Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Voodoo's one of those odd titles whereby it's essentially a relaunch of a smaller line book that seems to make no sense in a massive DC reboot unless you factor in the T&A approach. Then it just looks blatant and ridiculous. Witch Doctor writer Brandon Seifert weighed in on this https://plus.google.com/106043645119...ts/Dpx4yPqFtWJ and there's some good stuff at the bottom of his post fwiw.

He's written about it a few times by the looks of it. I'll give them a read

I'll write about it more on my blog one day soon too, I think.

I've finally caught up with the new DC Comics stuff I've got on subscription. Mixed bag, to be honest.

Green Lantern, New Guardians, GL Corps and Resurrection Man range from excellent to very good, but Red Lanterns and The Flash disappoint a little. I'm going to stick with them all for a while longer and re-evaluate them after half a dozen issues or so.

I really need to catch up on my Dark Tower omnibuses - I've got six of them, but only read the first. Not sure why I haven't bothered up to now...

X-23 - Issue #16
    Didn't understand bits of it, as I'm missing the 15 issues before, but....

Phil Noto on art. Yessssssss.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Been reading lots of comics lately.

The Good:

Blue Estate! I don't know if I've mentioned this one around here yet, but it is very entertaining on a monthly basis. It might be the best written comic I'm reading right now. The comic utilizes a rotating artist situation, where three or four different artists work on each issue, each handling a few pages. For the most part it works, but sometimes it can be strange.

Loose Ends A tale of southern crime romance. This is also extremely entertaining and well plotted. The art is off the chain. Very good, gives life to the comic. The sad thing is there is only 1 issue of the 4 issue series left.

Batwoman Three issues in and easily my favorite of the new DC stuffs. Kate Kane is a great protagonist. The story in this first arc is weird and creepy, which I love. OH, the art is pretty good too I guess.

The Bad:

Detective Comics. Batman done paint by numbers style. Pretty boring stuff, and nothing new going on. Dropped from my pull list.

The Ugly:

Batman Great writing, but I'm a Greg Capullo hater. The third issue wasn't as poorly drawn as the second, but still not that good.

Animal Man. A wiser man than myself told me that as long as the story is good, than the art doesn't matter. However, I really don't like looking at Travel Foreman's art in this title, and as much as I love Jeff Lemire, this isn't his best writing.

Started reading the Brightest Day vol 1 omnibus last night. I think I really need to have read the complete Blackest Night series rather than just one of the omnibuses to fully get all the details, but I'm still enjoying it

Going off the strength of Brian Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series, I decided to give his one other piece of comics work, Lost at Sea a go. Overall, I would say that it is not as strong as his work on Scott Pilgrim. His characters are as well developed, the "message" is a bit more contrived, and the art is not skillful...though in fairness, it was his first published work, so his art has come a long ways since then.

Here's a chunk from my review:

If you've ever been eighteen, and had little to no direction in your life, you will probably find something to relate to in Lost at Sea. This adventure of finding inner peace, and a bit of meaning in life is a story that I feel like many readers can relate to. That being said, the overall tone is a bit on the melancholy side, which was a slight deterrent for me. While I could relate to and connect with Raleigh's emotions, I often felt the book was a bit too whiny and inner-turmoil-ly for me.

This graphic novel shined brightest in terms of dialog. O'Malley really has a knack for making his dialog come to life, and I really got the sense I was listening to bunch of teens converse when I read the word bubbles.

Raleigh's character is well written, and she comes across with a feeling of familiarity. Compared to the other characters in the story she is by far, the stand out. The other characters seem to mostly be there to offset Raleigh's mopeyness with their humor. The Secondary characters in Scott Pilgrim served a similar offsetting purpose as well, but they were simultaneously memorable, and much loved. The secondary characters in Lost at Sea don't have that kind of staying power, and the overall story pales in comparison for that fact.

Overall, this is a solid story, and one that most readers can relate to. However,I had a hard time fully connecting to the narrative. Maybe I'm too far removed from the troubles that plague an eighteen year old to fully invest myself and care about what happens to that character, which may be the case here, but I think O'Malley goes a bit overboard with the emotions and doesn't give Raleigh enough other characteristics to make the reader become fully invested in her troubles. That's a writing trick that isn't easy to pull off, and O'Malley narrowly misses here, but I think he nailed it with the Scott Pilgrim series.

I tentatively recommend this as it is an interesting and entertaining look at the emotional processes of a young woman, and an interesting treatise on cat soul-theft, but in my opinion, not as strong or impactful as it could be. For Brian Lee O'Malley fans, this is definitely worth checking out.

CB, what do you think of Scott Pilgrim? I've thought about getting it, but it seems a bit... I don't know, wrong for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    CB, what do you think of Scott Pilgrim? I've thought about getting it, but it seems a bit... I don't know, wrong for me.
    Hey Loerwyn,

What about it do you feel is wrong for you? Maybe I can confirm or deny those fears...

I will say though that I loved Scott Pilgrim. I thought they were really funny, and reminded me a lot of my early 20's. I shared a lot of similarities with Scott and his friends. I pretty much devoured the whole series in the course of a week.

The story is basically about a young slacker dude who lacks maturity and experience in life, and is in the slow and often times painful experience of becoming a man. Plus, he has to defeat his gf's evil exes in arcade style battle.

In a nutshell, I would recommend it. I have reviews of the first two volumes up here at SFFworld under the "Comics" tab, and all six are reviewed at my blog....I tried my best to make them all as spoiler free as possible, so those might be helpful.

I hope that helps!

I've got to say it's the art style that doesn't sit well with me. It's like a Western interpretation of manga art, and to be honest I don't really care for manga. I read the preview of the first volume on Amazon and it just didn't really seem to grab me for some reason.

If I find the complete box set for like £20 or something, I might risk it, but I'm just not sure whether it's to my tastes or anything. I'll look up your reviews though, definitely.

I've got to say it's the art style that doesn't sit well with me. It's like a Western interpretation of manga art, and to be honest I don't really care for manga. I read the preview of the first volume on Amazon and it just didn't really seem to grab me for some reason.
    I don't really read any manga, so I can't say that the style of it moved me in one way or the other. I sorta just went with it. I will say that O'Malley's art improves noticeably with each subsequent volume, so there is that. I certainly wont force the series on you though, there's too much other great stuff out there to read...like Locke & Key. Hint, hint!

Yeah, yeah, CB I've got the FCBD '11 sampler sat next to my bed but I haven't got around to it yet, nor the one of Baltimore, nor even last year's Hellboy one. I think.

Anyway, next week should bring a large number of graphic novels. Hurrah!

I've got Baltimore: The Plague Ships in single issues sitting in my TBR pile just waiting for the right moment. They keep staring me down, so I'll probably have to read them sooner than later.

I'm mired in book 9 of Erikson's Malazan series right now though. Hoping to plow through before the holidays strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    I've got Baltimore: The Plague Ships in single issues sitting in my TBR pile just waiting for the right moment. They keep staring me down, so I'll probably have to read them sooner than later.
    I'm getting the HC of that. Over the next three weeks I hope to be getting:
    Baltimore: The Plague Ships (HC)
    The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria (HC)
    Batgirl: The Flood
    Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah
    Archie Comics: The Best of Archie

Uh... I forget what else. I'm sure there were others. Hellboy 9 & 10, I think.

I'm getting the HC of that. Over the next three weeks I hope to be getting:
    Baltimore: The Plague Ships (HC)
    The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria (HC)
    Batgirl: The Flood
    Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah
    Archie Comics: The Best of Archie

Uh... I forget what else. I'm sure there were others. Hellboy 9 & 10, I think.

Maybe we should do a Graphic Novel book of the month club with Baltimore: The Plague Ships....I'd be down.

I had to look up Jenny Finn 'cause I'd never heard of it....Looks amazing, and weird...which means I pretty much have to read it. Farel Dalrymple does some of the art, and I've seen his stuff before, it is pretty cool.