9 12.68%
  • Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

34 47.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Who will finish first?

Kinda pointless poll but i'm bored.

I think it will be Erikson, as he is the only of the authors releasing each of his books once a year, he has an outline of what will happen in each of the books, and hasn't changed his contract to have more books, unlike Jordan and Goodkind who are always writing more and more books, and Martin who is taking ages with a Feast for Crows

Uh, Moderator
    I voted Erikson.
    I don't think Terry Goodkind will stop writing while he's getting cash for producing at the level he is now, Martin is struggling to write a sequel in 4 years, I can't see him doing the two after that in rapid succession and I haven't read Jordan so can't comment there.
    Erikson has proven (so far) that he can churn his novels out regularly, and has a reasonably rigid (so far) plan of where he is going. Stranger things have happened.

Erikson all the way...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I voted Jordan. In a online chat he did today he said he is still aiming at finishing the series in two more books making 12 in total. Even with writing two more prequals which he believes will not delay the series, I think he as a chance of beating Erikson to the post.

Erikson has been pumping them out at one a year but he is currently taking a break to write the encylopedia Malazan and I doubt he can keep up the pace of a book a year over the next five years. He could stumble like Martin has or the complexity of his books could cause him to slow down as RJ did. RJ also pumped out five books in five years.

Goodkind has an outside chance as his contempt for the genre may become so bad that he can't stand to write in it anymore even though he denies his books are fantasy.

Martin imo has no hope of winning the race.

Not a huge fan of Jordan (actually not one really at all) but I wonder if he'll continue on to another series or retire with his truckloads of money, which I as many believe has been squeezed unrighteously from his fans with dribble. Of course I'm going on mostly heresay so I don't want to elaborate too greatly. Did read the first book, and I have to say the epilogue was absolutely fantastic, some of the best fantasy stuff I've ever read. First line was really gripping and eloquent. Unfortunately the rest of the book was a chore to get through.

But anyways I'll go with Jordan to, I think the unruliness of his fans are going to drive this baby to completion shortly.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I don't know anything about Goodkins, so he's out.

Martin will write at least two more books after Feast. That means it won't be done at least for 5 years.

Jordan's got two more lined up and published the last one a year ago, she he's going to finish sooner. It'll be either Jordan or Erikson.

Originally posted by Caldazar
    I voted Jordan. In a online chat he did today he said he is still aiming at finishing the series in two more books making 12 in total.
    Do you have a link handy to the transcripts from this interview?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Link is in the Jordan forum.

I'd probably guess Martin... Erikson will be at least 5 more years if he keeps to the 10 books he planned... probably a close race though.

I would guess Erikson. Neither Jordan nor Goodkind will stop so long as they sell, and Martin is aiming at about 7 books, at his present rate means I'LL BE DEAD AND BURIED before he finishes.

*breaks down in weeping wailing sobbing heap of desperation on the floor*

Goodkind has an outside chance as his contempt for the genre may become so bad that he can't stand to write in it anymore even though he denies his books are fantasy
    FOCL

Well, if Erikson is planning on releasing ten, then I'll go to Jordan if he can stick with twelve. IF

Of course, someone may kill Goodkind some day, which would mean the series is done, so who knows?

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    There is no force, on earth or heaven, that will make A Song of Ice and Fire finish first. My vote goes to Malazan.

OTOH, Erikson's aiming for 10, which means even at the rate of one per year, he'll take 6 years to finish off. Martin has 3 to go, which at the rate of one per 4 years is 12. Jordan has -- maybe two left. Goodkind just oughta be stopped from writing any further... so he should be the first one done.

Well, since people still seem to buy both Jordan and Gooodkind's books (my mind boggels) they won't be finishing them anytime soon. My vote goes to Erikson.