Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Anime and manga that you like, follow and/or would recommend?

    Basically this is analogous to the comics thread, since a number of them are science fiction, fantasy and horror-related but are generally considered separate from western comics and cartoons I decided to create a separate thread.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    41
    Generational warning - Born in the 70s. May influence taste.

    RECOMMENDED

    There’s a lot that I like either the writing OR the art, these are my faves that are pretty good for both writing and art in my opinion.

    ANIME

    Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, AKIRA, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Eureka 7, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop (TV & movie), Samurai Champloo, Tekkonkinkreet, Summer Wars, Giant Robo: The Night the Earth Stood Still, Darker Than Black, anything by Hayao Miyazaki pretty much, Eden of the East (TV series).

    MANGA

    Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita/GUNNM, Appleseed, AKIRA (better than anime), Domu, Full Metal Alchemist, Venus Wars II (I was okay but oddly I liked II much more), Blade of the Immortal, King of Thorns. Naruto is a’ight.

    ________

    CURRENTLY CHECKING OUT

    ANIME

    Durara!, Kill La Kill

    MANGA

    20th Century Boys, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Blood Blockade Battlefront.

    All I can think of away from my collection.

    Nick.

  3. #3
    Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan are the two highest rated on Netflix at the moment, and I really enjoyed both.

    Sword Art Online is the highest rated title of any kind I have ever seen on Netflix, with 4.7 out of 5, and it has over 150,000 ratings. It is not funny like Ready Player One, but otherwise evokes a fairly similar nostalgic type of feel for the days when I was into MMOs. Its nice that Season 2 is in production and slated for July. Apparently the manga is far ahead.

    I enjoyed High School of the Dead, but I don't think they are making a season 2.

    I'm kind of picky and haven't gotten into any of the others at all at this point.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan are the two highest rated on Netflix at the moment,
    Ugh.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    and I really enjoyed both.

    Sword Art Online is the highest rated title of any kind I have ever seen on Netflix, with 4.7 out of 5, and it has over 150,000 ratings. It is not funny like Ready Player One, but otherwise evokes a fairly similar nostalgic type of feel for the days when I was into MMOs. Its nice that Season 2 is in production and slated for July. Apparently the manga is far ahead.
    Check out Log Horizon and the various hack animes.
    IMO Log Horizon is a far better choice if you are interested in MMO related stuff.
    Also No Game No Life, after the 1st episode I am hooked.


    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    I enjoyed High School of the Dead, but I don't think they are making a season 2.

    I'm kind of picky and haven't gotten into any of the others at all at this point.
    No, there isn't a season 2, there is however an OVA. complete with a beach episode, chech it out, also you might find Black Lagoon, Jormungand, and maybe Noir interesting.
    Last edited by Vlad1; April 16th, 2014 at 06:28 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post
    Ugh.


    Check out Log Horizon and the various hack animes.
    IMO Log Horizon is a far better choice if you are interested in MMO related stuff.
    Also No Game No Life, after the 1st episode I am hooked.




    No, there isn't a season 2, there is however an OVA. complete with a beach episode, chech it out, also you might find Black Lagoon, Jormungand, and maybe Noir interesting.

    Tried Log Horizon and, well, hated it. Each to their own. You owe me 16 minutes, but maybe we'll go double or nothing and I'll try one of the others you recommended.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    Tried Log Horizon and, well, hated it. Each to their own. You owe me 16 minutes, but maybe we'll go double or nothing and I'll try one of the others you recommended.
    Well then, we will have to agree to disagree I suppose, as I view Sword Art Online as implausible, both technically and plot-wise, full of sub-par characterization, a badly put-together game world and a third-rate plot that runs out of steam halfway.
    Really just another teen soap anime with some added combat masquerading as something else.
    And while the visuals and music were pleasing everything else was meh.

    Log Horizon in contrast had much better character development and exploration and its in-universe game system was much more fleshed out and interesting.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post

    Log Horizon in contrast had much better character development and exploration and its in-universe game system was much more fleshed out and interesting.
    We *could* have agreed to disagree, but you made your argument, so its on!

    I found the 16 minutes of Log Horizon I suffered through very juvenile, with stuff like the two minute "panty" bit perhaps appealing to tweens. And it went on and on like that. Not sure how "character development" factors into that. I couldn't remotely get past it.

    As for Sword Art Online...150,000 ratings on netflix says that your views are not typical.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    We *could* have agreed to disagree, but you made your argument, so its on!

    I found the 16 minutes of Log Horizon I suffered through very juvenile, with stuff like the two minute "panty" bit perhaps appealing to tweens. And it went on and on like that. Not sure how "character development" factors into that. I couldn't remotely get past it.
    Ok, you aren't very good at things like reading comprehension.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    As for Sword Art Online...150,000 ratings on netflix
    So what, Twilight has over 4 000 five star reviews on Amazon, with an overall score of 4.1, does that make it any less crappy, hell no.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    says that your views are not typical.
    Why thank you, I know I have good taste.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •