Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    @Quimby- Thanks!

I have the first four Criminal trades on my shelf, just need to get to them!

I'll do a proper write up later, but here's some brief thoughts:

X-23 #19 - A good ending to what was a slightly bizarre arc, but again, it's nice to see some very well-drawn art in a comic.
    X-23 #20 - Noto's art <3 A slightly more light-hearted issue at first, but I like how it went back and revisited Laura's past.
    Supergirl #1 - Little puzzled as to the why (did pre-Flashpoint never happen for her this time?), but the art was mostly good with a few moments of "ouch, her back", but her new costume grew on me very quickly.
    Demon Knights #1 - Was a little puzzled at first, but once I got my head around it I did enjoy it. Better still, women in actual armour. Bloody hell.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. Kalman's art for the X-23 covers is absolutely terrible. #19 looks stupid and romancey, #20 is just... bad. The cover for the Vol 2 HC isn't good, either. Ugh
    Last edited by Loerwyn; January 19th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.

I just finished The Neonomicon by Alan Moore. I thought it was very good, but it is very disturbing. Don't go near this if you're not prepared to be subjected to graphic sexual content and sexual violence. The book works as both a homage and a critique of Lovecraft, and tackles his racism and sexual mores head on. It's also very well drawn and I recommend it if you can stomach it. I did find one aspect potentially problematic (blacked out for spoilers but also because I'm touching on some of the book's adult content - don't read if you may be offended):

Spoiler:
    Moore makes a big thing about the fact that the protagonist Agent Brear's is a sex addict. During the book she is raped and the reader is not spared from any of the detail. I'm not sure if Moore decided to make Brears a sex addict so that the readers would find these scenes less shocking -- i.e. she can take it. If this is the case, I find that attitude deeply disturbing. I'd like to give Moore the benefit of the doubt and assume it's exactly that attitude he is trying to challenge and get the reader to question -- i.e. nobody should have these crimes committed against them, regardless of their previous sexual experiences.

If anybody's read the book, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

On a lighter note, I've also been dabbling in some of DC's New 52 titles.

I've found the Azzarello's Wonder Woman very overrated. It is retreading the same ground as Straczynski's Thor but in a less interesting or original way. It's not without its moments, but I think I'll be dropping it.

I also find Lemire's Animal Man somewhat overrated. I see why it's getting praise -- it's an interesting blend of horror and superhero story, but it hasn't hooked me. Not sure if I'll drop it or not.

I've been enjoying Morrison's Action Comics and I think this is a very interesting re-imagination of Superman. I like the way he's being true to the original concept but he's toned down Superman's powers, giving the stories a bit more tension and excitement. I'll probably be sticking with this one.

I still have to catch up with Snyder's work on Batman and Swamp Thing. I'm sure it will be excellent. I'm also curious about OMAC.
    Last edited by Luke_B; January 22nd, 2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Minor edit.

I also found Neonomicon to be incredibly disturbing. Almost didn't finish the mini-series. I read the first three issues, got so disgusted by the intense graphic sexual content and gave it up...then about 3-4 months later, picked up the last issue on a whim and read it.

I can't say that I enjoyed the story, but that was because of the content of the story. I thought Moore and Burrows did some interesting things with panel set ups, and use of the gutters to tell the story.

I've been reading some of the DC stuff too. Like you, I wasn't enamored by Animal Man either. I definitely prefer Lemire's Sweet Tooth stuff over his DC work.

My personal favorite title from the relaunch is Batwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    My personal favorite title from the relaunch is Batwoman.
    Batwoman! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Batwoman! <3

I heart her as well.

I read and reviewed the sequel to Brubaker and Phillips' Incognito, a little story called Incognito: Bad Influences.

The second time ain't like the first...

When I began to read the second Incognito trade, I was shocked to see that the plot was eerily similar to that of one of Brubaker's and Phillips' earlier works, Sleeper. It felt a little cheap that they would basically re-do the plot but with different characters. Being the trusting and patient guy that I am, I figured I'd stick around and see if they'd take the plot in any different directions this time around. For the most part, things stayed mostly the same, except for one major difference: The ways in which Zack Overkill and Holden Carver (the main guy in Sleeper) handle being a bad guy.

While Carver was very much reluctant, Overkill is just the opposite, and instead pretty much lives it up in a way that only a super powered baddie can. Whether its hard core drinking, prostitute orgies, or just enjoying cracking some skulls, Overkill seems to be back in his element. Though I thought there was more tension with Carver in Sleeper, it is sorta fun to revel with Overkill in his return to the uh, dark side.

Getting mixed up with the bad crowd isn't all fun and games, as Overkill quickly learns. He soon uncovers a nefarious plot, and is torn between doing the right thing, trusting his allies, and saving his own ass.

Once again, the high quality of storytelling and art was evident in Incognito Bad Influences, but it didn't really deliver too much in terms of new material, which for me, was ultimately disappointing. This was basically well written, well drawn rehashing of the plot from a previous title by the same creative team. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

I did some more crime comic reading, this time in the style of crime short stories from Dark Horse's Noir A Collection of Crime Comics. This one was hit or miss for me. The stuff I expected to be good was good, the stuff I wasn't so sure about, was anywhere from bad to good. Here's some of my review:

What you get in this slim little number is a bunch of comic shorts written and drawn by a plethora of creators, all working in black and white, pouring on that India ink to achieve the right atmosphere.

