Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Malazan Empire

I am half way through Garden of the Moon, and can't make my mind up if this is a brilliantly written story or just plain complicated!

I will persevere, but I am unsure if I could face the next book if it so complex. The jumping around from place to place and different characters does my head in. Just when I am getting to like a character the plot flys off somewhere else and introduces me to some other people, that is some cases, arent as interesting

I'll have to post my final thoughts when I finish this book, and see how I feel then.

rune

That is what I thought when I first started, but upon finishing the book, I was quite satisfied

also many more things are explained in the later books

Well, suffice to say that whilst GoTM is a good book, the rest of the series gets better. If you like epic fantasy with a many moments of "what the hell was that?" then this is for you.
    I would recommend it.

GoTM is sitting atop the "To-Read" pile right now. You WILL be hearing more from me in days and weeks to come.

Uh, Moderator
    I think you'll probably enjoy it!

I'm right in the middle of Memories of Ice and I can't stop reading it. So much that my 4 years old son begins to wonder if being an adult means always keeping one's head over a book.

An amazing series.

glad you are enjoying the series Golinub

I thought that House of Chains was the best Malazan book so far, though many seem to think that Memories of Ice was the best... but you know what they say, every man who doesn't have the same opinions as snake will suffer a slow and painful death, or something along those lines

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    Memories of Ice was the best one, it really moved me. House of chains? That one was good, but was boring a lot.

I am half way through Garden of the Moon, and can't make my mind up if this is a brilliantly written story or just plain complicated!I will persevere, but I am unsure if I could face the next book if it so complex. The jumping around from place to place and different characters does my head in. Just when I am getting to like a character the plot flys off somewhere else and introduces me to some other people, that is some cases, arent as interesting ,
    This is exactly what I found so refreshing and brilliant about this book, getting through the first half of Gardens then the story builds as the seperate plots come together for a great ending.Ok as others have mentioned some things aren't completely explained, but to me it just makes me want to reread it and means I get drawn into the world even more.

Amazing. The complexity of the world Erikson has woven is just mind-boggling. While the narrative is not as drivingly compelling as Martin, it still has a number of "grey" characters, no clearly defined "good" or "bad" guys, an interesting story line and a brilliantly detailed world.

I've just finished Garden of the Moon and have been left with a feekin of 'what was all that about'

I did enjoy some bits though, but not sure who my favourite characters are as I didnt feel enough time was spent of most of them to make me get really involved with their lives.

I will read the next in the series, but not yet. I need a break and will try some easier going.

rune

Good to see your going to read the 2nd book Rune, even though Gardens left you confused (does that to everyone!)
    Deadhouse Gates explains a lot and gives you a few new questions- exactly what it should, and I think by then you'll be hooked.
    Last edited by Asper; January 24th, 2004 at 06:26 AM.

Memories of Ice was the best one, it really moved me. House of chains? That one was good, but was boring a lot.
    You haven't read any of the books yet FM

I do wonder though why some authors feel a really complex plot line makes a great story.

I have read other stories that have plenty going on but are easier to follow and are just as good

rune

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ah but the story is great. I doubt you will have much trouble with the rest of the books rune. They are much better written and easier to follow than Gardens.