Why no good space opera on Television?

I remember in the 1990s/2000s there were a wide variety of science fiction shows like: Star Trek: TNG, DS9, Farscape, Firefly, Andromeda, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, and many others. But in the 2010s there does not seem to be that many shows left on TV any more. How come?

Things go in cycles. Right now it's werewolves, vampires, Grimm (which I like), Sleepy Hollow (which sucks IMO), Once Upon a Time, Resurrection, etc. Basically supernatural-type stuff. Then for a while it'll be cops shows, then medical dramas, then back to SF. If there's one thing that Hollywood teaches us, it's that anything worth doing is worth beating to death.

Didn't you get the Babylon 5 DVDs?

psik

Quote Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
    Then for a while it'll be cops shows, then medical dramas
    I wish this drivel went through cycles. Seems to be eternal to me.

James S A Corey's Expanse series is coming to Syfy soon. They said it will be their "most ambitious" production yet. Should be cool.

I really hope the Expanse tv show on SyFy is good as it is one of my favorite series...

Also, I really wish that a channel like HBO, AMC, or FX had a Sci Fi show. I just imagine a show as big as Game of Thrones but with Sci Fi themes would be my dream show. I have read about a few Sci Fi shows that might be coming on these channels but I am not sure if or when these are going to happen.

Westworld on HBO is a show that I have read about that might happen soon. Based on the Sci Fi movie from 1973. Jonathan Nolan, and J.J. Abrams are involved, and if this ever came around it could be pretty cool.

Ballistic City on AMC might be the show that i would enjoy the most but it seems the furthest away from actually happening. I have read it described as a cross between Chinatown, Blade Runner, and Battlestar Galactica... Oblivion director Joseph Kosinski, and Pacific Rim writer Travis Beacham are the ones that are supposed to be making this, but I have no idea if this is actually going to happen yet. there are a couple of other sci fi shows that might end up on AMC like Area 51, and Galyentine....but Ballistic City looks the best to me.

Redshirts on FX based on the book by John Scalzi is another show that i have read that is in the works...I have not read the book but from what I understand is kind of a comedy compared to the other shows.

Anyways...I'm hoping the Expanse series turns out good...and also hopefully some of these other shows get made and come out sometime soon as well.

It's expensive to produce and there aren't any iconic stories to fall back upon. Nothing iconic in the literary world can be turned into a profitable television enterprise. SF lacks a Game of Thrones (let alone a Lord of the Rings) despite the amazing comic/manga landscape of old ideas. Forget new ideas - they are simply ignored in the old media world.

Once the transition from old media is complete we will see much more. That transition is still happening, and will keep going for a bit longer.

I used to hope for a Star Trek reboot, but the films have pissed all over everything that has come before with their pathetic and inexcusable time travel eraser, so henceforth that franchise is a corporate machine with no soul.

I hope these things do go in cycles. I hope one day there will be a resurgence of science fiction TV shows and I hope it brings with it a renaissance in movies and books as well. I'm not usually the kind of person to idealize or romanticize the past, but I really do miss the good ol' days when science fiction was more popular.

Here's to The Expanse TV show doing well and maybe even paving the way for more. If there is anything that can capture the mainstream today, it's The Expanse. It's got all of the elements that I would think would really draw in television viewers today; set piece action sequences, geopolitical conflict and in-fighting, government oppression and misinformation, a bit of space exploration, mystery and fear of the unknown, and, of course, likable characters with interesting interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Geiger View Post
    I wish this drivel went through cycles. Seems to be eternal to me.
    I liked 'House' and 'Scrubs' (if it counts) but I'd agree with you on the cop shows and other medical dramas. There's just so many of them!
    Last edited by DeckardLee; July 20th, 2014 at 11:17 AM.

Just a few updates on the upcoming Sci Fi shows:

The Expanse- Thomas Jane has been cast as Detective Miller still no word on Holden for the Epanse on SyFy. I know Thomas Jane from Boogie Nights, and Scott Pilgrim but according to IMDB he is known for the Mist, and Dreamcatcher. here is his profile on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005048/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Westworld- Anthony Hopkins, and Even Rachel Wood have been cast to play lead roles on this show on HBO. Big names, so hopefully it turns out good.

Ballistic City- I said earlier I didn't know if this show is still happening on AMC. I tweeted to Travis Beacham the writer of Pacific Rim, and writer for Ballistic City. I asked him if this show was till happening on AMC, and he replied with: "that's the plan"....so I guess that is somewhat good news.

Doomfarer
    Quote Originally Posted by suboptimal View Post
    It's expensive to produce and there aren't any iconic stories to fall back upon. Nothing iconic in the literary world can be turned into a profitable television enterprise. SF lacks a Game of Thrones (let alone a Lord of the Rings) despite the amazing comic/manga landscape of old ideas. Forget new ideas - they are simply ignored in the old media world.
    Apart from 1) Dune (and I mean the proper stuff by Frank Herbert) and that has already been done and 2) the Honorverse.

I hate to break it to ya, but vamps and werewolves are here to stay. Networks discovered girls will watch fantasy if the occasional hot guy and fantastic romances are thrown in. There is no tradition of shirtless guys carrying space opera, so networks can't have any realistic belief they can access the same market.

Best chance would be if there is a dystopian/young adult space epic. Not sure there really is, although I suppose The Lunar Chronicles is kinda close. That wasn't too bad imho. Wouldn't mind seeing them make that into a series.

Doomfarer
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    I hate to break it to ya, but vamps and werewolves are here to stay. Networks discovered girls will watch fantasy if the occasional hot guy and fantastic romances are thrown in. There is no tradition of shirtless guys carrying space opera, so networks can't have any realistic belief they can access the same market.
    You mean apart from John Carter of Mars who used to leave the trousers off as well. Can't see him coming back in a hurry though after the Disney flop.

I think a big part of the problem is the special effects costs.

It is so much cheaper to do science fiction like post-apocalyptic or paranormal that is all Earth-based because it is just a bit of makeup.

No space ships, space battles, or alien species because of the costs and they seem to pull the good ones quickly when they do get started.