Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Monosylabik
    2000AD was a favourite of mine as a kid in the eighties. Judge Dredd, Slann, Halo Jones - loved 'em all. It's well past its heyday now, though, sadly like most things I enjoyed when I was younger.
    Not forgeting Johnny Alpha and Durham Red .I must remember to look in my mums attic i think the first 5oo issues are up there plus all the old STARLORD comics anyone rememer these

Slann? I think I meant Slaine. Any way, you guys know who I mean.

There was no limit to the awesome characters 2000AD pumped out in its heyday.

Registered as What?
    Anyone reading DC's Identity Crisis ? It's causing quite a stir among DC faithful and has even gotten a mention in my local paper(The Kansas City Star).

I've got standing orders for the first time in years:

Daredevil
    Conan
    Wanted
    Nyx

Yes, pretty pathetic, but I'd given up collecting singles until recently. Also, I'm not sure about Wanted, it's interesting but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I'm reading Identity Crisis right now, and enjoying it. But, it definitely is a little darker in tone than I suspected.

But, I've never really followed DC comics till just recently, so, why all the hub bub??

Keyoke

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyoke
    I'm reading Identity Crisis right now, and enjoying it. But, it definitely is a little darker in tone than I suspected.

But, I've never really followed DC comics till just recently, so, why all the hub bub??

Keyoke
    Well, it is making certain heroes darker than they were once, plus the killing of a popular secondary character has some people up in arms. Personally, I love it.

Finished reading the mini-series by Alan Davis Another Nail, a sequel to the wonderful, The Nail. The second time around, Davis doesn't touch the neatness( for lack of a better word) of the previous series. Another Nail is not as fun and interesting, but still I was entertained.

Looking forward to the Batman event "War Games" starting next month. A 24 issue crossover of most of the Bat Titles, this one sounds very interesting and I am hoping for the changes that have been suggested.

The Ballad of Halo Jones volumes one, two and three; script by Alan Moore; artist by Ian Gibson.

Wow. Coincidentally, re 2000AD, a friend has lent me all his specials dedicated to The Ballad of Halo Jones, covering every issue featuring the eponymous heroine's science fiction adventures. They are so old the ink rubs off on my fingers . In volume one Halo Jones is an eighteen-year old girl who lives in a hellish mega-city called The Hoop on 50th-Century Earth. The story takes place over one day and follows Halo's comical misadventures on a shopping trip.

Just finished reading my way through Transmetropolitan, all 60 volumes of it.. I think it's done something to my head but I don care..

.. a sunday well spent.

I wanna be Spider Jerusalem when I grow up.

I am well into volume two of The Ballad of Halo Jones written by Alan Moore and drawn by Ian Gibson. Halo is now serving as a stewardess on a year-long space voyage on The Clara Pandy.

Ooh, that sounds like it would be something I'd like to read... I love Alan Moore's stuff. How are you finding it so far?

I am now reading volume 3 of The Ballad of Halo Jones, script by Alan Moore and art by Ian Gibson. Halo is now 29 years-old and destitute on a dustbowl world called PWUC. With nothing better to do, she enlists in the Armed Forces, and is engaged in a long-running battle on a series of worlds called Tarantula.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardofPants
    Ooh, that sounds like it would be something I'd like to read... I love Alan Moore's stuff. How are you finding it so far?
    I also love Alan Moore, particularly The Watchmen, but I have also read V For Vendetta, From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The Ballad of Halo Jones is an early work of his, originally published in 2000AD in serial fashion from 1984-1986 in three main volumes with distinct story arcs. The fact that the story was told in episodic fashion is obvious, but on the whole it avoids being too fragmented. Halo is basically an everywoman thrust into extraordinary circumstances. The opening few episodes are littered with future slang and alien names, which make the future science fiction setting hard to grasp. But now I have found my ground in the story, I am enjoying this just as much, if not more, than some of Moore’s later work, finding it a comic and poignant treatise on identity, poverty, war, love, morality and mortality. Ian Gibson's highly stylised black and white artwork is excellent, ranging from anarchic to lush, with “curvy-sharp” characters, spaceships, costumes and creatures that have a lovely sci-fi 80s charm.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I've been reading some Slaine by Pat Mills. Ambiguous feelings all around, I really do like ths story, I'm crazy about the mythology it's set in but the art is simply not to my taste. The extremely exaggerated and gory style in which so much is drawn just ruins it. In fact I'm quitting this series just because of that. There are all sorts of nice touches on a character like Slaine, from the woad to the clothing but the moment you start to literally expand a character from a powerfully built human to a moonstrous giant or like someone with the head of a balloon I'm off.

Shame really, because the story's good.

Anyway, what's up with everyone picking up these weekly/monthly comics? I always prefer the trades, for a variety of reasons (primarily financial and for the look and feel of them).

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I am waiting for the first two 'The Last Man' trades to come down.

I really like the Slaine stuff, and the more balloon like his head gets, the more I like it

Anyone into Faust?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I have a question about the Thor series.

The Dan Jurgens TPB here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...871667-5841737

Looks quite different from the (IMO lame) style of the rest of the series. Is it a really different style? The same question pertains to the work of Oeming.

I'm reading Ultimate X-Men and Essential X-Men at the moment and occasionally the Avengers and 'Wolverine and Deadpool'