Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Can someone recommend some good "mature" anime?

No, I don't mean hentai.

I've been getting into anime quite a bit lately and seen some stuff that I really enjoyed: Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Macross Plus, Rouroni Kenshin (OVA).

Could someone please tell me what other stuff is out there that contains mature themes like the above? I don't mind any amount of violence or nudity as long as it's tasteful and not overdone.

BTW, a lot of people seem to like Ninja Scroll so I watched the movie as well as the first few episodes of the series but I didn't really care for it. It was okay, but the violence seemed to take precedence over the character development.

I apologize if someone else has already started a similar thread. I haven't been here for a while.

Thanks!

Check out Escaflowne, and if you can, get the subtitled version. The dubbing was really bad. Good story (if a little cheesy at times), good art, awesome soundtrack.

If you haven't seen any Miyazaki movies, watch them. Not necessarily "mature" (more of a fun for all ages kinda thing), but brilliant nonetheless. Spirited Away, Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa and Laputa are good examples. Also watch Graveyard for fireflies. Not directed by him, but done in his studio. Very good, if depressing.

Perfect Blue and Jin Roh were both good films. Perfect Blue is basically a psychological thriller, only animated. And Jin Roh is slow-paced, but worth the effort, IMO. Awesome artwork in both.

Thanks for the tips, Bear! I'll check those out.

I have seen Spirited Away, and Laputa if it's the one recently released as Castle in the Sky. Castle In the Sky is my four-year old daughter's favourite movie.
    Last edited by Miriamele; November 19th, 2003 at 10:34 PM.

Hellsing. Very good vampire anime.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My brother's well into Neo Evangelion aswell at the moment which seems quite good. If you haven't already then the classic Ghost in the Shell is a must see.

yeah I'll second all that, except for Hellsing, but only because I haven't seen it. Noir is decent, but the animation is weak in some of the earlier episodes.

Wings of Honneamise was a pretty good story, real slow-paced and with brutal music, however the animation is gorgeous.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My (pretty obvious!) choices would be Ghost in the Shell and Akira (both already mentioned!) . I love Ghost in the Shell particularly, though the story is fairly slight, IMO.

Metropolis isn't bad, but not fantastic. (It is interesting when compared with the original b&w Fritz Lang movie, though!)

I also enjoyed Patlabor and Wings of Honneamise, though they also show some of the strengths/weaknesses of the anime films.

I really want to see Spirited Away, which had a very limited screen run here in the UK, but got fantastic reviews. Will look at it when out on DVD.

Hobbit
    Mark

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Originally posted by Hobbit
    I love Ghost in the Shell particularly, though the story is fairly slight, IMO.Hobbit
    Check out the book (or in this case the manga ). Blows the film away. Didn't like the anime (movie version) of ghost to be honest- they're trying to cram in too much in to a short space of time. The movie seemed rushed and jumbled in comparison to the manga.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Originally posted by Hobbit

Metropolis isn't bad, but not fantastic. (It is interesting when compared with the original b&w Fritz Lang movie, though!)
    I've seen Metropolis--I thought that the animation was beautiful but the story very slow moving. I found it hard to keep watching to the end.

Sprited Away is a very good movie, Hobbit. Isn't it out on DVD yet in the UK? It's been out in Canada for quite a while now.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes - thanks Fluffy, i'd heard that about the comic. The music though and the images are great but you've summed up pretty much what I thought.

Miri - (nice to see you back btw ) Sadly, Spirited Away was only shown in a few cinemas here in the late summer. Nowhere near Hobbit Towers that I could see.

It is due for release in February 2004 here (just in time for my birthday! ) so not yet. The pictures I've seen of it though are stunning.

Hobbit
    Mark

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    BEAR! YOU WATCHED ESKAFLONAY! Man, I thought I was almost the only person who watched that show from when it came out till the end.

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    escaflowne was rather good with a sweeping arc plot- but I missed 4 episodes in the middle somewhere due to exams and got totally lost as to what was going on.

Just random web search, but here you go: Escaflowne

On the edit- found a better one : Escaflowne

Though the animation in Metropolis was great, the movie was very lacking. No character development, poorly-handled plot. Good soundtrack, though.

Wings of Honneamise was good but slow, as mentioned.

Ghost in the Shell had awesome artwork and animation, but it was yet another reminder of how anime directors really need to lay off politics. They're usually very boring and don't add much to the plot, but they always include them regardless. And the manga was definitely better. All in all, it was a very cool movie visually and the mech designs were brilliant, but the plot leaves a lot to be desired (though, the idea behind the plot is a cool one).

Spirited Away was fanatstic, but Miyazaki is always good. And yes, Miramele, Laputa was released as castle in the sky here.

And of course I watched Escaflowne, Frost. I just didn't watch the English release of it. Didn't like the dubbing at all. Luckily, I managed to round up the fansubs of the series.

I just wanna say Serial Experiments Lain and FLCL

and HA! at ninja scroll tv, it's at least 8 times worse than the NS movie

bleh

I personally would recommend one of my favorite anime movies of all time, "Vampire Hunter D". This is an awesome vampire movie!! D puts Buffy to shame!
    Also I would recommend the Robotech/Macross Saga. Some people might disagree, but I think it's pretty mature. It's basically an epic space opera about the invasion of earth by an alien race called the Zentraedi. It involves a whole lot of mechs, starfighting, political intrigue, action, adventure, and romance. It's my favorite anime saga next to Vampire Hunter D.
    It was made in the early eighties, however, so don't expect the high-tech, super-refined, streamlined animation of today, but it's still good animation in my opinion. You can usually find the Robotech/Macross Saga in music/movie/video-game stores such as Sam Goody, and also in discount stores such as Wal-Mart and K-Mart, in monstrous dvd boxed set editions. I think the have three boxed set editions out currently. collecting the saga: "The Robotech Saga", "The Robotech Masters", and "The Macross Saga".
    These editions are pretty darn expensive, though. Usually they'll run you about $60 a set.

Hope this helps!