Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey - I want in around here.

What's a guy gotta do to sign up???

Other than make explosives.

Solaar
    tick... tick...

Blog Entries
    Start a story and cross your legs! errr fingers......

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook
    Start a story and cross your legs! errr fingers......
    Hmmm, well I was sat in a dark tavern and a hooded man told me to ask you about it.

Name of Jess? Juss? Jossa?

Solaar
    wracking the brain cell

Diaskeaus Phantasticus seeberger's Avatar

idyllic chimaera

By this time, you've probably seen my thread, Idylls of Chimere.

I created it with the intent of writing non-traditional fantasy. Each new post is a new chapter in the story, and what I'm trying to do is play off traditional ideas and give some reality to them. So for example, the great evil of the story is never actually vanquished (Megoliath) - it just becomes part of society, and so life revolves around it. Heroes never really conquer it, but instead become heroes through a sort of Chuck Yaeger style, dying, and then getting posted up with a portrait in the local tavern. It becomes a sort of running joke.

I want to expand on it, giving credence to other traditional things, like dragons, elves, dwarves, goblins, and if a fantasy world were actually real, what it would be like.

The idea is that this guy, Balae Mengu, happened upon an island where he fell into a deep sleep and was transported into another world, where he lived for over 3000 years, and saw a lot of things. When he awoke, he was so afraid that he would be branded a lunatic for what he experienced, that it kept it to himself, and only let out his experience through stories told to his children and his grandchildren.

I hope that helps.

I wonder if anyone really comes around here anymore? The whole board is a really neat idea.

Wish I had more time for collab stories. I enjoy them. As it is, I'm behind on two over in the Funzone...

I did have that idea of inserting "intermissions" of some sort all five chapters or so: an angry supernatural being in first person italics (who's basically the personification of the sum total of all stories, and who hates nothing more than story tellers, because they're all thieves, living of its substance...).

If I had the time to follow up all my inspirations, I'd been part of the Porcelain Egg thread, and of Fan Tessie thread...

Most of my online writing time is spent helping to morph the Lovable Rogue Inc. thread you can see below into a novel.

I just posted to let you know you're not writing into a vacuum. For what that's worth.

Diaskeaus Phantasticus seeberger's Avatar

long posts

I'm guessing people aren't too interested in doing really detailed stories here?

I say this because the two I've stuck my nose into aren't really moving... which is fine, but I hope my long posts don't deter people from thinking they can participate.

I have an idea for something collaborative, but not really a story. I went through a phase (after reading Wildcards, go figure) where I worked on a superhero story, I created characters, outlined stories, invented abilities, mapped out locations, wrote about two chapters and quit.

Then recently I discovered a few game cards in my kids rooms. Read the descriptions and rules and thought . . . hmmmm.

I have an outline of the rules, and am in the process of creating "cards" for a number of heroes and villians, but I don't have near enough characters to make the game interesting, and being unitiated, there may be issues my rules don't touch.

So what would you good people think of a collaborative RPG thread?

Awaiting your reply,
    B5

Quote Originally Posted by MrBF1V3
    I have an idea for something collaborative, but not really a story. I went through a phase (after reading Wildcards, go figure) where I worked on a superhero story, I created characters, outlined stories, invented abilities, mapped out locations, wrote about two chapters and quit.

Then recently I discovered a few game cards in my kids rooms. Read the descriptions and rules and thought . . . hmmmm.

I have an outline of the rules, and am in the process of creating "cards" for a number of heroes and villians, but I don't have near enough characters to make the game interesting, and being unitiated, there may be issues my rules don't touch.

So what would you good people think of a collaborative RPG thread?

Awaiting your reply,
    B5
    Making characters is always fun. What do you got in mind?

Hey Ex;
    What I have in mind is constructing a card game using superhero like characters. I have a framework of the rules and have started writing specs for the characters, fitting my literary descriptions into power levels, specific rules for 'play', and so on. If any of the local artists drop by, that would be cool too.

I want to make it a collaborative effort because I only have about a dozen characters, and for the purposes of the game some are heros and some are villians (hmmm, I might rething that...). Helpful suggestions about the rules, which may need amending, would also be nice.

I think I've just about talked myself into giving it a try, so unless there are disparaging words, look for a new thread in a couple of days. The worst that could happen is no one else posts and the thread slides quickly down to page two.

B5

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I'll give it a try, B5. Let "er rip.

It's only a flesh wound!

Sounds fun can I join?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anyone can join or start their own thread

Well... This thread seems abandoned. I want to start a story with someone and flex some writing skills, but it seems that there might not be a person willing to do it. If there is no one that will, could there at least be a person to direct me where there is a great deal of serious writers or role-players with whom I could work with? The thing is, I don't want your typical RPG player with a penchant for mere action and two-sentence descriptions. I'm at a loss.

Something I find that helps with collaborative stories is to first put together a core background, then create a situation to introduce two characters - the protagonist and the antagonist.

Like oh, hmm... An alien girl who's memories have been taken from her and transported on board a human spaceliner, being chased by a ruthless assassin. Yeah, that works.

As most of what's going on is happening on the starliner, you'll need to work out most of the background of the starliner, as well as the mystery girl, the assassin and whoever hired the assassin.

It's a good idea if there's a specific goal you're working towards to insist that anyone who joins must be familiar with what's been written so far and lay out what elements they're going to put in.
    Last edited by Expendable; October 15th, 2007 at 07:20 PM.