Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading In June

Thumbs up Reading In June

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make this, but it's now June, and there isn't a thread for this yet. I'll understand if someone wants to delete this and make it again

Anyway, I have just started A Clash Of Kings. And no-doubt due to its large size I'll be posting this exact post for many threads to come

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make this, but it's now June, and there isn't a thread for this yet. I'll understand if someone wants to delete this and make it again.
    LOL... well, it's only just June here but I realise that some are well into the afternoon of the 1st June... thank you, Mordread, you've saved me a job!

Oh, and currently rereading Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber. I remember I liked them (it's been about 20 years! ), but had forgotten how really good they are...

Hobbit
    Mark

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit
    LOL... well, it's only just June here but I realise that some are well into the afternoon of the 1st June... thank you, Mordread, you've saved me a job!

Oh, and currently rereading Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber. I remember I liked them (it's been about 20 years! ), but had forgotten how really good they are...

Hobbit

It was the Amber books that got me interested in Zelazany in the first place! Have you ever read, I,Conrad or Immortal or his Madwand dulogy?

Reed-Sternberg Cell DrBloodmoney1's Avatar
    I'm still happily enjoying my jaunt through Malazan with Memories of Ice.

Also listening to A Game of Thrones on audio in my car. MP3 Download from Audible.com

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Priestvyrce - Yes, I went through a Zelazny phase. I Conrad I thought was great! (I was actually more into Sf than Fantasy in those days..) as was A Rose for Ecclesiastes and The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth. I think I preferred his short stories to his novels, on balance, with the possible exception of the Amber books.

Sadly missed.

Doctor B - how long is that audiotape?

Hobbit
    Mark

Reed-Sternberg Cell DrBloodmoney1's Avatar
    I think AGOT is around 33hrs. ASOS is 46+. Pretty goddamn long. But I listen in the car and at the gym on my mp3 player. I couldn't do it for my first time through, but for rereads- it is excellent.

Audible is a pretty good deal. You can get all three books plus a fourth one for $30.00. You have to sign up for the membership but you can cancel whenever. I signed up for the GRRM, and I've ended up staying for other stuff.

The downside is the DRM on the proprietary format that audible uses. But if you google, you can find a way around that. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to listen to it on my mp3 player.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBloodmoney1
    I think AGOT is around 33hrs. ASOS is 46+. Pretty goddamn long. But I listen in the car and at the gym on my mp3 player. I couldn't do it for my first time through, but for rereads- it is excellent.
    Jesus! I thought reading the page below just to remember the first book was long enough :P

http://members.aol.com/vbkorik27/summary/AGOT.htm

Just finished up Royal Assassin by Hobb and starting Assassin's Quest to complete the Farseer Trilogy.

I thought the series finally picked up in the last third of Royal Assassin, and I'm now 200 pages into Assassin's Quest and I'm finding it really, really good.

I started reading Talisker by Miller Lau at the weekend, about half way through and quite enjoying it

I'm currently about halfway through GGK's Tigana and enjoying it.

Next, I think that for some strange reason I'm going to read Lord of the Rings--for the third time. The last month or so I've been feeling this strange urge to read it again, so I suppose I might as well give in. Maybe it's because it's like comfort food during a tumultuous period of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanin
    I thought the series finally picked up in the last third of Royal Assassin, and I'm now 200 pages into Assassin's Quest and I'm finding it really, really good.
    Thank goodness! I am in the process of battling through Royal Assassin as we speak, err type. So far I just don't see the attraction for Hobb. I really want Hobb to become a passion of mine like Martin, Erikson etc., but so far I just don't get it.

I just started The Year of Our War by Steph Swainston. So far it is a bit confusing, she just drops you in with very little warm up. Trying to sort out all the different words and figure out what goes with what. No explanation about the immortals or the insects yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc44
    Thank goodness! I am in the process of battling through Royal Assassin as we speak, err type. So far I just don't see the attraction for Hobb. I really want Hobb to become a passion of mine like Martin, Erikson etc., but so far I just don't get it.
    Yeah, I struggled through the first two books. It took me 3-4 months to get through them. I usually knock out a book in a couple weeks, but those two I had a hard time picking up.

I'm now into Assassin's Quest, and I'm flying through it.

Good luck!

Finished Waylander 3 a few minutes ago, and yawn! Am I the only one who find the Waylander books to be Gemmells weakest work?

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I'm almost done The Briar King, and loving it. The book starts off great, and gets better as it moves along.

After that, who knows, I may read Darkest Hour by Mark Chadbourn, it's a series of 3, and I did like the first.

Or perhaps Hobb's new one.

Who knows.

Keyoke