Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I am probably gonna get a lot of flack for this but I do dog ear pages ( in my defense I only do this to the ones I own). I also carry them in my back pocket when I am walking around( I have this need from the Army to always keep my hands free) but i love to read and I am a great lender of books. My only pet peeve is when water hits the book that really irks me

I'm not sure if I've replied to this or not so I'll just do it now. I use either the receipt for the book or my LOTR bookmark.

I'm currently using a $2 bill.

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    Theres $2 bills now? Wow, what an age we live in...

'course, twonies are better.

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    I got four or five different bookmarks . . . I choose from book to book which one fits.
    Among them is a nifty steel bookmark, reserved for the books with style - and no, don't ask me how I determine that.

My newest bookmark I got from my husband as a christmas gift: it's called a book hook.
    Not useful when on your way, but very cool to impress guests. Just display something intellectual.

twonies
    It is a toonie, not a twonie

As for what I use as a bookmark, it is an alluminum bookmark with various objects imprinted in it

St. Helens: home of the world's greatest RL team
    An Amazon bookmark - I've had it for years. Considering the number of books I buy from them, I think I've earned it.

Don't think I've ever used a bookmark. I've always been lucky in the fact that I can remember where I left off a book last.

I don't know if y'all have ruined me, or if it is only the process of getting older, but I almost never dogear books anymore. I gradually stopped doing it over the last year. Now I almost exclusively use my old business cards (Luckily I've got about 400+ left over from when my company changed hands, so I've got book marks to last for at least a couple years.)

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I almost never dogear books anymore.
    RESULT!

(Peer pressure is a wonderful thing!)

(AND it's good to see an old thread returning........ LOL )

At the moment I am using:

a sewn-in piece of ribbon (Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell)

a card bookmark given free when I bought the book a long time ago now! (Thomas Covenant Chronicles)

an old bus ticket (Ingathering, NESFA Press- Zenna Henderson)

an old bill (Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury)

and (luckily, luckily unused - not even sure how it got there!) a cotton bud (erm, called a Q-Tip in the US?) (The Dark Descent (horror omnibus, edited by David Hartwell)

Just shows you what a mess my reading is at the moment, I guess!

Hobbit
    Mark

You sold out!! Now I can't admit to busting the spines, and dog-earing my books.

I don't see the point in treating paperbacks like they're special or somethin'. They're just cheap paperbacks. ::shrug:: Cheap glue, cheap covers, cheap everything. My nice books OTOH, god forfend that someone muck them up... 'course I never lend those out anyways.

As for bookmarks, I've never had one in my life. Dog-earing, or bits of paper, receipts, various assortments of trading cards (Harry Potter atm), spine bending....
    Last edited by BeardofPants; November 1st, 2004 at 06:47 PM. Reason: fergot the apostrophe tee....

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    AAGH..... you did that on purpose, Beard.

Never mind, you should know by now that the SFFWorld Bookmark Bureaucracy know where you live.... we get you in the end ... expect that knock on the door soon!

I don't see the point in treating paperbacks like they're special or somethin'. They're just cheap paperbacks. ::shrug:: Cheap glue, cheap covers, cheap everything.
    Even if they are cheap, I have got paperbacks going back thirty years now - and I'm regularly surprised by how many (what I thought were) well-known books and authors are out of print. (I've just dug out my Thomas Covenants from 1978, for example). I do find even when the pages yellow, they're still work hanging onto. It's also probably because I am a typical male-hoarder.

I hate to see *shudder* creases down spines, especially when on the bookshelves. But that's another story / thread.

*Puts gloves back on and goes back to the vacuum sealed levels of Hobbit Towers*

Hobbit
    Mark

LMAO, well, if you see 'em, send 'em my way... they might have some pants that I can nick.

I guess I should make the distinction between the cheap paperbacks, and those that no limey-ass knob worth his/her salt are gonna touch!! See, I buy books with some regularity... and if it's something that I really, REALLY like then I'll buy a "nice" copy, which is purely for collective purposes, and doesn't really tend to get read. For instance, with LOTR, I have three copies. One well-thumbed edition, and two collectors editions (both well and truly pre-movie). Honestly, I don't give a ducks bum whether or not the paper backs are mangled, cos I've got my nice copies.

*BoP, anti-horder
    Last edited by BeardofPants; November 1st, 2004 at 08:00 PM. Reason: missing an L... anyone?

No spine-bending please!!! I shudder at books like that!!!

I love the fact that I make my own bookmarks and have soooo many I can pick and choose which bookmark for whatever book!! lol

And Hobbit....

If you would like one, I would be very pleased to send you one!!

Shayna

Blog Entries
    I have a Michael Whelan bookmark with the cover art from a book called Dragonsbane by Barbra Hambly on it. I've had this bookmark for a few years now, and I think I'll only replace it if I find another Whelan bookmark somewhere. I'm a big Whelan fan.