Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Auburn-furred Alien
    Nothing fancy.

Just a piece of paper.

And I don't fold the corners - ever. That was taught to me as a major no-no since I was little, and I can't bring myself to damage my books like that. I even try not to openmy books so far that the spine creases.
    Ack, the only time I punched a girl (not hard, in the arm) was when I told her specifically not to bend the spine, and right when she gets it, *crack*. And that was in 11th grade.

Anyway, if it's a hardcover, I use the flaps, but mostly I just use a receipt from the bookstore when I bought the book. If I don't have anything I just remember the page number.

I also use a receipt or bookflap. I abhor dog-eared pages, and therefore never tuck my corners under (unless I hate the book...its my own form of quiet protest against piss poor writing ). When it's time to pay bills, I use my bills so that I remember to mail them. And sometimes I use notecards--which is annoying, because they are always used notecards, with important information--information that is subsequently lost because I am forever losing my bookmarks. Oh, and coupons. And coffee punch cards. And...um.

Yeah. whatever is handiest.

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    I use whatevers around me, pens, tissue paper, pieces of garbage....

Hmm. Garbage.

Delightful.

(:: screwing up nose:: )

Oh yeah! I love tassels--the silkier the better....but... the knots always come undone, and the threads pull out, and then I'm finding threads forever. And the vaccum cleaner detests that (because I am too lazy to bend down and pick them up).

The slugs have gone mad! dragondrool's Avatar
    I've used receipts, regular bookmarks, index cards, and when I'm at the pool I'll use coin wrappers from time to time. Playing cards are nice. So are those mock credit cards I get from time to time in the mail. Laminated pool passes work well, too. Those are nice and sturdy for bigger books.

When I was younger I used to use all sorts of lovely bookmarks. Bookmarks with pretty pictures on them, bookmarks with funny things on them, bookmarks with tassels, without tassels. But gradually I lost them all and grew up to become the bitter person I am today.

Now I use post-it notes, folded in half (sticky side against non-sticky). I don't mind losing them, they're a dime a dozen, and they come in lots of great neon colors.

Your mom.

Okay, okay, not your mom.

I usually wind up using the Times crossword puzzle--less as a bookmark, more as a reminder to finish it....

Hmm I have an entire jar of bookmarks, though I rarely buy them. From years ago I have a set of NASA pictures made into bookmarks. One is of Mars, one of Saturn, one of Jupiter. I think I lost the one of Earth.

Then I have a few that are a strip of stamps from various countries which were laminated.

Then I have a ton of freebie bookmarks. I pick them up at Borders, Barnes and Noble, and the library. I usually take about five at a time.

If I'm caught out and about with no bookmark, I'll use a coaster or the book flap or remember the page. There's always some business cards in my wallet I can use.

I NEVER dogear the pages. My paperbacks look as new when I'm done with them as they did when I bought them.

I've often thought of buying a laminating machine just to make funky bookmarks. Then I figure I'd have to make a ton of 'em to make the price of the machine worth it, LOL.

Susan

The slugs have gone mad! dragondrool's Avatar
    I've often thought of buying a laminating machine just to make funky bookmarks. Then I figure I'd have to make a ton of 'em to make the price of the machine worth it, LOL.
    I always make myself a credit card-sized laminated bookmark when I train the new people how to use the laminators at the pools for the summer. Band-aids turn out nicely.

Appy Polly Logies
    I used to dog-ear my pages, until I realized that I didn't like having a bookshelf of dog-eared books. I started using random objects as bookmarks. For a while I was using a half of a dollar bill that I found in a library copy of A Prayer for Owen Meany. Nowadays I've been using a Magic card. An unlimited edition Regrowth, maybe worth about $20 if it wasn't so bent up.

I tear a piece of paper out of a notebook, about 6" long by 1" wide. Then, I fold the paper in half length-wise. It's an odd ritual I have. Of course, I probably don't use fancy bookmarks because I usually have about 30 of my books marked in various places at any given time.

-speculative

I never... well almost never dog-ear my pages. That ruins the books.. I use almost anything as a bookmark.. from the smallest candy-wrap to a pair of jeans... But my favourite is a birthday-card that I got from a friend some years ago...

I don't use book marks at all. I just stare at the page number and memorise it.

If I forget that (pretty often!!), I can just skim through the book, passing through passages I've already read until I come to a page I know I haven't read.

I don't understand the need for really fancy bookmarks. You would actually pay good money for those?

chewing gum wrapper, bus ticket, random ripped peice of paper.

My friend has a proper bookmark which has a cuddly teddy on the top of it - so cute, or pathetic .... can't decide