Its a pretty cool concept, and it works for some of the stories, but not all the stories. The biggest problem that I had, was that many of the stories that were included in this collection walked a very fine line between being a crime story and being a horror story, and on a couple occasions, were pretty much straight up horror. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with horror, but when I'm reading a collection of crime noir comics, I want the comics to actually be crime noir, not horror.

The highlights here were the stories by Lemire, Brubaker, Phillips, Moon and Ba, but I enjoyed a few others as well, most notably, The Last Hit written by Chris Offutt, and drawn by Kano and Stefano Guadiano. The remainder of the tales ran the gamut from good to bad, and everywhere in between. As much as I enjoy the short form, and love checking out new comic writers and creators, both of which were amply provided for here, overall, I'd say this one was a bit of a disappointment; Mostly because it didn't really deliver on the crime noir as advertised.

Just read Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah

Yeah, totally not weird, especially when you consider nearly all the fish in it saying "Doom...".

Not weird at all.

I did some more Greg Rucka reading recently. This time I checked out one of his earlier works, Whiteout. Pretty solid stuff. His characterizations were as great as ever...the guy can write women lead characters amazingly well. His crime/mystery writing chops weren't as strong back then but still pretty good.

Definitely worth a read for fans of the writer, and fans of stuff with females in the lead role. Rucka is quickly becoming one of my favorite comic writers.

Read Fables vol 1: Legends in Exile over the course of two nights.

Not entirely sure what to make of it, but I can see why people love the series. The art is really quite good (a few hiccups here and there, but generally consistent) and the characters are all fairly interesting. Despite being from 2002, the art looks very... 80s, I'd say. The colouring, the lines, the shading - but I like it. It's pretty funky.

Will have to pick up volume two at some point.

The first issue of Spider-Woman: Origin arrived today (it was super cheap). Could definitely tell it had been drawn by one of the Luna Brothers. I found it quite interesting though, it definitely pulled me in to some degree although I'll perhaps not bother continuing as I'm not overly interested in Marvel's stuff at the moment.

Also been reading a few Archie things due to the Archie app on iOS (Betty & Veronica, Betty & Veronica Spectacular, Life With Archie #16 - yes, THAT issue - and some others) and I've definitely enjoyed them, although I won't say I laughed at all of them.

Having a hard time keeping up with my comics reading lately. I think I need to cut a few items from my pull list.

The stuff that stands out:

Batwoman continues to thrill. With a new story arc comes a new artist, Amy Reeder. She's got the reigns for now and it looks like she and JH3 will be trading the art duties on story arcs. (Probably the only way JH3 can keep up with the monthly schedule.)

Reeder's art is great, and she uses a similar layout techniques as JH3, and even does the art style mash up like he does as well. I prefer JH3, but Reeder is certainly no slouch.

***I think Loerwyn has had some of Reeder's art as an avatar at some point in her illustrious avatar history.***

Blue Estate is probably my favorite comic of the moment. The comic is a tough one to predict as far as what will happen next, but whatever does happen is always incredibly entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    ***I think Loerwyn has had some of Reeder's art as an avatar at some point in her illustrious avatar history.***
    That I have, specifically what is now the cover to Batwoman #6 - although it was originally intended to be a variant for an earlier issue.

I've seen some previous of Reeder's work, and I'm really on the fence. She does some really good panelling and art, yet in some of the more action-y scenes the biggest issue is, well, Batwoman.

What I suggested on CBR - and it turns out this was the approach in Batwoman #0 - would be for Reeder to do the Kathy/Flashback scenes and Williams to do the Batwoman ones. Williams' action scenes in Elegy were just to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    That I have, specifically what is now the cover to Batwoman #6 - although it was originally intended to be a variant for an earlier issue.
    I knew it looked familiar!

I've seen some previous of Reeder's work, and I'm really on the fence. She does some really good panelling and art, yet in some of the more action-y scenes the biggest issue is, well, Batwoman.
    Yeah, I wasn't totally in love with her, but I tried to keep in mind that she has some incredibly HUGE shoes to fill, and not judge her too harshly. Agreed, her action scenes aren't as good as Williams' stuff. Her Batwoman does look a little off...maybe a bit too cartoony for me. It's hard to put my finger on it.

What I suggested on CBR - and it turns out this was the approach in Batwoman #0 - would be for Reeder to do the Kathy/Flashback scenes and Williams to do the Batwoman ones. Williams' action scenes in Elegy were just to die for.
    I can see why they have to do the artist switch up. Williams works pretty slow, and there's no way he can keep up with a monthly title. A bunch of early issues were already in the bag prior to the relaunch, so that has helped, and having Reeder do issues 6-12 will help too. I saw on William's blog the other day that he's already working on drawing the first issue of arc 3 now.