Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar

What do you use as a bookmark?

(borrowed from another site)
    For many, a nice bookmark adds to the pleasure of reading. I've got quite a few bookmarks from various places (eg the free ones that you can get from the public libraries over here since the big read started). However quite a lot of time, I can't find any lying around and bits of scrap paper/card become used.

I was wondering what everybody else use as a bookmark? Do some of you simply fold the corner of the page ?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I have some serious bookmark issues!

I can NEVER keep one. It always gets lost. For most of the years that I've been reading Fantasy, I just have to REMEMBER the page... because I HATE folding the corner, I never do that. I can't believe that anyone DOES do that. So I just try and remember... sometimes it takes about 5 minutes of searching before I can find the spot again... sometimes longer!

I used to make some... made a cool Harry Potter one, and a nice Gollum one once, but I've lost those as well. It's easy to make a good bookmark, and I often used to just cut of the corner of an envelope, which I saw done on TV. It works great, and you can decorate it however you like.

Recently I was given a cool wolf bookmark from Alaska, and used it while reading some Hobb and some Martin (fitting, with the wolf theme), but I lost it in Europe!

Now, I am FINALLY trying to use bookmarks... I bought a pack of 12 Return of the King themed bookmarks in Austria, for about 3 dollars.. one for each month, with a character from ROTK, and a mini calendar on it. It serves well, because there are 12 of them, so I can afford to lose a few, and because they look cool, and because they were cheap.

I also bought two nicer LOTR bookmarks from Chapters recently, with versions of the One Ring and the Eye of Sauron dangling from their tassles, but those are reserved for use only while actually reading LOTR!

Uh, Moderator
    I move between several different options.
    Usually any old receipt, boarding pass, empty envelope, ridiculously large mobile phone bill would do.
    For a while I was using a recipe card that got put in my bag when I bought some books. I've lost it, so now I'm using a combination of remembering the page number and letting the binding remember - books seem to open up right around where you were last reading them (unless the spin is really old and worn).

And I don't fold the corners - ever. That was taught to me as a major no-no since I was little, and I can't bring myself to damage my books like that. I even try not to openmy books so far that the spine creases.

Just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.
    I use hundred dollar bills, because if you lose them, it doesn't matter.

I honestly only have two bookmarks. An old Peter Daicos card (Can't stand Collingwood and never thought much of the man as a footy player) and the business card of a hot chick who gave me a job (The only job I got through an interview.) Good Times.

Originally posted by Evil Agent
    I have some serious bookmark issues!

I can NEVER keep one. It always gets lost.
    My problem as well. So I just use a napkin now.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL. This thread made me laugh. Thank you, Fluffy!

I use whatever I can find. I have some nice leather/pressed cardboard ones from different places around the UK that I pick up on my travels. Erm....Stonehenge, Whitby Abbey, Scarborough, Portmeirion...a few others. I also have a Gremlins one and a Garfield one, both of which I've used since the 1980's.

I usually use 'whatever is to hand' though. These include slips of paper, bus tickets, train tickets, car park tickets (depressing pattern there - shows you what I was doing at the time!), old bills (also depressing!), envelopes, book token wrappers etc etc.

I have from time to time used one of the Hobbitlets trading cards if they're available - erm, there's some LotR, some Mechwarrior and some Pokemon there (I think!). Often the cards that come with cereal boxes are quite useful.

BUT.... turn page edges over....crease book spines....*shudder*

Keg - if you like, I'll swap you some of mine for those hundred dollar bills. I know a place where I could keep them. The exchange rate's quite good at the moment, I think.

Here's a big debate though - do you prefer bookmarks 'with' or 'without' tassles?!

Fluffy's quite right though - there are some really nice ones out there that would enhance the reading experience...

* thinks about remortgaging Hobbit Towers to pay for them...*

Hobbit
    Mark

Bookmarks? What are those? Can you eat them? Hmmm, maybe not such a good idea...I had a chocolate bookmark once - don't use them, they really don't work too well; melted all over my book & made the pages stick together like nobody's business. And the papercuts on your tongue is just not worth it, so you can't even lick the pages

Book Marks without tassles are best. No filly faddling about!

I too have a garfield book mark I have used since the '80's. But I also have loads of others, mostly from bookshops. I don't think I have ever bought one. I get loads as presents too.

A pet hate is lending a book out and having it back with loads of creased corners, and once, a broken spine and my friend brightly saying ' I always break the spine of a book as it is easier to read then'.

Shudder.

Sorry for the tangent.

Um yeah, book marks are a good thing to protect books and stop you hunting around for where you left off.

Originally posted by Hobbit

Keg - if you like, I'll swap you some of mine for those hundred dollar bills. I know a place where I could keep them. The exchange rate's quite good at the moment, I think.

Here's a big debate though - do you prefer bookmarks 'with' or 'without' tassles?!
    Just don't take them into a bank. It could cause you a little trouble.

I once knew a guy who had a bike without tassles. We couldn't invite himn into the group as we couldn't question his sexual preference.

He'd get offended when we'd pat him on the bum.

Just don't take them into a bank. It could cause you a little trouble.
    Why? Are they Zimbabwe Dollars?

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Don't you stick those on a spike in the loo?

Someone should tell Keg that some people prefer to put their tassles where they don't show. He was patting in the wrong place.

I find the best thing to use for a book mark is the little electronic print-out that tells you what day the library want the book back. Great incentive to finish the book too... especially since they fade after 6 months!

i cut the corners off envelopes and slip them over the coners of the pages......that way they stay on and they don't cost money and if they get lost - so what?!

Originally posted by Rocket Sheep
    Don't you stick those on a spike in the loo?
    Nah, we use them as wallpaper in our shacks over here......great for target practice too.

Originally posted by Rocket Sheep
    Someone should tell Keg that some people prefer to put their tassles where they don't show. He was patting in the wrong place.
    Actually it was only the pattings on the bum that he got offended about. The rest would get me a tongue in the ear adn a bit of a grope. Ahhh repressed memories.

Kaz
    Why? Are they Zimbabwe Dollars?
    I wish. The Kegasasurian never did catch on, even though it was primarily derived from Aussie notes. I don't think the bank enjoyed the curved aluminium. Something about restocking the ATM's a little to often and the conversion rate.

Just to stay on topic, I once used the cover of 'looking for Mr Goodbar' as a bookmark.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Er... I think you could work a little harder on repressing those memories there, Keg.

The symmetry of Ickle Lulu's answer impresses me... that and the fact that she can find the scissors... they're usually harder to find than a bookmark at my place!