Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    All of Hobb's characters?

C'est ne pas possible. However, IIRC you did prefer David Eddings over JRR Tolkien so I guess anything's possible

Smaug
    Personal insults are no longer tolerated at this site.

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited February 26, 2002).]

Disabled by the evil Mods Belgarion's Avatar
    Be careful Smaug! That a bit extreme and caustic. But I know what you mean.....I guess Mifthanion is a little over-excited with this web-site.

I too get annoyed with him when he can't understand why certain people like certain authors that doesn't suit his taste. He should respect other people taste.

By the way, Mifthanion..I Like Eddings..so what your problem? ;-)

Smaug...BE NICE to Mifthanion..he may be a little sensitive to your comments.

Usuall way for Eddings fans to show their intellect...

All right, Caldazar, I like Jordan too, no need to get on your crazy "Jordan is perfect and cand od no wrong" train of thought.
    With Martin, I don't even think you can always tell who's good or bad, but generally speaking, you don't dislike that Starks, or Daenerys, or Davos- at least I hope not. I think he conveys the characteristics and personality he wants.

Whereas Jordan's characters are frequently annoying or boring even if they're not supposed to be. I agree that he has some really good character development skills especially in the case of Min, Moiraine, and even Rand. I'm just saying that he has a lot of annoying females in his books.

I liked a lot of Hobbs characters, but it really bugged me that every 5 pages Fitz got beat to pieces. I kept wishing he wouldn't get so broken up. Plus, he was really stupid sometimes. Still loved the books, though.

I live in my own little world . . . or one of its suburbs.
    I think Martin writes villians that you love to hate, and he does it well. Personally, I enjoy having villians that I can't stand. It pulls me into the story and makes rooting for the "good guys" that much more fun.

Jordan has some characters that I hate, but often times I can't tell whether or not that was his intention. I'm fairly sure that Nyneave is supposed to be liked for all her haughtiness. I, for one, think it's annoying. And as for his villians, I actually like a lot of them. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, it's just different. I'm actually quite fond of both of these authors.

As for hobb, sometimes her characters are incredibly frustrating, but even with that, they are beleivable (my opinion, of course). At times, Fitz made some really dumb decisions. At times, I wanted to strangle the unfortunate bastard (and I'm not calling names here), but I don't think it hurt the story. The fact that I was actually moved to frustration showed that I cared about the characters. I have read plenty of stories where the characters do something stupid, and I just shrug wait for them to pay the consequences. But with hobb, this wasn't the case. So even though her Characters, at times, make some really aggravating mistakes (and I appreciate that the ending, although not incredibly "happy", actually fit the way all the characters behaved), I like them.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    I don't hate Martin's good guys??? Says who? Ed Stark was incredibly stupid and while I realize that had he been written with any modicum of true sense the whole series falls on its face, I still found his xharacter a bit grating.

*spoilers below*
    The fact he had doomed imprinted firmly on his forehead from the get go only made the story all the less compelling despite Martin's skill.

Oh, I also dislike Jon Snow and Arya is getting a bit much too; warrior extraordinaire at such a tender age (wrist developement alone should have precluded half her feats of violence).

So Martin is hardly as perfect as you might suggest for some of the rest of us. Not to mention the incredible animosity that many fans direct toward Catelyn who I think is definitely a 'hero' in the series (an animosity I do not share btw).

<<So Martin is hardly as perfect as you might suggest for some of the rest of us.>>

Martin is, indeed, not perfect, though he is the best amongst the modern well-know authors.
    Three Major Factors costribute to that:
    1) Interesting Plot (keeps us guessing)
    2) REAL characters
    3) The Plot is actually moving, and going somewhere!

Close behind Martin is Erikson, for the same reasons mostly. And, personaly, I think that Erikson is better in some part; i.e., no children fighting like the Devil.

And, last but not least, Jordan sooks.

I agree with everyone.
    There.
    I think everyone on this board is just looking for an argument. I wasn't trying to say anything argumentative and really, I do agree about Martin's characters, that sometimes you dislike the good guys. Although, I don't see how you didn't like Ned.
    What my original intention in saying was that by 'characters you hate' I didn't mean the characters like Regal or Cersei that are just evil. I mean, Cersei's still fun to read about even if she's not nice. I mean characters that are a waste of paper, that you wish would just die (i.e. Faile and Ce'Nedra for me mainly).
    Really, I don't think any of Martin's characters are a waste. Or very many of Jordan's.

Back in Cairns enjoying the onset of Summer
    Couldn't put it off any longer.

I hate Axis from the Sara Douglass's series.

He's supposed to be the hero but by the end of the first trilogy I just couldn't stand him. What a pig of a man!! and Azhure is not much further behind.

Thank goodness I didn't have parents like them.

But I thought you like Sara Douglass' work?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All right, Caldazar, I like Jordan too, no need to get on your crazy "Jordan is perfect and cand od no wrong" train of thought.

Umm you made comments about both authors that I thought were incorrect. I responded. At no time did I say Jordan was perfect or could do know wrong. Please don't presume to know what my thoughts are.

Back in Cairns enjoying the onset of Summer
    I LOVE Sara Douglass. I'm her biggest fan.

But I still hate Axis. Just proves she's a great writer - she can make me react so negatively to some of her characters because of the way they treat others in her books. Its because of my involvement with these others that I despise him so much. Not many authors can achieve this level of commitment for me.

Belgarion

I suppose your post merits a reply.

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I was posting under the apprehension that this was a discussion board. That, to me, implies that there will be varying opinions that are expressed. If you can give me a valid reason for why I shouldn't express mine then I'll consider it.

I too get annoyed with him when he can't understand why certain people like certain authors that doesn't suit his taste. He should respect other people taste.

In the same vein, should I get annoyed with you every time you mention David Eddings is the best author you've ever seen? Or to put it differently, is it ok to praise a series but not to voice negative comments about it? For instance, I know Bardos absolutely despises Fitz Chivalry, who has to be my all-time favourite fiction character. These opinions go together quite well, despite the difference.

However,I do understand that certain fans here have extremely long toes. I'll take that into account.

As for my comment to Elan...

He/she stated that he/she hated all of Robin Hobb's characters. Since Hobb's forte is her characterization, I find that comment extremely awkward. I cannot imagine that someone would hate all characters of someone who is renowned for her characterization, rather than her worldbuilding or her magic system/other races, especially as she creates characters that aren't alike each other.

[This message has been edited by Mithfânion (edited February 27, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mithfânion (edited February 27, 2002).]