• Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

18 25.35%
  • Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth

9 12.68%
  • Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

34 47.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Last edited by JohnH; June 13th, 2004 at 11:02 PM.

I would say Jordan, if for nothing else than he is in danger of losing many, many fans if he doens't wrap it up soon.

I think people will continue to buy his WOT books, since they have invested so much time into them already, but he may not be able to sell another series if he doesn't show that he is capable of wrapping up his story.

I think, like many others have said, that there is absolutely no way that Martin will finish first. I expect to be reading the ending of ASOIAF when I am a middle aged man (I am now 24). As long as the quality remains constant throughout I will patiently wait it out. As long as it is finished before I die, I will be happy.

Appy Polly Logies
    I default to Erickson.

Martin has a chance. He's taking a long time for Feast of Crows, but probably only because he basically had to start over again. He won't make the same mistake twice, and he only has two books to go after this one. Still, speed isn't a characteristic he's ever been known for.

If Jordan really does just slam out two more books and call it quits, he could do it too. I doubt it. From what I've heard, he doesn't seem to be getting much closer to a resolution.

Goodkind will definately be last to finish. His books don't conform to an over-all story arc, he just makes up each book as he goes along. He could churn out another book at whim, which is basically printing money in his case, so why stop? Besides, he thinks his books are the best thing since Ayn Rand, so he'd probably still be writing them if he had to publish them in his own garage.

Erickson isn't beset by any of the problems of these other authors, that I know of, so I default to him.

I have no idea what most of these authors plans are for the length of their series but I'll give a guess.

I'd have to go with Jordan for finishing first. For as ridiculously long I think the Wot is, I can't think that Jordan would want to continue on for much longer (but then what do I know).

I don't know what Goodkind's plans are for the SoT. I've only read WFR and stayed away from the rest of his stuff. For all I know, he could be almost finished with this series.

God knows how long Martin is going to take. Unless book 5 comes out relatively quickly, I think we're looking at many more years for aSoIaF.

I believe Erickson has many more books planned for his series and I don't see how he can keep up the pace. Especially with the average length of each book.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Goodkind will never finish since then he would have to dream up a new world and he says that he isn't a "world builder."
    Jordan will never finish but keep the Third Age rolling along till it rolls along again.
    Martin: His books are massive and he may break an arm trying to pick one up (along with his foot once it slips from his broken arm and lands on his foot). Thus, he'll be out of commission for a year.
    So, by default, it will be Erikson.

Since I haven't read Erikson I'd say Jordan though it's a very tenious Jordan vote...

First Sword of Empire
    Jordan will finish first I think, but Erikson won't be too far behind as he's been turning them out pretty regularly so far. As for Martin, no way. Waiting for his books to be released would drive the Dalai Lama crazy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well based on Goodkinds recent news of SoT being finished in three more books it looks like he might win.

No one voted for Goodkind though .

If I could i'd change my vote to Terry.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Last edited by JohnH; June 13th, 2004 at 11:03 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Goodkind won? I think he's finished. Well done to the one person who voted for him

RJ with Sandersons help looks like he will be second followed by Erikson with GRRM a very distant third. Or will Erikson come second? I havn't really been following him since book 5 or so.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Sort of weird to look at this poll now with Goodkind done with SOT and Jordan gone. Funny about the twists and turns in life isn't it?

Wow ... yeah, it is weird to look at something like this now. I wasn't around when this pole was started and I didn't know it was here. Reading some of the old posts is ... interesting. [A Song of Ice and Fire was six books long not so many years ago! ... and, of course, Jordan was still with us. Its sobering to read speculations on how he would get on from back in 04.]

Ah, well...

I can't substantiate this, but now that Goodkind's won, [with Confessor released last November], it looks like Jordan will come second with Sanderson's help. I believe Sanderson has stated, probably in his rather handy AMoL project faq, that the tentative plan is to finish A Memory of Light in time for a fall 2009 release. May Brandon Sanderson be praised! If Erikson continues to produce a book a year, The Crippled God will come thundering upon us in summer 2010, [unless he opts to do anything silly like line edit the thing.]
    ________
    Plymouth Plaza History
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 03:03 AM.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I just voted without looking at the date
    I didn't even know that Confessor was the last in Terry Goodkind SOT : shows how annoyed I was after struggling to end the book with the shooting statues.

after this thread maybe it will be interesting to make a poll "who will finish last?" for a multi-volume epic:
    -Martin with A song of Ice and Fire or
    -J V Jones with Sword of Shadows
    - Terry Brooks [how many Shannara novels are still planned?]

I'm not sure Terry Brooks qualifies in the poll, as his novels are not a true multi-volume epic, but stand-alones loosely related. What other epics with more than 5 volumes are still in the books? Kingdom of Thorn and Bone maybe - but I don't think we will have major delays from this particular corner.

Personally I hope and pray that the longest running multi-volume epic will remain the Discworld, and that Terry Pratchett will stay with us for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    - Terry Brooks [how many Shannara novels are still planned?]

According to his website, he's writing a new Landover novel for release in 2009, and preparing a new Shannara trilogy for release from 2010-2012.

Still, you can't really say that he'll ever finish the entire Shannara world series. His series are mostly stand-alone trilogies with the next one building on what came before, although not necessary to enjoy the story, as opposed to, say ASoIaF or WoT.

Can we say that Goodkind is finished though? Confessor was the last book in the Chainfire Trilogy, but that trilogy was merely another chapter in the larger series (although it did allegedly resolve plot threads from earlier in the series). Most importantly, Goodkind has already said he's going to write more books in the series. So this debatable.

Otherwise, Jordan and Sanderson look like they're going to get A Memory of Light out in late 2009 or early 2010 (I think Sanderson's postive attitude on his blog is masking the fact that it's going to take A LOT of work to finsih this series, and since he hasn't even started his work on AMOL yet it's unlikely he'll be finished by November or December this year as he wants), which will put them close to Erikson, who should release The Crippled God in June 2010 if he stays on target.

GRRM is obviously right out. We should get A Dream of Spring in late 2015 or early 2016 if he sticks to the 3-years-per-book schedule that ADWD seems to have set up.

As for other long-running series, we'll have to see about Jones. She seems confident at getting The Shadow Under the Ice (working title) out in 2009, but then her estimates for Book 3 were way off, plus there's another volume to come after that. Bakker's Second Apocalypse series should, in theory, be finished by 2015 or 2016 if he keeps up his one book every 18 months schedule, but he may have another three-year-break between Books 6 and 7 like he did between 3 and 4, so it's difficult to say.

Raymond E. Feist confirmed that there will 'only' be another five Riftwar books: a duology called The Demonwar Saga and a trilogy called The Godswar Saga. Assuming he cranks them out pretty quickly, the entire 30-novel series should be finished by 2014-15.

I doubt Scott Lynch is going to keep up his one-book-a-year schedule (he's slipping by a couple of months per year). Based on his current schedule I'd expect Inherit the Night in or arond mid-2013.
    Last edited by Werthead; March 14th, 2008 at 10:11 AM.