Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Easy guys, there are plenty of Americans who frequent this board... Not everything Hollywood touches turns to cack... Look on the bright side, if they rip-off the story line, all but one of the actors will get torn to shreds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Easy guys, there are plenty of Americans who frequent this board... Not everything Hollywood touches turns to cack... Look on the bright side, if they rip-off the story line, all but one of the actors will get torn to shreds!!!

Sorry Juzzza, I though I was just bemoaning the fact that Hollywood can get it wrong when it appropriates ideas from elsewhere, and I am not a fan of empires. I do however like Hollywood blockbusters when it sticks to what it knows.
    Hollywood being a separate entity to the American peoples

I don't disagree Leiali, I was more concerned with:

throw daggers at the theatre screen any time and american shows up. GRRRRR!!!!

I can see how this thread might read a bit ambiguously, so just to clarify : The US turns out some great horror movies, so it's not that I think it impossible that a great sequel can be produced. ...But unfortunately all the pointers seem to suggest the production is angling towards becoming one of those dreaded straight-to-video sequels like Starship Troopers 2.

Part of the joy of the first film was the decidedly british sense of humour. That will be washed away in a tide of American gung ho militerism I imagine.
    I think the original Dog Soldiers was all about soldiering, and the relationship between the squaddies. So the gung-ho element was already integral (here I'm thinking of when Spoon turns round to the other guys as they are barricading up the house and says something to the effect of "This is ace ... just like Rourke's drift". The guys behind it described it as a 'film about soldiers that has werewolves in it', rather than a 'film about werewolves that has soldiers in it'.

I agree about the understated humour part, however. It's not that our american friends can't do dry wit (The Simpsons, anyone?) ... its just that bit rarer...
    Last edited by Ouroboros; February 12th, 2005 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    If there's a token american hero in the sequel I'm going to run around naked killing people at the next full moon.
    Um...on the one hand that would be quite funny. On the other hand, it wouldn't.

I do wonder if we are being pessimistic though. One would hope that the original makers of the film would hold onto an element of independence and mix it with a bit of what makes Hollywood good. You never know!

And I take your point Juzzza. Not sure how I missed the post that was immediately above mine either.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Ack Dog Soldiers sucked big time. It's the worst British film i've ever seen. I can't believe people actually want to see a second one.
    And I can't actuall believe ANYONE hated it enough to say this!!

Solaar
    a BIG fan

Well presumably he has not seen "Sex lives of the potato men".

In any case he is wrong.

Hah, try 'The Calcium Kid' one of the worst movies, period. Let alone worst Brit movie.

Dog Soldiers is brilliant. And part of the brilliance is that it knows what it is and yet strived to deliver an excellent script. It refused to use CG in favour of hilarious costumes and laughed at itself and showcased the dry brit sense of humour. Class.

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    Hoi, I never checked this thread since I liked the news about a Dog Soldiers sequel very much but didn't want to know too many details.

But now I did look and have to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    'Dog Soldiers', along with the canadian 'Ginger Snaps' probably represent the best werewolf movies made in recent years (and in my opinion : ever).
    Exactly my thoughts! Even the "ever"!
    But I like Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed even more than the first part, while I don't think the prequel Ginger Snaps Back was a real success . . .

Shockingly, I haven't seen either the Ginger Snaps sequel or prequel yet ... They're playing on the Sci-Fi channel as far as I know, I just keep missing them.

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    I was fortunate and watched both of them in a movie theatre, within two or three days. Now I own the Ginger Snaps 2 DVD and re-watched it last Sunday - still as good.