Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Malazan Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Voland
    Congratulations. You're now officially the First Person to actually prefer the US covers over the UK ones. Are you insane

IMO, the cover should at least represent the content. Youll's covers make the books out to be cheap romantic novels with swooning maidens and mightily thewed warriors. Granted that the cover for Gotm is a bit ambigous, and that the subsequent covers are a bit "gritty". But they represent the content faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more accurately than Youll's does. I doubt he more than skimmed thru the books. Iirc, his description for the Gardens cover was that it depicted Whiskeyjack (in Plate armour???????) and Felisin - the assassin something or other. Eh? Felisin is mentioned one time in passing, iirc, in Gardens. I realise he meant Sorry/Apsalar but still. Stupid Tor
    I enjoy the US covers more as well. Guess I'm insane, too. Really like Youll's artwork.

The artwork in itself is good (not my cup of tea to be totally honest), but it doesn't, imo, fit the story. Which seems to be the general consensus at the other 2 fantasy forums I frequent (asoiaf & malazan)

Actually, insane is frothing at the mouth in anger about a cover. But, as I said, I haven't read past the first 50 pages of Gardens yet, so I can't work myself into such a puritanical fever. I just like the pretty picture. In relation to what people post on other message boards, usually happy people will stay quietly content, and pissed off people will be more likely to express themselves. So it probably isn't indicative of any general consensus.

In relation to Tor, who much of this anger seems to be directed at, I think US readers should just be thankful a US publisher has finally picked up the book. Hiring Stephen Youll, who has done great covers for Martin, Hobb and Keyes, among many other big names, would not have been the cheap option. So some people might not be happy with the Erikson covers, but Tor consistently wins the Locus Award for best publisher, which is basically a popularity contest, so they must be pleasing some people.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I like the US covers as well.

Keep in mind that many illustartors who do the work on covers only get a snippet from the book to base the cover on, so, they have a rather limited view on what the book is like.

Keyoke

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I think the US covers look incredibly cheap actually. Extremely young adult and trashy. Unworthy of Erikson's series IMO.

Quick question.

Is Midnight Tide a seperate novel? Meaning, Gardens and Memories are connected, as is Deadhouse and Chain are.. Where does Midnight fit? Or does it?

Keyoke

Quote Originally Posted by Keyoke
    Quick question.

Is Midnight Tide a seperate novel? Meaning, Gardens and Memories are connected, as is Deadhouse and Chain are.. Where does Midnight fit? Or does it?

Keyoke
    Midnight Tides is supposed to be happening at the same times the events in Gardens of the Moon are happening. (You can figure it out by the counting of years in the beggining of the book). And, yes, it can be read as a stand-alone. I mean, totaly.

Cool. I've already read the first two, and working on the third now. It'd be nice to have a wee bit of a fresh start since the books are so complex. I wish there was cliff notes for these books sometimes.

Keyoke

Quote Originally Posted by Monosylabik
    Actually, insane is frothing at the mouth in anger about a cover. But, as I said, I haven't read past the first 50 pages of Gardens yet, so I can't work myself into such a puritanical fever. I just like the pretty picture. In relation to what people post on other message boards, usually happy people will stay quietly content, and pissed off people will be more likely to express themselves. So it probably isn't indicative of any general consensus.

In relation to Tor, who much of this anger seems to be directed at, I think US readers should just be thankful a US publisher has finally picked up the book. Hiring Stephen Youll, who has done great covers for Martin, Hobb and Keyes, among many other big names, would not have been the cheap option. So some people might not be happy with the Erikson covers, but Tor consistently wins the Locus Award for best publisher, which is basically a popularity contest, so they must be pleasing some people.

Hmm.

Your overstating my state of mind (I think Erikson can do much better, luckily I get the original covers where I live) and I can only ask myself how you can work yourself up so much over me taking a piss at a cover of a book that you haven't even read.