Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
    Artwork from the Score.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    What kind of man tries to knock off a whole town?

This reminds me of something (switch TAB to imdb):
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075783/combined

Darwyn Cooke is a very, very good artist. I've not really read anything of his but I was almost swayed by Minutemen purely because of Cooke.

So, as Rob knows, I too have sworn off DC Comics now. Not because of Before Watchmen, though, but because they've benched Stephanie Brown. AGAIN. Sigh.

Anyway... um. Yeah. SDCC this weekend, and I've largely shrugged and rolled my eyes with regards to Marvel and DC, but Image have announced some funky stuff coming out next year, and the Will Eisner awards happened. I think Mark Waid won three, but (more importantly for me) Vera Brosgol won an award for Anya's Ghost (AMAZING graphic novel) and Tyler Crook (current lead on B.P.R.D.) won something like Most Promising Newcomer.

Aspen's Idolized starts properly next month, too, which I'm kinda looking forward to. I'm just worried that it'll be a typical Aspen title, which means BOOBS and BUTT everywhere.

Top Cow is bringing Cyber Force back, though, so yay for Velocity!

Have any of you ever thought of doing your own Sci-Fi or Fantasy comics with Poser 3D, photoshop, and Manga Studio EX?

Nope. I have the creative talent of a dead tree.

Today I bought:

Trades:
    Rachel Rising vol. 1: The Shadow of Death - Terry Moore
    Maggie the Mechanic: A Love & Rockets Book (vol. 1 vol. 1 or something like that) - Jaime Hernandez
    Judge Anderson - The Psi-Files Volume 1 - Various

Issues:
    Fatima: The Blood Spinners #2 - Gilbert Hernandez
    Alabaster: Wolves #4 - Kiernan, Lieber, etc.
    Revival #1 - Um, I forget
    Debris #1 - I also forget
    B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Exorcism #2 - Mike Mignola, Cameron Stewart, Dave Stewart
    Thought Bubble 2011 Anthology - Various (done for a con last year)
    Blood Blokes #1 & #2 (Digital) - Adam Cadwell (local-ish comics creator)

I read Fatima #2 and... was a little disappointed, I must admit. You don't get a lot for the $4 cover price, but it's not bad. Might have been a slightly weak issue, though. Exorcism #2 was pretty good, too, but I'm not quite sure Cameron Stewart was on top of his game for the art duties, and I don't think Dave Stewart particularly flattered it either. Not got to the other issues yet.

As for trades, I'm about a third of the way through Judge Anderson and loving it. I mean these stories are like 30+ years old at times and widdle all over a lot of modern comics, both in terms of writing and the art. I mean, really, an artist for a weekly British comic being miles better than most of those hired for monthlies by The Big Two? I laugh. Terry Moore's Rachel Rising, though? Single. Best. Trade. Of. 2012. So. Far. It's AMAZING. The art, the tone, the writing? Amazing.

EDIT: I also forgot the Adventure Time spin-off Marceline & the Scream Queens #1. It was... okay. Forgettable, but not exactly bad. But either way, the Adventure Time comics haven't come close to the brilliance of the cartoon.
    Last edited by Loerwyn; July 26th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Wow, it's been a while since I've made an appearance around here. Anyway, been reading lots of comics lately.

On the top of my list is FABLES. I've blazed through the first four trades worth of material, and I am incredibly impressed. Fables is tons of fun. I highly recommend it.

Loewryn- I foresee you changing your avatar to Snow White's if you read this.

In single issues, I've been keeping up with Prophet, which has gotten really weird and hard to follow lately. Kinda frustrating given how much I loved the opening story arc.

I also read Debris which I thought was ok, but not awesome. Rossmo's art is much more clean looking than his usual stuff, which is kinda a nice change, as I've felt his work is a bit busy looking at times.

I need to get over to the comic shop so I can pick up my copy of Godzilla: Half Century War written and drawn by James Stokoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Loewryn- I foresee you changing your avatar to Snow White's if you read this.
    Read trade one, seem to remember enjoying it, not really pushed on with it. There's series I'm much more interested in reading right now, particularly Luna Brothers ones

Still haven't managed to read Maggie the Mechanic yet, either. Finding it hard to get into. Haven't touched Alabaster: Wolves #4 as well, but I'm waiting to get the fifth later this month before I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Read trade one, seem to remember enjoying it, not really pushed on with it. There's series I'm much more interested in reading right now, particularly Luna Brothers ones
    Hmm, I pictured it as something you would really enjoy.

I was pretty skeptical when I started out, but was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it as much as I have been.

I did enjoy it, but I have to confess I've really no interest in continuing with it above anything else. Whenever I come close to buying the second trade, something stops me. No idea what, but I'm just struggling to find the motivation even though I'm sure I'll like the second trade.

I think the sheer number of collected volumes (I think there's 18 as of this moment) and all the spin offs can be VERY intimidating. However, the fellah who runs my comic shop said that really, the first 75 issues worth of material (Trades 1-11) is the stuff to read. That first 75 issues is the stuff that was originally planned to be the Fables story, but what with the popularity and all, extra stories were added and continue to be added.

I heard that too (probably from you, actually), but 'size' isn't a problem (Hello? Mignolaverse fan ). It's just I don't have a 'push'. Add into that the fact it's on Vertigo and my recent gripes with DC, and I feel like I'm just going towards Image and Dark Horse anyway (and Rebellion/2000AD, Fantagraphics, Abstract Studios, etc), and me picking it up of my own accord is unlikely. Well, we'll see if I get the second volume later this year for my birthday or Christmas.

What Fantagraphics stuff have you been reading? I've mostly read their Jacques Tardi stuff, and a few others. I think you'd enjoy Linda Medley's Castle Waiting. I need to get my hands on the second volume.

Have you read Blacksad? That's a Dark Horse publication and it is gorgeous to behold...good story too.

The only Fantagraphics stuff I have right now is the first Love & Rockets volume, but I'm hoping to get into it or at least its more fringe stuff. It's just this first volume I need to get past

Castle Waiting is on my wishlist and has been for a few years now, and I will get it. Eventually. It's at the bottom though so I often forget about it.

And no, not heard of Blacksad.