Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    More sales is a desired result of improvement. Well, it is in the real world.

I wish someone would write a book about some people I know - so I could post their names here

Good point there, Bond. I hated that Liandrin a lot, too.

As for Leah, this is just a guess, but maybe in the original idea Luke and Leah were the same person and that person was a girl. Whatever, if I'm ever talking to Lucas I'll be sure and ask him. Right after I tell him that N-Sync fiasco scared the hell outta me and nearly scarred me for life.

Hey Menteith, I'd like to help but if I ever got around to writing a book there'd barely be enough room for all the crappy/ weird/ funny people I've met.

What does "pusilanimous" mean?

[This message has been edited by saintjon (edited March 14, 2002).]

Everyone lives in their own world as it appears.
    As far as I'm concerned the craper the work, the more is going to sale.
    And I'm not saying this to be snobish; I'm saying it because I see it all around me.

the wife of Pug(what was her name again?)

Faile just annoys me, as do all Melanie Rawn's one dimensional characters.

Personnaly Faile didn't bother me that much but Nynaeve was so annoying. She is the worst character in Jordan's books. Eddings women (Ce'Nedra, Polgara, etc) were really bad.

By the way Pug's wife was named Katala and she wasn't that bad.

I'm starting Mad Ship and I think I'd like to strangle Malta.

Come now Bardos, 'the craper the work the more is going to sale' (sic)?

I'm not going to get into lists here but that is a sweeping generalisation with no basis in reality. By that token you're implying that fewer sales mean a book is better.

Let's face it, somne crap books sell heaps, some great books sell criminally few. My point was that for every author (with surely an unbelievably small number of rather strange exceptions) improvng their novel is a method of increasing sales. That's logic. Doesn't always work but it's logic just the same.

I dunno, Pug's wife was really nice and all but i kept hoping she would die. Dunno why.
    I liked Polgara, though, but agree about Ce'Nedra. What a whiny idiot.

NOM> I am of the opinion: The Writer knows better. If the writer does not like an idea, but it is forced upon him, to "make his work better", then it is actually going to make it worse. How the heck is the reader going to like the story, if the author doesn't?!?!

My point about "the more crap a book is the more it sells" is indeed a generalization; i.e., it is what generaly happens --in everything. That is not to say that a good book can't sell, or a badly writen book will surely sell. But, generaly, yes, crap sell, b/c most people don't want to think; they want to be given chewed food.

I know what you're saying, Bardos but in the case we're discussing, the book was already good and strong but the editor felt that the change of character would make it yet better. And he was right. It is a foolish author who does not listen to his or her editor (assuming they respect them, that is...)

Don't forget, a major part of an editor's job is to take the script from their author and improve it where they can. The author creates, the editor (alongside the author) refines. Unquestionably, an authors often get too close to their books and can't see the obvious until it is pointed out. This was such a case.

There was no forcing, by the way. The author has total control, which is as it should be.

[This message has been edited by NOM (edited March 18, 2002).]

As I said before, I haven't read Barclay, so I can express an opinion about HIS work. I used him as an example, for what was said in the interview pushed one of my buttons.

Anyway, I DO like to think that editors try to make an author's work better, but I can't stop thinking either that they think of money foremost.

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    I'm starting Mad Ship and I think I'd like to strangle Malta.
    Elpa, without giving anything away, just wait until you see her about halfway through SHIP OF DESTINY.

Damn, I was hoping some terrible tragedy might befall her.