Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
    I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Castle Waiting is a good one, worth checking out. It's a feel-good book. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Love and Rockets. I've heard nothing but the best of things about it, but that's all second-hand information.

Blacksad is great. Anthropomorphic animals crime noir. So, yeah, right up my alley.

I have reviews for both Castle Waiting and Blacksad at the blog if you are interested in learning more.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    I'll be interested to hear what you think of Love and Rockets. I've heard nothing but the best of things about it, but that's all second-hand information.
    Right now my thoughts are "Should have bought Strangers in Paradise instead", but I'm only a few pages in... and struggling, but in fairness I haven't really sat down with it and tried to push on.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Right now my thoughts are "Should have bought Strangers in Paradise instead", but I'm only a few pages in... and struggling, but in fairness I haven't really sat down with it and tried to push on.
    Strangers In Paradise was a fantastic series.Funny,sexy and dangerous.Love&Rockets was interesting,but I read the series out of order and never knew what was really going on half the time.

Next time I'm going comic shopping, if my funds allow (they should!) I'll pick up the first volume of Strangers in Paradise. November should bring the second Rachel Rising, too, and I'll definitely pick that and possibly his How To Draw... trade up. He's got a great style, and his characterisation is just second-to-none.

As for L&R, from what I can gather its strength depends on who is writing/drawing. The Luna Brothers were fairly consistent with their duties on their few series, but it seems to me that Gilbert and Jaime are pretty independent, so Jaime's stories look and read differently to Gilbert's, even though they're the same series. Jaime's art is more 'realistic' (well, not really), whereas Gilbert goes totally for the massively enhanced women.

No, I mean massively.

Yet, oddly, it seems more natural and respectful than, say, Adam Hughes' big-boobed women. Maybe it's also because Gilbert's women tend to have a figure to back it up.

Registered as What?
    Next time I'm going comic shopping, if my funds allow (they should!) I'll pick up the first volume of Strangers in Paradise. November should bring the second Rachel Rising, too, and I'll definitely pick that and possibly his How To Draw... trade up. He's got a great style, and his characterisation is just second-to-none.

As for L&R, from what I can gather its strength depends on who is writing/drawing. The Luna Brothers were fairly consistent with their duties on their few series, but it seems to me that Gilbert and Jaime are pretty independent, so Jaime's stories look and read differently to Gilbert's, even though they're the same series. Jaime's art is more 'realistic' (well, not really), whereas Gilbert goes totally for the massively enhanced women.

No, I mean massively.

Yet, oddly, it seems more natural and respectful than, say, Adam Hughes' big-boobed women. Maybe it's also because Gilbert's women tend to have a figure to back it up.
    True. Adam Hughes' women are a "bit" too perfect, still does draw real pretty looking cover art.Thiugh his sequential art leaves a lot too desire as it is way too static.Just like Dreg Land.

Hughes can make some beautiful covers, but even at his best he's this shocking mix of Greg Land and Phil Noto.

What do I mean? Well, his women tend to be ridiculously thin and suffer from mono-face. I refer you to his cover for Fairest #1 in which many of the women have shockingly similar faces and many have oddly large busts.

Plus, now I think about it, that cover doesn't quite work. It looks like a bunch of random pictures slapped together.

Registered User theonefirestorm's Avatar
    Venom Issue 13 Circle of Four
    I mainly bought this because I found out Blackheart is in it a super villain I think is very underrated.
    I'm very pleased that he was done justice. He was able to fool a guy into signing his soul, bring some of Hell to Earth, trick the female Ghost Rider into opening the door to the Hell that is ruled by Mephisto, Blackheart able to get a door to Hell Open with Ghost Rider powering the centrifuge opening the door if Ghost Rider stops spinning the door would reverse plus pull Earth down to Hell, tell his father He'll have more power than he could dream plus torment him for ertenity, and creates Antitheses of Venom (Flash Thompson), X23, Ghost Rider, and Red Hulk using Helians mirror.
    A fight between Red Hulk and Venom, X23 finding out about she is being cloned, art was terrific, a large picture shown of Las Vegas being destoryed in a hellish picture includes demons, terrific dialogue including most of what Blackheart says including hwen talking to his Father Mephisto.
    Johnny Blaze is shown talking Alejandra at a small restaurant, also helps her out by taking over spinning using his motercycle so Ghost Rider can go fight Blackheart

