Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Malazan Empire

I think I'm gonna finally read Gardens of the Moon. I've had it sitting on my bookcase for a couple years now. I see the books everywhere and everyone on the net always talking about it. So time to crack it open and finally read it.

Hopefully you won't be disappointed...unlike some people. I'm looking at you Rune

I have now read the first 3 chapters of Gardens of the Moon. I'm kind of confused about what's going on, it sort of feels like it started at the middle of the book or something, if that makes any sense! But I do like the characters so I'm sticking with it. Hopefully I'll understand better as I read more.

The Trickster
    Yes, Erikson never wastes time with expanations. You have to be alert for hints and clues if you want to really understand what happens. But GotM is easily the most confusing book of the series, if you manage to understand what's going on you will have no problems with the next books who are also better than the first.

Don't worry, after abou-t halfway through the book you will have a better understanding of the Malazan world, and by the time you get to the second book you will be able to understand most of the things

Reed-Sternberg Cell DrBloodmoney1's Avatar
    I have about 75 pages of Gardens of the Moon left that I'm going to finish this morning. I really loved it. I'm so happy that this series is coming to the states this year, and we get to be the first to buy hardcovers of the first book.

I don't see how people are having a hard time with the plot, or multiple characters. Most major fantasy series require the juggling of far more characters.

The Bridgeburners are a very compelling group of characters and I'm very interested to see how things play out for them in Memories of Ice.

DrB

Originally posted by DrBloodmoney1

I'm very interested to see how things play out for them in Memories of Ice.

Hehehe...

glad you liked GotM

Hehehe...
    lol

After a false start. I am really enjoying the Malazan series. I am just starting the House of Chains
    and I am really struggling with the start. The protagonist of this portion is a profoundly unsympathetic
    character (so far). I don't want any spoilers but I wouldn't mind any opinions as to whether
    A. does this portion get any better, and B. is this part essential to the rest of the story (ie can I skip to book 2).

Yes it gets better, and in my opinion you do need to read it for the rest of the story to make sense. Karsa starts off as a very unsympathetic character, but he really grows as the book progresses and I found by the end of House of Chains I actually rather liked him. My advice to you is to stick with it.

Pyrdwein

I quite enjoyed Karsa, and I thought that HoC was the best one so far.

In my opinion, Karsa's story gets a lot better, and I don't advise you to skip ahead

Curious. I thought that HoC was the weakest of the series thus far. The ending was weak... especially compared to MoI. Based upon my experience with HoC, I'm not dying to read Midnight Tides... oh well.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Apparently Midnight Tides is already out in Amsterdam.

Uh, Moderator
    I'm with you Rhaegar - after MoI, HoC just felt flat and a bit uninteresting. I'm hoping midnight tides gets me back into it though.

The Trickster
    HoC is a bit inferior in quality to DG and MOI but frankly that's to be expected as these two are so high above the level of everything else I have read from the fantasy genre.
    Karsa is annoying at first but gets better while still being a bit annoying. You can skip his part but he plays quite an important role and his background and history is important.
    Last edited by Matrim; February 17th, 2004 at 05:35 PM.