Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I use my Veteran bookmark, it is this small laminated construction paper ruler i got at La Cité Collégial in 8th grade. It has been in every single one of my books ever since, and I hate starting a new book without it!

I had a beautiful bookmark I seem to have lost... Bought from Startford-upon-Avon it had a picture of Shakespeare's birthplace and the famous "All the world's a stage" quote.

I have a few nice bookmarks--including a fancy metal one I bought at Chapters--but I never use any of them. Since I normally read at work, I grab whatever is lying around--business card, sticky note, paper clip, whatever.

What I use as a bookmark isn't important. But what is important is that no pages of the book get bent or damaged! I can't stand it when people fold down the corners of my books!

A friend sent me some Maxine bookmarks, with tassels.

Maxine is a cranky old broad, and she is my hero.

The one in The Two Towers has Maxine saying "I can't wait to criticize the movie version". Another one says "This is where I fell asleep."

I have recently become inspired to create bookmarks though. Someone in the Beyond Reality group made one using art inspired by Cryptonomicon, and she sent it to me (as an e-mail attachment) -- I'm gonna laminate it.

A friend made me a dreamcatcher that I use as a bookmark for Dreamcatcher.

So I'm inspired to learn to use a computer program of some kind so I can make my own. I don't do anything remotely artsy (except quilting) so this'll be fun.

I got the idea to make mine! I have all kinds from bookmarks for kids( since i have my nieces who love them) to famous artists to Garfield ...and alot in between!! I do my own braided ends and my daughter has quite the collection!!

My favourites are done by Michael Whelan!! Love them and I use them! Different bookmarks for different books!!

OK, I'm going to be the one heretic. I fold down the corners of my books to mark the pages! I admit it!

Now, in my defense, I do NOT do that to books that I have borrowed from people.

Thing is, for a few years there, if I put a bookmark in a book, it was a guarantee that I would never finish it, for whatever reason. So I abandoned bookmarks and never really went back.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH....... *shudder*

Archren, you are a brave person to admit that on the Forums.....

...but do people want to borrow them from you once you've read it?

I'm very impressed with Ickle's idea of envelope corners.... recycling no less, Blue Peter would be proud!

It does seem for many that 'bookmarks are our friends'...

...Goes off for a lie down to recover from the shock, after a quick dust of 'his preciouses'...

Hobbit
    Mark

Oooh!!! Shudders too! lol

Most of my books look like they were never read, and yet....I guess I am a little fickle when it comes to my books!!

I hate lending them out!! I am so afraid that the backs will be broken or the corners turned down!! hehe no offence, Archren!

Originally posted by Shayna
    Oooh!!! Shudders too! lol

Most of my books look like they were never read, and yet....I guess I am a little fickle when it comes to my books!!

I hate lending them out!! I am so afraid that the backs will be broken or the corners turned down!! hehe no offence, Archren!
    I'm the exact same way, I hate loning books. A relative once wanted to borrow one, I ended up just buying her another copy lol.

I love loaning (or is it lending?) books, but I never loan anything that I can't easily replace. Borrowers have the best intentions, but something always happens.

One borrower tossed an issue of Twilight Zone magazine out with the newspapers (the issue with the Stephen King story "The Raft"). Another borrowed book was chewed by dogs. Others have been handled by children with sticky fingers. Some have just been lost.

There was one time that a loss was a blessing in disguise. A borrower replaced the book with two signed first editions of something else. They weren't writers that I liked, but I was able to trade those books, and I actually came out ahead, I think.

Archren I'll stand with you on this one...I too don't have a bookmark (as I've said before, I once used a chocolate one, but that was disasterous).

I usually end up just putting the book down face down on something. Or if it's a harcover I use the cover as a bookmark.

But I don't do that sort of thing when I borrow a book from someone.....mind you, I rather buy my own than borrow from people. If I end up not liking the book I either give it to charity or lend it to someone else (hoping not to get it back).

I've been using the same bookmark for well over 10 years... it is just one that a local indie bookstore hands out wwith each purchase... not much left of it now... but it still works.

Kaz - I'm with you on hardcovers, I use the book flap to keep place. Doesn't work as well on really thick books, but it's usually good.

After I abandoned bookmarks, the highest sophistication I had with book marking was a 3" x 5" index card.

Thinking about it, even with older hardcovers that have lost their jackets, I never dog-ear pages of hard-covers. Huh.

Forged One
    hmmm, for some reason whenever I use a bookmark, I never finish the book.

If for some reason I DON'T stay up all night and finish the book in one sitting, I make stupid little equationt to remember the page number. ie

235=> 2+3=5

or

238=> 2^3 = 8

I am such a little nerd.

Thats quite clever czavi! But you must get some that you can't get an equation for surely?

I just use a crappy piece of blue card that I cut from an old school book. I have folded it up loads and I can make nice patterns with it!! I really should get a proper book mark... Although of course I can't be bothered!!