and he turned against him. I hate traitors! I hope Theon dies a painful death!Together with the Freys and the Boltons.
    Last time I check Theon was a Greyjoy, he sided with his father, and given teh circumstanc he didn't have much choice.

I really have no remorse for Rob. He got himself killed by making the smost ridiculous and foolhardy decison concievable betraying the Freys ,who fought for, and died for him, and risking there loyalty over a woman from a house of no importance.

He decided to lose the war, and his life when he made that bonehead choice.

Theon is a likeable bad guy, but he's still bad.

THEON SPOILERS
    -
    -
    I know he felt he was acting out of loyalty for his family, but if you re-read the series you definitely see the point where he decides to betray the Starks. He'll kill any of them to reach his goal if he has to, like Bran or Rickon or whoever, and they were once as brothers to him. That's just wrong!

know he felt he was acting out of loyalty for his family, but if you re-read the series you definitely see the point where he decides to betray the Starks. He'll kill any of them to reach his goal if he has to, like Bran or Rickon or whoever, and they were once as brothers to him. That's just wrong!
    No they weren't, he was only close to Robb, , there was never any indication he had any aprticualr bond with any of the others.

As far as killing off the family of the man who defeated your family in war and took you as a hostage (whether well treated or not), in order to get by or improve a given situation, I see nothing wrong with line of thinking, particularly in th eWestero's setting/society,

Theon is a likeable bad guy, but he's still bad

I think one of the points of Martin's series is to illustrate the ridiculous notion of absolute evil/good being prevalent within his characters. I don't think Theon is bad or evil he did what he to given teh situation. The fact that he is self-serving puts him with the majority of the population, not the opposite.

Good points. Especially about Martin's style of showing you a character's motivations, and removing the good/evil cliche.

However, there is still wrong and right. And despite Theon having reasons for his actions, I think most readers still feel what he did was 'wrong'. Even Theon seems to know it, I'm sure there were a few sections where Theon was wrestling with his guilty conscience. At the end of SoS, he's even contemplating taking the Black, becoming a member of the Nightwatch, and at that point he seems to realize that his original motivation was outdated and that he shouldn't have betrayed the family that raised him as somewhat of a foster-son.

Anyway, I like him, he's a great character, and I do feel sympathy for him. But I'm just a die-hard Stark supporter, so I'm angry at his betrayal.

He's a product of his circumstances. Snively, whiney, bastard yep he's all those, but why? Um he was kinda a prisoner since being a little boy - heck even the bastard son was seen as being better than him - everyone hated him - they may have played the 'oh he's okay' face but deep down he was and still is the enemy. Now if you grew up in that situation wouldn't you be only out for yourself? No matter the cost to anyone else? That's his fundamental flaw, he really didn't betray the Starks because he never really trusted them. He looks out for number one at all times.

I like him cause that's exactly what I would be like if I was in his shoes - though maybe a little less whiney....