Thread: C.J Cherryh

C.J Cherryh

I asked about this in the "Reading in November" thread but I'll do it again. Because this no more belongs there =)

I'v read the first book in Morgaine Saga and I'll start with the second one when get the time to do it =) So don't spoil...

What do you think of the books?

Is there any other series this author has written?

I don't know if i like Morgaine but I like Vayne, he's calm in a way and then he's not one of those super heroes who never are afraid of anything....

Thumbs up Fortress

C.J. Cherryh has written another good fantasy series, Th Fortress series. It consists of

Fortress in The Eye of Time
    Fortress of Eagles
    Fortress of Owls
    Fortress of Dragons

The series is about a young man created by magic, a Shaping, trying to find his own identity and purpose after his master and creator is dead. I liked the series very much.

She's also written a lot of Science Fiction as far as I know. The most famous, and the only one I've read, is Downbelow Station which is a good novel, but not quite as gripping as the fantasy books, in my opinion.

/Nicolai

C.J. has written oodles of works in both fantasy and science fiction. I haven't read the Morgaine series, but there are plenty of other series, if you like her. My favorite one that she's done of what I've read so far is a book called "Angel with a Sword."

She has a Faded Sun series, a Russian mythology series ("Rusalka",) and the Fortress in the Eye of Time series, which is a biggie of hers. There's also the sf series -- the Chanur series and Rider at the Gate series. Also: Serpent's Reach, Hestia, The Tree of Swords and Jewels, Forty Thousand in Gehenna, The Dreamstone, Port Eternity, DownBelow Station, Cuckoo's Egg. Google her and you'll probably find some official websites with a full list.

Her Web Site is Here It lists her books, and the order to read them in.

She has written a lot of SF & F. There are also two completed Foreigner trilogies, with a third still to come.

She also wrote in several shared universes from the 80's:

Thieves' World by Robert Lynn Asprin, and Lynn Abbey

Heroes in Hell by Janet Morris

And she started her own: Angel with a Sword is the first book in a shared world called Merovingen Nights . CJC was the editor for the 7 books after Angel with a Sword, but she also wrote stories for the books. Basically it is the same story, world and characters from the first book but expanded. The shared worlds are out of print but you may be able to find them on-line or in used book stores.

Thanks

Now I have much to read, but I'll just have to find the books first

Not Elda in the Red Dress Scarlett O'Hara's Avatar
    The Chanur series of books is still my favorites!!! But her other stuff is still heads above most other writers I think. Highly recommend the Chanur series.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Last edited by JohnH; June 13th, 2004 at 10:45 PM.

Inter spem metumque iacto Julian's Avatar

Two other books

JohnH is pretty much spot on.

When it comes to Cherryh, I'd not worry overmuch about what precise label to affix to her books. However, if you're looking for more or less pure fantasy, you should also consider "The Dreamstone" and "The Tree of Swords And Jewels". These (interrelated) books are as close to high fantasy as Cherryh has ever come. The two books were were published as a single volume round about 1997/1998 as "The Dreaming Tree" - not sure if that edition is still available, though.

I'd consider these two books to be superior to the "Fortress" books, but that's just me.

Great writer my favorite of her's is the Fortress series in fantasy and in sci/fi its a little hard to choose which books I lke best there all good. But I loved her Night Horse books which have a fantasy taste to them and I hope she will revisit that world soon.