Even Red Hulk tells X23 he read the Avengers file of him as he said "Easy on The Threats. Read This THing's Avenger's File." "Real.Real Bad."
    Art was excellent.

I thought X-23 was well aware she was a clone of Wolverine?

More comics and thoughts and stuff:

Terry Moore's Echo (Complete Edition) - Quite good. The art is easily the strongest thing about it, and I liked how not all questions were answered, but... that was also a bit of a weakness as some questions seemed to have little-to-no importance at all.

Gilbert Hernandez' Fatima: The Blood Spinners #3 - Weirdest issue yet. Almost grotesque, yet in a way I couldn't put it down. One more to go.

Idolized #1 - Aspen's first superhero series, and also one of their few series that isn't still using the late Michael Turner's art style. This is 'technically' the second issue (after #0), and I'm definitely intrigued to see where this is going.

Archie #636 - Not entirely sure it was worth the wait (or the two copies), but it wasn't bad. It felt unfinished and a little rushed more than anything.

The Best of Archie Comics volume 2 - Pretty much along the same lines as the first volume. Some good stories, some not-so-good ones, same binding that makes it hard to read at times.

Gingerbread Girl - More than once it's narrated by a pidgeon. That is all you need to know.

Velocity #1-4 - Interesting spin-off from Cyberforce. Good humour, fairly good art (sometimes a bit 'fanservice' but seems slightly tongue-in-cheek about it from time to time), and I enjoyed it.

And there's a few more I've read recently but I've forgotten.

Just finished reading the entire Garth Ennis Hitman run and I think it's already one of my favorite DC books.

Fables, I've read up to where the heroes are preparing to raid the Fairy Tale land with the US army. For some reason that turned me off, but I'll try to catch up soon.
    Last edited by JoshuaD; October 8th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

I've just started Fables, lets see if it's worth my time! Also wanted to get my hands in Judge Dredd, caught my interest after seeing the movie.

Been reading Grant Morrison's run through the Batman books. It's pretty hit and miss with me. I've enjoyed the Black Glove story line. I also reread Final Crisis and I still think that series was a mess. Pretty art though by Jones and Pacheco. Currently, at the Return of Bruce Wayne. Man, I wish Sprouse would draw more comics. I love his work.

Also been reading the Fury Max series. I enjoy Ennis' take on characters like Fury or Punisher. Especially when he is paired up with an artist as good as Goran Parlov.

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Teves View Post
    I've just started Fables, lets see if it's worth my time! Also wanted to get my hands in Judge Dredd, caught my interest after seeing the movie.
    I just finished an epic run through the Fables series...well, the first 11 trades worth of material. Fables is pretty damn good stuff. I read up through the war with the Adversary, which is what I consider the essential Fables read. After that it seems like they just kept the series going so that they could milk a cash cow.

I just read 9th, 10th and 11th trades over the course of three days, and I gotta say, the final stretch is quite entertaining. The last volume got a bit predictable, but still, it provided a pretty good wrap up to the portion of the series I want to read.

Have you tried Fairest, Corporal Blues? I've not touched it with even a curious eye due to it having Adam Hughes covers.

Have you tried Fairest, Corporal Blues? I've not touched it with even a curious eye due to it having Adam Hughes covers.
    I'd consider reading the latest story arc of Fairest once it is collected in trades since it's written by Lauren Beukes. I've enjoyed her prose work so far, and I'd like to see what she can do in the comics medium.