Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i agree on catelyn, she annoys me. if nothing else because she was mean to Jon, so she should get the arse.

cersei too, if anyone deserves it, she does.

i'm only up to ACOK, so i don't know if this has already happened in the next books, but I really want Joffrey to die, i hate him so much, i guess that was martin's intention though.

sansa was a bitch in bk 1, and i wanted her dead after what she did to Arya and the direwolves, but after she became imprisoned, she was alot better.

oh, and Samwell Tarly, what a fat wuss!

wow, martin certainly does create characters that move you, one way or the other.

NEVER Tyrion. He's my favourite character and i think that if most of the main characters die, he should be the last one left, surviving through his cunning.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I remember how much I wanted Regal to suffer and die. What a big baby.

Cersei Lannister is godawful, ultimate bitch and obviously not half as clever as she thinks she is. Unfortunately her death won't come soon, it would be too cliched. Though I do expect Martin will make her suffer and show her for the blatant idiot that she is.

Like Bran Stark very much though

I find Catelyn Stark to be slightly sympathetic as well. She did have some good counsel, but whenever she wasn't councilling and had to make decisions of her own, she went ballistic. I look forward to seeing more of her, the much hated Uncat.

Lysa Arryn was terrible as well. I'm trying to think of one of Zelazny's Amber characters but none of them affected me so much that I either loved or hated them. Brand I admired, a bit

My dislike for spiders leads to a giant gag party whenever I read of Shelob's description. Slimy and way too many eyes

Am I the only person who likes Cersei? Sure she's the queen bitch, but she's a well developed intresting character. Villians are usually just the fall guys; in aSoIaF I can let myself like them, knowing they aren't predestined to die or mellow out.

You know, Cersei bugged me a lot more in the first book than she did later on... I still don't like her, but I sort of respect her strength, in a weird way, and she is a really well-made character.
    Now that Martin's doing her perspective I'll probably like her a lot better...
    As Jaime is now one of my favorites

I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for this but the one character I hate the most is still Thomas Covenant. I hated him so much that I couldn't even finish the first book. I know I just don't feel his pain or I can't handle the challenge of this series, it IS hard to keep reading when you're just waiting for the main character to get killed.

Though, I found all of the TC series at a used book sale this weekend and bought them. I may give it another shot sometime.

The only characters I hate are the ones I find badly portraited, like all of Jordan's women and Fitz Chivalry form the Farseer (no-one can be so much a fool!).

Au contraire, I find Cersai very likable (in her own, villainious way).

Just about any of Jordan's main female characters with a few exceptions. The thing that annoys me about them is that Jordan clearly expects the reader to find their annoying habits and personalities endearing (Hehe, she called him a woolhead again. She's being a bitch again, that Nynaeve.) when they're really irritating. A character like Regal, Cersei Lannister or Thomas Covenant I don't mind anywhere near as much as they're not meant to be particularly likable. I liked reading Regal's comeuppence and I look forward to Cersei's but I don't find the characters tiresome to read about.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The thing that annoys me about them is that Jordan clearly expects the reader to find their annoying habits and personalities endearing

I doubt that. I'm pretty sure he knows that the majority of people find them annoying. Also some of those habits are funny .

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    I certainly never thought that Jordan wrote these traits as endearing but rather as the typical traits we all have that others do find annoying even if they are friends or loved ones.

Personally I do find it funny that so many get irritated in the exact same manner that I hear people complained about real life people. Not the mannerisms themselves, but the same level of irritation at small individual elements of personality.

Familiarity does certainly breed contempt.

i have no argument that cersei is a well-written and interesting character, but i do hate her (as martin most likely intended), and she eventually deserves to die.

Just wanted to add Stannis to my list. I'm reading my way through Storm of Swords as we speak and I can't help thinking he's a dick. Personally I think Bran's got one of the best stories. When he comes into his power for real maybe you won't find him so boring. Also hate Ilyn Payne for having the audacity to bear Ice. Sumbitch. Janos Slynt, ahhh... so many despicable Martin characters to hate. BTW, Catelyn being mean to Jon just made her a more realistic, flesh and blood character to me, however much I like Jon (a lot; same name!!). When I read that part all doubts of Martin's skill as an author went flying out the window.

I totally agree that characters you're supposed to hate aren't as bad.
    That's what shows an author's skill- you shouldn't hate the good guys, and that's the thing with Martin- you don't.
    With Jordan, though I love his books, I have to say there's a lot of characters that I can't stand (i.e. Faile, often Elayne, sometimes Egwene and Nynaeve, and even RAND! what an idiot sometimes)

Another character I hate is Derek Crownguard from The Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy. That guy was totally insane and was such a big, whiny baby! I was glad when he was killed by the dragonarmies!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree that characters you're supposed to hate aren't as bad.
    That's what shows an author's skill- you shouldn't hate the good guys, and that's the thing with Martin- you don't.
    With Jordan, though I love his books, I have to say there's a lot of characters that I can't stand (i.e. Faile, often Elayne, sometimes Egwene and Nynaeve, and even RAND! what an idiot sometimes)
    To me that should show you that Jordan has more skill or has more realistic characters. Just because they are the good guys doesnt mean that they should be likable.

Also I disagree with you that all of Martins good guys are nice people you should love and all his bad guys are people you should hate.

Hrm i have not said you know what for a long time.

[This message has been edited by Caldazar (edited February 25, 2002).]

The Betrayer of Hope Elan Morin Tedronai's Avatar
    Hobb's characters!
    All of them!